Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire compounds to use for AX on loose asphalt and cold concrete?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Since we lost Alameda Naval Station and its wonderfully grippy concrete as an AX venue, it appears the majority of our AX's will be at Candlestick's loose asphalt and beer bottle surface and at Marina's cold concrete. Which AX tires would work at these venues?

I have a set of Kumho V710's for AX that should work at Marina's concrete. Last year when Randal and I ran the 911 there even with 2 drivers we couldn't get any heat in the Goodyear slicks with R250 compounds. Andrew Blyholder had the same problem. I felt the tires on someone that was running the V710's and they were much hotter and stickier.

For Candlestick, there is alot of loose debris and it's asphalt. The surface is generally cool there as well. Will the V710's work there or is it a waste and do I just run my heatcycled Victoracers from the track there? Or do Hoosiers work better on asphalt and beer bottles?

What's the stickiest tire for the given conditions:

1. Cold ambient temp, loose asphalt
2. Cold ambient temp, concrete with gravel in the paddock area.

Thanks,

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jan 24 2007, 11:27 AM) *

I have a set of Kumho V710's for AX that should work at Marina's concrete. Last year when Randal and I ran the 911 there even with 2 drivers we couldn't get any heat in the Goodyear slicks with R250 compounds. Andrew Blyholder had the same problem. I felt the tires on someone that was running the V710's and they were much hotter and stickier.

interesting ... idea.gif

the R250 i got from you usually warm up after the first run and stick like glue by the 3rd time around. even on the colder days. (which is used losely here, after all, we're in CA) ...

maybe suspension setup is a factor here too. and driving style. ??? confused24.gif

but then again, the R250 is all i ever used, so i can't compare to other brands. i'm stubborn, i tend to stick (pun intended) with what i know and like ...

driving.gif Andy
Chris Pincetich
The 2007 PCA GGR calander is chock full of Alameda events. Are you sure that we can't run at Alameda? dry.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 26 2007, 09:20 AM) *

The 2007 PCA GGR calander is chock full of Alameda events. Are you sure that we can't run at Alameda? dry.gif

Hi Chris,

Are you sure you weren't looking at 2006? When I call up the 2007 calendar for AX and also the general GGR calendar, it says Candlestick and Marina, but makes no mention of Alameda.

Here's what I was looking at:

PCA GGR AX calendar

Thanks,

Bill P.
Chris Pincetich
chair.gif
OK, I've finished my morning coffee. That must have been 2006 I saw..
Alameda was only 15 minutes from my house! I'm bummed.
Randal
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 26 2007, 10:39 AM) *

chair.gif
OK, I've finished my morning coffee. That must have been 2006 I saw..
Alameda was only 15 minutes from my house! I'm bummed.

Yes, a very sad day, but they are working to get it back.
jhadler
Be thankfull that you have Candlestick! There are meny regions around the country that considera site like Candlestick to be Nirvana. I do know how you feel though. We jsutrecently lost DIA as a site (acres of fresh concrete), and previous sites are no longer available.

I used to run at Candlestick a number of years ago (PCA and SCCA), and I think it's a pretty darn good site. Yes, the pavement can be a little loose, but it's not -bad- by any stretch.

If you're looking for last available tenth, the new Hoosiers are still considered the faster tire. Neither the Hoosier or 710 are ideal for that surface, but then, nothing really is.

On -really- loose asphalt I've seen street shod cars fare better than those that had race tires.

-Josh2
Trekkor
Street sweeper...
grantsfo
Anyone else see Altamont as a venue for GGR. That has potential.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 27 2007, 05:37 AM) *

Anyone else see Altamont as a venue for GGR. That has potential.

It will depend upon how much space is available AWAY from those walls.

I've never forget when we used to run Dublin, i.e., the police site for high speed training. On one side there was this big concrete wall and one day a turbo lost it, skidded across a whole bunch of asphalt and just about kissed the wall.

Scary.
SirAndy
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jan 26 2007, 10:58 PM) *

Street sweeper...

agree.gif that shouldn't cost to much to rent and would take care of most of the lose debris ...

smile.gif Andy
Trekkor
I think they can be hired for $100. They can make three or four passes of the course during the drivers meeting.

This would allow drivers to run anywhere on the course they want to. Not just where the marbles aren't. wink.gif

KT
nebreitling
there are ways to set-up altamont as an AX that would keep people pretty far from the wall. while i'd love to run altamont as a road-course at an AX, i can understand that those in a a new 997 might not want to put their cars at risk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.