Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This should be interesting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooltimes
This should be interesting to some needing this rare to find seal.
Ebay item # 300072947535
Old 914 windshield top seal rubber, the one that is unobtainable I have heard. This one is used and was pulled from a 73 so it says. Cracks and holes in it too.

I have no connection to this item other than seeing what it fetches. Any guesses?
Just posting because others wanting one of those may not have seen.

TCB.
Cooley

boxstr
Appears to be a very good used seal. And No Reserve.
Curious to see where this one goes.
CCLIN160076328968
cooltimes
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 23 2007, 11:42 PM) *

Appears to be a very good used seal. And No Reserve.
Curious to see where this one goes.
CCLIN160076328968

Holy cow! It's already up to $102.50
StratPlayer
I'm sure glad mine is in great shape, I wouldn't want to try and hunt one down now. Pay through the a** for one of those.
cooltimes
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 24 2007, 11:09 AM) *

I'm sure glad mine is in great shape, I wouldn't want to try and hunt one down now. Pay through the a** for one of those.

I have an ulterior motive since I own a seal better than that one seen on Ebay.
Mine is new, (never used) and the rubber across the top of the seal apparently has the metal embedded inside it for hidden strength as I was told some better ones had.
A hand held magnet will cause the seal to swing toward magnet is how I know and I had someone interested but found out my delivery method wasn't going to pan out for me like I wanted and I let the connection fade.
Does anyone really know what my windshield top rubber seal is worth? I really would like to know so here I am, not asking for or taking offers, but trying to find what that seal is actually worth.

edited later:
But I am going to sell it when I know what is fair to both the buyer and me.
nomore9one4
I seen one go for $900 on Ebay. I know thats crazy!
robby750
I sold a used one on Ebay that looked a little worse than that and got $267.00 for it. The guy that bought it sent me an e-mail saying how happy he was to get it.
Chris Pincetich
Mike - Dude, I have been paying attention too (but I will hold on to my good one for my car). Your primo used seal is worth someone comming over to your house and getting your engine running - or swapping in a good 1.7. Either task is in the $200-$300 range. Of course, the labor charge is going to make this mean you better grill a mean BBQ to cover labor charges beerchug.gif

I can see it now "Want to Trade: windshield/targa seal for running 914"
Ya never know, it might work biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
There I am sure will be an aftermarket supply of these windshield top seals any week and certainly before we all get our cars out for the spring!
nomore9one4
I still have a perfect un-installed seal waiting for my next project to get that far! ph34r.gif
dlo914
i sold one a few months back on ebay for $160. Worse condition than the one currently being sold.
cooltimes
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 24 2007, 12:42 PM) *

Mike - Dude, I have been paying attention too (but I will hold on to my good one for my car). Your primo used seal is worth someone comming over to your house and getting your engine running - or swapping in a good 1.7. Either task is in the $200-$300 range. Of course, the labor charge is going to make this mean you better grill a mean BBQ to cover labor charges beerchug.gif

Mine is NOT a used windshield top rubber seal. It is new. It came from AA in December 2000 and has been kept in a closet in my bedroom.
It is the better seal according to an expert source description given to me I can't name but who knows that AA had some of those metal inserted ones as well as the reproductions on their shelves and bins back in 2000.
I was offered $500.00 for it but got stymied on the delivery method. I had planned on a real time, in person delivery, to assure money in hand and rubber seals were a bona fide, handshaking, done deal.
History lesson. I didn't pay a cent for it. My box of rubbers was a gift to me that I never have used and I wasn't planning on a sexual reaming to anyone wanting them but your idea of giving for work done to get it running is hilarious but heck, why not if someone really needs it. Trade for a running 914? Better. LOL
Seeing the Dr. 914 reply following yours says that some type of these windshield top rubber seals will be on the market by Spring so I might do something dumb and keep them in the closet. I will never use them.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Jan 24 2007, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 24 2007, 12:42 PM) *

Mine is NOT a used windshield top rubber seal. It is new. It came from AA in December 2000 and has been kept in a closet in my bedroom.
It is the better seal according to an expert source description given to me I can't name but who knows that AA had some of those metal inserted ones as well as the reproductions on their shelves and bins back in 2000.
I was offered $500.00 for it but got stymied on the delivery method. I had planned on a real time, in person delivery, to assure money in hand and rubber seals were a bona fide, handshaking, done deal.
History lesson. I didn't pay a cent for it. My box of rubbers was a gift to me that I never have used and I wasn't planning on a sexual reaming to anyone wanting them but your idea of giving for work done to get it running is hilarious but heck, why not if someone really needs it. Trade for a running 914? Better. LOL
Seeing the Dr. 914 reply following yours says that some type of these windshield top rubber seals will be on the market by Spring so I might do something dumb and keep them in the closet. I will never use them.

