Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Billet Side Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
The 901 has a side plate that flexes do to the middle motor situation. Ultimately, it can pull studs. In the 911 with the transaxle flipped it doesn't due to the torque going up against the case.

The billet side plate helps this problem.

We have a group buy opportunity. Don Welch who makes a very tasty billet intermediate plate for the 901 is willing to make a run of side plates if we can get 8 committed buyers. I am one so that leaves 7 to go. He says he estimates they will be under $250.

State your interest and I will get you his contact information.
Aaron Cox
interesting...

i always thought that the intermediate plate was the only weakness.... but this makes *some* sense too....

very cool guys.

free bump
TimT
Im interested
hars914
Put me on the list.
ConeDodger
If you guys are truely interested in this group buy you should contact Don Welch at this email and tell him. He will get your phone number so he can answer any questions you have... info@dwdesignwerks.com

You racers should snatch one of these up to put on the shelf for your next rebuild.
JWest
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jan 23 2007, 10:15 AM) *

The 901 has a side plate that flexes do to the middle motor situation. Ultimately, it can pull studs. In the 911 with the transaxle flipped it doesn't due to the torque going up against the case.

You have that wrong. The 911 application has the ring gear up against the side cover and being forced outward trying to push the cover and studs out of the case. The 914 has the ring gear against the cast-in side of the case.
brant
I'm not actually sold about the necessity of these.
sorry not trying to be a buzz kill, but not sure that these are necessary even for race cars.

Aaron Cox
wouldnt it be cool if they had fins on em.. and a -8 AN fitting for a pump pickup?

tongue.gif just throwin out "while you are CNC machining" ideas smile.gif
McMark
Or at least leave a boss for drilling and tapping. wink.gif
TimT
whats the status of this?

Ive emailed info@dwdesignwerks and left a pm on both sites and havent heard back
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TimT @ Jan 26 2007, 09:24 PM) *

Ive emailed info@dwdesignwerks and left a pm on both sites and havent heard back

Don is a busy guy... I have dealt with him before and he is fast. Once he has them made you will have it almost the next day...
Rob
ConeDodger
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 24 2007, 12:40 PM) *

sorry not trying to be a buzz kill, but not sure that these are necessary even for race cars.

My favorite mechanic Ron Kain who Brad says is "the fastest 914 pilot in Northern California" says I need it. He has no financial motivation to mislead me. I don't know. But for only $250 I can afford to have him be wrong.
brant
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jan 27 2007, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 24 2007, 12:40 PM) *

My favorite mechanic Ron Kain who Brad says is "the fastest 914 pilot in Northern California" says I need it. He has no financial motivation to mislead me. I don't know. But for only $250 I can afford to have him be wrong.

Rob,
thats good logic.

I have a new tranny in my car built by a true 914 guru last year
we ended up with $6,000 into the transmission.
he didn't think I should bother.

he did say that now at 250hp he is converting all of the 914 race cars over to 915's instead of things like this.
(cheaper in the long run)
but I'm only shooting for 200hp when I'm done
his own car is a pretty torquey 4cylinder with 205hp and I don't believe he uses this.

he has probably built 20 914 race cars at this point.
in fact I think his 4cylinder was 10 seconds a lap quicker than rich bonetempi's when they raced in California a couple of years ago.

so I'm basing my opinion on his experience just like you are on your guys.
still your logic is sound.
brant
sww914
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jan 27 2007, 11:53 AM) *

Don is a busy guy... I have dealt with him before and he is fast. Once he has them made you will have it almost the next day...
Rob

Don dropped his computer a couple of days ago and it was fatal. He hasn't been able to access the net because he's been busy trying to recover the data on his hard drive.
He'll be back here soon.
He's working all weekend on more oil tanks, the last 2 batches sold much faster than he anticipated and we 914'ers need more.
If you pm me, I'll give you his phone number.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jan 27 2007, 11:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jan 27 2007, 11:53 AM) *

Rob

Don dropped his computer a couple of days ago and it was fatal. He hasn't been able to access the net because he's been busy trying to recover the data on his hard drive.
He'll be back here soon.
He's working all weekend on more oil tanks, the last 2 batches sold much faster than he anticipated and we 914'ers need more.
If you pm me, I'll give you his phone number.

Has Don gotten his computer up and operating yet?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.