Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips and Tricks for removing heat exchanger head studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Prepping a 2ltr to go back in and I would like to replace all the studs that hold the heat exchangers on. Tips Welcome! -- Don't want to snap one.

I was going to just double nut each stud to try to remove it--is there a better way? Not a whole lot of room to work with. Perhaps a soft tap on the head to loosen?

Thanks
Eric_Shea
Double nut and a MAPP torch or better. Get things cherry red then let it cool a second before backing out.
McMark
agree.gif heat up the aluminum to ease its grip. Penetrating oil is good as well. (not WD40)
Rand
On the stubborn bolts I've dealt with, it helped to give them a shot of good penetrating oil (such as PB Blaster) each day starting 2 or 3 days before trying to take them out. Given a little time, it's amazing how that stuff will get in there.
Chris Pincetich
agree.gif agree.gif
I did the PB Blaster 2-4x over a period of a month, getting ready, not trying to remove the studs, just to get the nuts off. What happened was half of the studs completely came out. No problems. ANother tip from Dave D, shoot em wiht the PB then take a hammer and tap on them to encourage penetration. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
I am a bit of a caveman when it comes to removing the exhaust studs from the heads.

I take an old nut and put them on the stud even with the end. Then I take my Acetelyne torch and heat the two of them up until they weld together. Then I use a socket to unscrew them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.