Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ground Control Rear Spring Perches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
i just spoke to Jay at Ground Control as I plan on ordering their rear spring kit. The Konis on the back of my car are old - probably 80's era - and the spring perches are welded to the shock body. He said as long as the diameter of the shock is not greater than 56mm, that I could cut off the perches and use their kit.
If I do this, what does the threaded collar attach to/sit on?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
ChrisFoley
Don't remove the portion of the original perch that is close to the shock body, so the threaded collar has something to rest on
Eric_Shea
Don't remove the portion of the original perch that is close to the shock body, so the threaded collar has something to rest on

Hmmmmmmm idea.gif but then the perch would be "above" the factory perch no? confused24.gif That wouldn't allow for lower adjustment... (I'm sure I'm wrong somewhere but that's what the ole minds eye is seeing.)
ChrisFoley
Coilover springs are available in 8" free length, considerably shorter than stock 914 springs. If you cut off all the old perch, except for the welded ring on the shock, then add a proper od/id thin ring to support the threaded collar there should be a decent amount of lowering available.
You can't weld directly on the shock body so if further lowering is desired, replacing the shocks is required.
Eric_Shea
wink.gif
jtf914
Are the ground control units sold in pairs or separately?
herman maire
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jan 25 2007, 07:36 AM) *

Are the ground control units sold in pairs or separately?

I was thinking the exact same thing when i was checking out there website. If it is for a pair, thats a sweeet deal but I think its each. I was going to call them just to figure that out.

anybody know ?
PRS914-6
The price is per pair
herman maire
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 25 2007, 08:07 AM) *

The price is per pair

thats a great deal then... Thanks

Does anybody know if KONI still makes there external adjustment shock or do they only have the ones where you have to compress the piston and turn the valve ?
ConeDodger

The price is per pair

Paul, Jay Morris is practically your neighbor up there... I didn't notice, are you using Ground Control product on your project?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jan 25 2007, 08:25 AM) *

The price is per pair

Paul, Jay Morris is practically your neighbor up there... I didn't notice, are you using Ground Control product on your project?

Yep, Jay was the one that helped me. I went to their shop and we put together my goodies
PRS914-6
QUOTE(herman maire @ Jan 25 2007, 08:23 AM) *

[quote Does anybody know if KONI still makes there external adjustment shock or do they only have the ones where you have to compress the piston and turn the valve ?

Yep, Koni external adjustment. Bought at Shox.com. Took them to Ground Control and set them up from there. Note that the OD of the Koni's is a little goofy and it took a larger sleeve with a "makeup" spacer. It's hard to see, but if you look closely at the picture, you will see a goldish colored ring right below the red threaded section. This allowed the larger threaded pearch to slide easily over the shock and rest on the makeup spacer. When the shock is upright, the makeup spacer is actually inside the threaded sleeve and you can't see it. The smaller threaded sleeves (that almost fit) requires a little grinding of the shock paint to get them to slide down. I avoided that for warranty concerns.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Koni no longer makes the internally adjustable units. They're all external.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.