Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel Bearing Prices: WTF?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
OK, stopped at my local 356 restoration shop today to order rear wheel bearings for the green car. They usually give me a good price on Porsche parts. Quote price through Stoddard's was nearly $80 per bearing.

So we looked at Pelican. Their price was $56.25 each.

So we looked at AA. Their price was $52.74 each.

So we looked at GPRparts.com. Their price was $49.86 each.

So we looked at Paragon Products. Their price was $39.95 each.

So we looked at Automotion.com. Their price was $36.95 each.

Why such a difference in wheel bearing prices? Differences in bearing quality or just bigger mark-ups?

The CSOB in me says buy the lowest priced ones. Any suggestions on whom to buy from?

Thanks,
Spoke
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 24 2007, 01:20 PM) *

OK, stopped at my local 356 restoration shop today to order rear wheel bearings for the green car. They usually give me a good price on Porsche parts. Quote price through Stoddard's was nearly $80 per bearing.

So we looked at Pelican. Their price was $56.25 each.

So we looked at AA. Their price was $52.74 each.

So we looked at GPRparts.com. Their price was $49.86 each.

So we looked at Paragon Products. Their price was $39.95 each.

So we looked at Automotion.com. Their price was $36.95 each.

Why such a difference in wheel bearing prices? Differences in bearing quality or just bigger mark-ups?

The CSOB in me says buy the lowest priced ones. Any suggestions on whom to buy from?

Thanks,
Spoke

The brand. $29.50 skf these days, expect to pay more for the FAG brand
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

SKF's and FAGs are available....

ive used SKF's front and rear with no problems...

some places can even get you TIMKIN front bearings wub.gif
topatrout914
I recently picked up a set of Timken's at a FLAPS for the front. IMHO they are far superior to the cheaper ones that are available.
Eric_Shea
I thought they were all in the $50 range now (SKF and FAG). There are some deals out there and chances are suppliers haven't checked their local buy prices lately. If they have inventory, you might find someone who has the prices fairly (or artificially) low still.
ztbell
agree.gif most bearing suppliers have a cross ref guide all you need is the number of the cup and cone, good luck
davep
Years ago I spoke with a bearing supplier to see if there was a higher quality bearing available, and was told that there was only the one specification bearing available, and would be FAG or SKF manufacture.
Eric_Shea
Try the Saab cross reference 9104209 for the 900 series 81-93.

FAG part number is 545495AD.

I have about 6 FAG bearings in stock. $35.95 each... should I send them with the hubs? biggrin.gif
914Sixer
The ones I bought are the Saab FAG like Eric said. The place I bought them from they were going for $27.95. I have not seen any more at that price though.
Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 24 2007, 06:43 PM) *

Try the Saab cross reference 9104209 for the 900 series 81-93.

FAG part number is 545495AD.

I have about 6 FAG bearings in stock. $35.95 each... should I send them with the hubs? biggrin.gif

I'll take two please. smile.gif Seriously...
bondo
What ever happened to that Audi bearing that's a direct replacement but 3 row instead of two? That sounds like a no brainer, if it's really better.
Eric_Shea
I'll put them on your "pile" wink.gif
URY914
The price of FAGs has really dropped lately.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bondo @ Jan 24 2007, 09:02 PM) *

What ever happened to that Audi bearing that's a direct replacement but 3 row instead of two? That sounds like a no brainer, if it's really better.

It is now NLA. But the original 914 rear wheel bearing is not going anywhere soon. They use the exact same one on the Boxsters.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 24 2007, 09:04 PM) *

I'll put them on your "pile" wink.gif

This is not preparation H.

kconway
I just bought 2 FAG bearings from some dude on ebay for $59 shipped.

Kev

check this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...074334867QQrdZ1
cobra94563
I buy a lot of replacement parts from autohausaz.com.
Good for folks in CA because no tax and free ship over $50. get it in 2 days. Rear bearing were $64 for 2. They were FAG and I put them in 2 weeks ago.

I'm cheap.
Howard
1/24 Saw Eric's post
1/24 sent Pm to Eric to order
1/25 received confirm from USPS that package was shipped priority.

Conclusion: Eric is the best person to see for FAG's! beer.gif
Thanks, Eric. I don't care what Greg says about you. stirthepot.gif
Aaron Cox
eric is the fag king!
Eric_Shea
But you don't know what's in the box stromberg.gif

You're next Aaron L. Cox dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.