Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help on engine case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
I am getting ready to clean up case for engine assembly, having just drilled and tapped the plug holes. I noticed that on two of the cyl mating surfaces, the surface is worn on the top side. There is a small ridge along the outside of the mating surface. I think it can be seen in the photo below. It is outboard of the outer diameter of the cylinger. It looks as if the cylinger mates all the way around on the inner portion of the circular flat. The other case half does not have this.

Is this normal? I only want to rebuild this once.

thanks,

Joe O.
McMark
Never seen a ridge there. Mine have always been flat. Can you set your camera on macro mode (usually an icon of a flower) and take a detail shot of the ridge. It could have been machine work to true the mating surface, but that's a really odd way to do it.
Joe Owensby
Upon closer inspection, I think the ridges are from machining. Took a closer photo. I placed a straight edge across the opening, and it was flat until it hit the outer portion of the face, where the ridge was. I think it will be OK. Thanks for the help.
I will also post on Jake's site, because it is one of his kits that I am adding to this case. Joe
rhodyguy
i posted at jake's site about the cly registers. i'm going to have mine decked. the head studs can be a pain to get out.

k
fitsbain
Just double nut them, heat with a torch, and then a little BP blaster and they spin right out.
craig downs
I have a case that looks like that. I put the cylinders on a laid a straight edge
across the 2 cylinders and they were not flat. If you want to use that case again
I would pull out the studs and have the deck machined flat. It looks like the
cylinders got a little lose and was pounding down on the case to cause a ridge.
Bartlett 914
I really don't know but here is a thought: On the last photo I see a brown line. Could this be the outer diameter of the cylinder? Use some ink type indicator (prussen blue , dykem) and see where the cylinder base actually touches. If the brown ring is the outer diameter of the cylinder, then the surface has not been beaten down. If it was, then this is where there would be a step and not further out.
Jake Raby
Joe,
Those ridges come from a cylinder that has been pounding against the case, probably from a loose head or a blown head gasket that dropped the head torques...

That case needs to be decked prior to assembly. You can send it here if you want, we do it for 75.00 and will ensure that there are no other issues with the case while we have it here.
Joe Owensby
thanks for the comments. I have another case that does not have this problem, so I will use it instead of this one. It is a 1.7 case, but from what I have read, it should work OK on the 2056 parts.

Thanks, Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.