Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche: Excellence Was Expected
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
Sorry for the commercial, but this really isn't a classified ad. Yet.

I was having a conversation this morning with one of my wholesale suppliers. It seems that I can get a real good price on the new version of Ludvigsen's book, Porsche: Excellence Was Expected if I commit to a quantity. You can get the details on the book from the Bentley Publishing website at this link. You can buy it directly from Bentley for $239.95.

Now, Amazon.com has it for $167.97. Because the book is so heavy (21 lbs.) they charge additional for shipping. We'll add things up, round it off and call it $170 to your door.

Barnesandnoble.com has it for $191.96. For that price, shipping is free.

I should be able to offer these to the 914club members for $xxx delivered to your door (if you live in the lower 48).

Any interest? Remember, Christmas is coming. I'm not taking orders until I have secured the inventory. I'll post those details when it happens.

Thanks,

Paul
maf914
Paul,

I'll go for one copy.

I was going to go with Amazon, in fact, I have it on my Amazon account Wish List. Let us know if you intend to proceed and I won't commit with Amazon.

Thanks,
Mike
marc_hines
Arrgg!!

I just order mine from amazon earlier this week (I needed a little light reading material...).
Brad Roberts
Has anyone seen this book yet ?? 99% of the time they give one page out of 500 to the 914.

B
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 21 2003, 12:20 PM)
Has anyone seen this book yet ?? 99% of the time they give one page out of 500 to the 914.

B

well, it is called 'Excellence was Expected'
maf914
This is a revised and expanded version of the original Excellence published back in the 80's. It covers both production and racing cars. The original had perhaps two chapters on the 914. It was written in chronological order beginning with the first Porsche designs and ending with the 928 introduction and the 935 and 936 racing cars. It was a massive single volume priced around $60-70 (big bucks for a book at the time). The revised edition supposedly brings the history up to date, but I don't know if the previous material has been expanded. It is now a three volume set and has recieved favorable reviews in several magazines recently.

Not much 914 content is my guess. But, like the original, it's probably considered to be THE Porsche book.

Mike
davep
I bought my copy back in the late 70's. It is great. Damn near wore it out. Two chapters on the 914.

DaveP
Part Pricer
Two chapters on the 914

21 Joint Exercise: 914 1969–1970
Pros and Cons of a Mid-Engined Sports Car • Porsche Explores a Mid-Engined Road Car • Volkswagen the Partner • The 914 Takes Shape • Propelling the 914 • Passenger Accommodation • New Future for VW and the 914 • 914 Meets the World

22 Mid-Engined Roadster 1970–1976
The 914 Finds a Following • Racing the 914 • Another Look for the 914 • The 916 • New and Improved • Fourteener Swan Song

Last month, I sold a copy to a shop that only works on early Porsches. They had worn out their copy of the first edition because they use it so much for reference on cars that they are restoring. I insisted that I drop it off to them. John (ss6) and I went up for the day. In the shop they had a 550, an RSK, an RS60 and an RS61. Yes, they were all real.

It's a great reference book to have if you are serious about Porsches. And, I'm not giving you one for your birthday.
Brad Roberts
Ha ha .. I would'nt ask for one. I cant read anyway.

B
ein 6er
$150. to my door?

put me down for 1!!

thanks!!
dsmeyer
$150 delivered sounds great... add another one to your list.
Qarl
1 please.

Thanks
Curvie Roadlover
I was given this book by a friend. No special occasion. $150? I had no idea of the generosity involved. blink.gif
krk
I'm in.

kim.
madd_dogg_914
I will most definitely take one.

