Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: True to Form>or Cheap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914runnow
Adding yet another collectible piece of magazine advertising, to the collection..
I usually scan them for anomalies.....
After 12 years of building this library..I can't believe I missed this one..
Not One 914 has an antenna on it...
I have seen color variations on the same ad same years but different mag..
Thatz norm..
Sometimes color other times B/W....
The early ones used Euro models Not USA spec...
I have seen them use 72 interiors for 73 year.....
And the list goes on n on..
Any one else have my 'GeeK Disease' and found anything themselves..
PLEASE do Not go into B Johnsons book..
That is an entire thread in itself.....
But feel free to throw down..
Dealer info Brochures etc, things you have found...
This flies under the History Part here confused24.gif ?????
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 23 2007, 12:28 AM) *

Adding yet another collectible piece of magazine advertising, to the collection..
Thatz norm..

You know, I 've never noticed that before, but I'll be digging into my archives.
I stay away from Doc Brett's book most of the time - too many anomalies. Not a bad reference, but doesn't deal with the early year vagaries enough. Let em see what I come up with.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 22 2007, 09:28 PM) *

Look again Kimosabe... biggrin.gif

Some of the USA mag ads by Porsche-Audi and the Euro ads by VWP have the antennas. Images of the ads are on my webpage...
914runnow
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 24 2007, 09:38 PM) *

Some of the USA mag ads by Porsche-Audi and the Euro ads by VWP have the antennas. Images of the ads are on my webpage...

chair.gif icon_bump.gif
bootyshake.gif Oppppps that is me...I did find one on the 'Surf' and 'Afford'..and '29 mpg' and 'Power 74'..The ones I did not quick flip to..
My bad as I looked thru and quick fliped thru 73 and most of 74 and some early mag ads..
Thanx for the correction.... alfred.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 24 2007, 11:38 PM) *

Kimosabe?
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 23 2007, 01:28 AM) *

Thatz norm..

I was told by someone about 20 years ago, all the 914's without a specific Radio option ordered, were made with radio delete , and the ones coming here to America gave the dealer the option to plug in anything he wanted. Thus the reason why there are no two places on a 914 fender that are drilled the same. And, why if you take off some of the masts, there is a HOLE that looks like Goober used an Ice Auger on it instead of a hole saw. Some are on the left, some on the right, some close, some far down the fender....some in the cowl area in front of the glass.
My friends, low mile ORIGINAL in almost every way 74-2.0 had it drilled thru the back trunk deck lid.....RIGHT smack in the middle of the freakin' thing..... barf.gif

He cured that without the expensive replacement , and/or reweld and repaint option, by going the route of adding an Aero look black mast off a later model Golf. Looks fast standing still, but NOT very CW.
mrgreenjeans
Bleyseng
Yep, the yardboy did the radio installs after cleaning off all the cosmoline.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 18 2007, 01:46 AM) *

And if "Goober" didn't do it ( he was the yard lackey with his dominant right hand activated) , placing the mast on the left fender, then his kissin' cousin with the four buck teeth and the slightly askew "lefty" fetish, got commissioned. To do the hole on the right side.

IF---- he wasn't out back draining the lube tank or cleaning the women's john, or making sure his "peep" holes over the men's urinal were still good for viewing.

This explains the possiblities of the "chattered out" hole in the cowl syndrome, when kissin' cousin Buford, wielded the ice-hole auger and metal chisel, instead of the nice new Rockwell speedbit; the one that that Goober had left in his back pocket after ripping ???? how many ???? backrests that day as they came off the transporter ?

Hence the variety of fender antennae placement on our little queens. And the numerous little areas of "patina" in our interiors.

Each one is blessed with a "special" little birthmark, making them all unique in a wonderful little way............

Buford and Goober----- Here's to you ! chair.gif

Your great Uncle that owned the Porsche /Audi dealership should have fired your asses the first day you screwed up, but he knew then his only hope would have been to hire their other cousin , Daisy Belle, and she was out in the countryside either rasslin' the wild boar, or pickin' turnip greens for supper.

Couldn't be bothered working on stupid little furrin' cars when she could be ar15.gif alligators and skinnin' coons asses......

mrgreenejeans
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 18 2007, 12:46 AM) *

That's exactly why I didn't let them put one on my 914!

Still don't have one, 35 years later.
Bleyseng
My friend grew up working at his dad's VW dealership in the 60's doing exactly that. His job was cleaning off the comoline with a steamcleaner, installing radios, and washing the cars in the lot.

He went to work for VW/Porsche as a Regional Rep and attended many of the meetings in Germany at VW/Porsche AG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.