I say sell it now before they hit the market! just my 2cents biggrin.gif
John
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 24 2007, 11:10 AM) *

There I am sure will be an aftermarket supply of these windshield top seals any week and certainly before we all get our cars out for the spring!

idea.gif idea.gif

Where have I heard that before?

What year?

av-943.gif

Here is my guess as to how much that seal will go for:

Exactly the amount some fool is willing to spend on it. Seriously, it'll probably go over $250.00
Van914
Guess I'm a Dumb A$%. I sold mine brand new to Mikey Z for a lot less!!!
Van914
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 24 2007, 01:11 PM) *

idea.gif idea.gif

Where have I heard that before?

What year?

av-943.gif

Here is my guess as to how much that seal will go for:

Exactly the amount some fool is willing to spend on it. Seriously, it'll probably go over $250.00

I hear that although there is proof that they are well into development, the knucks who are doing it keep putting off the completion date! They made a similar seal several years ago, but without the steel insert across the roof line. I also hear that the price is to be 199.50 or so they say, AND that the seal is to be again the original factory length rather than the too short last of the factory versions. We will see. "the proof is in the pudding" (if they EVER serve it!!!)
dinomium
I need two of them! And the windshield to cowling at the bottom! Sux to be me! Windshild is ducttape in place and the clock is ticking for the first autocross in Feb!!
Spoke
That piece commands some rediculous prices.

I guess I lucked out when I found a good seal on a 914 in a bone yard here in Allentown - free.

I have one at home where the center of the seal which goes under the targa roof is ripped about 4 inches and the rest is ok. Is this worth anything?

Spoke
watsonrx13
Wow, I too have a brand new, unopened windshield seal, along with a complete set of seals... I'm in the process of refreshing the car I bought last year and I'm planning to use the seal, but, if I was to sell it..... idea.gif

Click to view attachment
watsonrx13
And the windshield to cowling at the bottom!

So, where can someone get these seals?

-- Rob
cantley914
QUOTE(robby750 @ Jan 24 2007, 10:34 AM) *

I sold a used one on Ebay that looked a little worse than that and got $267.00 for it. The guy that bought it sent me an e-mail saying how happy he was to get it.

Tabarnak !!!

I have 3 of them in my parts stash.
I guess I`m not that poor after all !!!

Finally a good news today !!!

beer3.gif
t collins

Can you get on the waiting list for them now? drooley.gif
John
I just re-read my post.

HMMM.

What I meant and how it read were two different things.

I meant, the seal on e-bay will probably fetch exactly what some fool will pay. My guess is above $250.00.

At the same time I was just wanting to give dr914 a hard time.

(I'll believe in the mythical magical seals when I see one and it doesn't tear apart at the seams)
cooltimes
I made a dumb decision.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 24 2007, 08:14 PM) *

I just re-read my post.

HMMM.

What I meant and how it read were two different things.

I meant, the seal on e-bay will probably fetch exactly what some fool will pay. My guess is above $250.00.

At the same time I was just wanting to give dr914 a hard time.

(I'll believe in the mythical magical seals when I see one and it doesn't tear apart at the seams)

That guy NEEDS to be given a hard time
rhodyguy
you should give your manufacturer/supplier a call DR. perhaps today for an actual eta. then you can squeeze their shoes if they fail to deliver.

k
StratPlayer
Like I said "Pay through the ass for one of those". Someone bought a new one on ebay and only paid 1200 bucks for it. What a deal.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 25 2007, 07:48 AM) *

you should give your manufacturer/supplier a call DR. perhaps today for an actual eta. then you can squeeze their shoes if they fail to deliver.

k

I call that guy everyday and the delivery date changes every day. the only reason I have not given up on him (besides the money I have sent him) is that he does all of our other rubber parts with success and he is the only one I know can successfully install the steel band across the top of the seal. I do have the cheap ones running in India though. The sample was great. No steel though
CHAFF
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 27 2007, 09:09 AM) *

Like I said "Pay through the ass for one of those". Someone bought a new one on ebay and only paid 1200 bucks for it. What a deal.

1.2k buys alot of silicone! clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.