-Chris
seanery
I'd be in, but prefer after christmas. (is that ok?)
Part Pricer
Well, based on this and other responses, it looks like I'm going to move ahead with this. I will contact everyone that had expressed an interest after I secure the inventory on Monday. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

Sean, my hope is to be out of inventory come Christmas. However, I'll let you know if any are available.
krk
Paul,

Very cool! I've been thinking about this for a bit, so from my selfish perspective, your timing is perfect!

kim.
Dave_Darling
I would love one, but I may wind up getting one for Xmas. (It's on The List.) So I won't know until after then if I still need to get one or not. sad.gif

--DD
Mueller
add me to 'da list smile.gif
markb
I need to wait until after Christmas, too. The better half always has many Porsche surprises for me. wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Nov 22 2003, 03:26 PM)
I'm going to move ahead with this. I will contact everyone that had expressed an interest after I secure the inventory on Monday. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

in for 1 pls.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Nov 22 2003, 03:26 PM)
...I'm going to move ahead with this. I will contact everyone that had expressed an interest after I secure the inventory on Monday. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

how's this going and - most important - did you see that i'd added my name to your list before the Monday deadline ?
74GoKart
If you have an extra one, I would like to be added to the list.
Thanks
Rgreen914
I guess I'm on the "late freight" on this, but I too, would like one if at all possible!
boxstr
If any of you ordering the Excellence was Expected second edition, and you have a chance to read or look atthe first printing, a single volume. Do so.
It is very informative as is the second edition.
Iwas able to get the New printing at the Ventura German Autofest and had all of the editions signed by the author, Karl Ludvigsen.
$175.00 cash and carry.
A very nice xmas present for any Porsche afficianado.
CCLINCAMP914
Carrera916
Hey Paul!!!

I hope i'm not too late! I gotta have that book!! I do have the old one & found a short (really short) history on my old man doing the 906 "spyder"!

Please email me off line to follow up on payment, etc....I find myself a bit tied down with other things and don't always check on this website...soo EMAIL ME please!

thanks,
jerry
Gint
If the order hasn't been placed yet, I'll take a copy also.

Lemme know. And thanks for the effort.
Part Pricer
Hi everyone. I haven't forgotten about you.

Last Monday, I committed to a very large quantity of these. On Wednesday, while I was travelling, I got a call and was told that the current remaining inventory is being allocated. It seems that this edition has proven to be very popular and Bentley is not printing them again until later in the Spring.

So, where do we stand? I don't know yet. I've been told that the allocation decisions are being made today or tomorrow. I might get one, or one hundred, or zero. However, whatever I am allocated, my share will go to the folks from the 914Club first.

I'll let you know. Hopefully soon.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Dec 1 2003, 09:29 AM)
... the current remaining inventory is being allocated. It seems that this edition has proven to be very popular and Bentley is not printing them again until later in the Spring.

thanks for the update !

i have a certified First Edition of the original, so i'd really only be interested in another first edition; let me see what i can do through my company contacts with Bentley, and if that works for me, you can apply my unit to one of those "come-lately's" :-)

edit update: our order doesn't go in to Bentley until Friday, so if you have a confirmed allocation before that, go for it, and i'll cancel my "internal" order. and i have no confidence we'll even be able to achieve the Amazon price - although we do a consistent business with Bentley for VW and Audi diagnostic workshop manual CD's ...
markb
I can't wait for christmas, put me in for one. smile.gif
Part Pricer
Guys, I really need to apologize to everyone on this for getting your hopes up. But, it looks like I got yanked around. I found out that I have received an allocation of zero. It seems that someone with much more clout than I got the entire remaining inventory. The funny thing is the entire inventory went to Wal-Mart. (Wal-Mart? Is that where they sell wall stuff?)

Sorry and please accept my apology.

Paul
seanery
look for it at sams club i guess. I doubt wally world will have them confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Dec 4 2003, 08:45 AM)
Sorry and please accept my apology.

it gets worse.

when this subject came up, they were available at Amazon.

now, they're showing 2-3 month delivery.
seanery
ebay deal
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 4 2003, 09:58 AM)

they don't have stock either, sounds like they're hoping for the same allocation Paul didn't get ...
ldino21
I am interested!!

Lou Smaldino
73 1.7
Part Pricer
I've been monitoring inventories and if you act quickly you may be able to get a deal.

As of 8:12am EST on Saturday, December 6th, WorldPac has one copy of Porsche: Excellence Was Expected in stock. I ran a quick price search and you could order this one from EAS and pay a total of $149.01, shipping is included.

Here is their link. Enter Z1001-132413 in the part number search box to get there quickly. Good luck. Let us know if you get it.
EAS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.