Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-shaped steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I've never thought about non-round steering wheels in my previous cars. But the 914 just doesn't have much leg room under the wheel - especially when getting in/out.

I think I want a D-shaped/flat bottom wheel. But I've never used one, and wonder if it could be a distraction in quick cornering (such as AX) driving?

I want some feedback on this from guys who have used them. Please share your thoughts/experiences....

IPB Image
Brian_Boss
The only thing I've driven with a D shaped wheel is a kart (steering wheel only turns about 45 degrees each way but I would think the wheel pictured would be very irritating on a vehicle where you routinely turn the wheel far enough to have to reposition your hands. Also, if your leg is in the space "saved" by the flat spot, it will hit when turning.

Just my .02 - YMMV
Crazyhippy
Depends on if you shuffle steer, or cross your arms...

Have you tried a smaller wheel 1st? there is a HUGE difference from stock, and none of the d-downsides

BJH
drgchapman
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jan 22 2007, 01:47 PM) *

Have you tried a smaller wheel 1st? there is a HUGE difference from stock, and none of the d-downsides

BJH

agree.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jan 22 2007, 01:47 PM) *

BJH

Oh, by the way............What's the speckled circle about in your signature?
Crazyhippy
Are you colorblind?? If so, no need to know.

If not, it's like the old school colorblind tests. It just has more info in it than the "real" tests do. All in the name of humor of course.

BJH
nebreitling
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Jan 22 2007, 01:37 PM) *

The only thing I've driven with a D shaped wheel is a kart (steering wheel only turns about 45 degrees each way but I would think the wheel pictured would be very irritating on a vehicle where you routinely turn the wheel far enough to have to reposition your hands. Also, if your leg is in the space "saved" by the flat spot, it will hit when turning.

Just my .02 - YMMV

agree.gif without a much quicker steering ratio, i'd stay round. just get a super small one.
SGB
I'm colorblind. Its red & green dots but I can't make out the number or whatever.

I was taught to never let go (cross-arm) except when shifting.

I have a stock wheel but I think the one pictured would be great.
pbanders
I have a small wheel in my 914. I have aftermarket seats (Scheel) and with a stock sized wheel I don't think there'd be ANY leg room. Advantage is the quicker turning, disadvantages are that you can't see the gauges very well, and that it's pretty hair-trigger on the freeway.
mattp
I have the wheel in question on my 914, (it came with it) it's ok to use. Looks kind of neat, but works well, no problem with turns (I am not a hand over hand guy, a shuffler) only issue is it blocks the guages somewhat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.