Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flares - alignment with tires and wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dinobx
Hello all,

OK, so I'm going through the process of mounting some GT flares. I'm using 7x16 and 9x16 inch fuchs. On the rear of the car, I have some modified 914 5-lug hubs which I'll be getting rid of soon. I'll be mounting 911 hubs and rotors.

Is the alignment of the 914 and 911 hubs the same? That is, can I mount my fuchs on the rear and expect to have the same spacing from the trailing arm outward?

Second item. The factory used spacers on the rear for the GT. I have some 2 inch spacers but I'm concerned that this is too much. Any assistance on that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dino
74-914 3.6 915
GeorgeRud
The 9x16 rear Fuchs will not need 2" spacers, you won't have enough space with the stock GT flares. I'm running 8x15" fuchs in the rear, and only use a 1/4 " spacer to fill the flare with a reasonable clearance on the 225 wide tire.

The later style wheels need a large spacer to make up for the much different offset, but the Fuchs should not. There is some room in front for spacers, bkut if you mount the wheels too far out with spacers, you are going to have some very real issues with the steering angle.
GeorgeRud
I would also try to fit the new wheels and tires on the car and then use them to do the final fitting of the flares. That way, the flares can be nicely centered on the wheels.

There is a nice article on how to mount and weld in the flares on another post.
Phoenix-MN
Don't mount your flares without having the rockers in place, this will define the proper positioning.

Check this
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=58028&hl=

I posted a drawing of mounting measurements from a 916 and GT
Dinobx
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

I've received multiple conflicting responses on the whole spacer issue. Some people are saying do not run them and some are saying that you have to for clearance purposes in both front and rear.

Are there any sources from factory information on what the GT's ran?

Dino
PRS914-6
I am running 9x16's with 245's. No clearance issues, no spacers. With 7's in the front, you will need to add about 1" to look decent. Hubs won't change anything.
Click to view attachment
Dinobx
That looks great. I think what I've discovered is that the factory used smaller width wheels, 6" fronts and 7" rears, hence the need for the spacers on both front and rear. I think the issue for the front is the clearance of the inside fender with 7" wheels, but on the rear it seems there shouldn't be a need for spacers for the 9" wheels.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

This project will get done one day.

Dino

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 25 2007, 11:13 AM) *

I am running 9x16's with 245's. No clearance issues, no spacers. With 7's in the front, you will need to add about 1" to look decent. Hubs won't change anything.
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.