Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In car video of Spec Boxster at Laguna Seca
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Here is one lap around Laguna Seca in our EPIQ SPEQ Boxster. In this clip we are chasing a 290HP Porsche 914-6. The 914 is about 600lbs lighter than we are, and the car can pull away from us in the straights. But we are able to hold our own under braking and in the corkscrew!

I'm driving and Dan Thompson (who helped me build the car) is in the coaches seat. This was a 1:49.8 lap. Dan beat me while he was driving the car with a 1:49.5...

Have a look.

Spec Boxster chasing 914-6

Thanks,

Bill P.
DanT
that was a very nice lap, Bill. clap56.gif clap56.gif

I am impressed with the way Lucille was able to stay with Ted and Kevin in all the corners. We made up time on them in every braking, cornering situation. That is while we were pushing at least 600+#s more than them. And they had at least 80-90 HP on us as well. This car has great potential.
I get more excited about it everytime I see a picture or now this video...I watched it about 10 times already looking at the lines....with some heat in the tires we can easily get you down to :46-47s at Laguna on those Victors.
happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jan 25 2007, 10:33 PM) *

In this clip we are chasing a 290HP Porsche 914-6.

do you know who runs that 914? it looks familiar ...

the bye1.gif was a nice touch!
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: how is the boxster doing? i haven't seen it since we stripped it at your place ...
looks like you got it all sorted out pretty well ...
DanT
Andy,
the silver 914-6 is owned by Ted Voight and co-driven by his son Kevin.

The car was previuosly owned by Tom VanOverbeek (yes, Johannes's father).

The car has a 2.8L twin plugged, crank fired, carbed 6. running on brand new Hoosier A06s at Laguna.

Haven't you seen the pics of Lucille with all of her Epiq livery?
nine14cats
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2007, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jan 25 2007, 10:33 PM) *

In this clip we are chasing a 290HP Porsche 914-6.

do you know who runs that 914? it looks familiar ...

the bye1.gif was a nice touch!
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: how is the boxster doing? i haven't seen it since we stripped it at your place ...
looks like you got it all sorted out pretty well ...

Ted and Kevin Voigt run the car. It has the killer 2.8L 290 Jerry Woods motor in it. I love that car! The car is old technology and I love chasing that thing every time I get to run with it!

Yeah...we'd get to the straights and Ted would put his foot in it and it was "see you later bye1.gif "

The Boxster is doing well. I'm going to be at Laguna Seca again on Wednesday next week with Leadfoot Adventures. More suspension testing. Since the car had a slight push in it last time, I'm going to dial in a little more oversteer by upping the shock rates in the rear and softening the front shocks. We'll see how it goes. It should be fun!

If anyone wants to come out there still is room from what I understand.

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jan 25 2007, 11:08 PM) *

If anyone wants to come out there still is room from what I understand.

no driving.gif yet, but i might come down to spectate ...

w00t.gif Andy
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

Here is what the Spec Boxster is looking like now:

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 25 2007, 11:05 PM) *

Andy,
the silver 914-6 is owned by Ted Voight and co-driven by his son Kevin.

The car was previuosly owned by Tom VanOverbeek (yes, Johannes's father).

The car has a 2.8L twin plugged, crank fired, carbed 6. running on brand new Hoosier A06s at Laguna.

Haven't you seen the pics of Lucille with all of her Epiq livery?

hmm, the names don't ring a bell but the car looks familiar. i'm sure i have seen it out there.

and yes, i've seen pictures of Lucille, but i'd really like to meet her again in person ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
drew365
Great video Bill. Lucille looks like a lot of fun. I'm eventually going to move out of the 914. As much as I'd like to run a Cayman, I probably won't spend the money. Your Boxster is giving me hope there is an affordable way to get into a modern Porsche and have fun. I have my 914 put back together and am going to The Streets on Sunday for a shake down run, then Las Vegas the week after. Your video has my heart pumping a little quicker. Thanks. piratenanner.gif
nine14cats
Hi Andy (drew365),

Glad to hear your car will be back on the track soon. Can't wait to see the vids from your return voyage.

I think the Spec Boxster is a decent alternative for cost containment if there is such a thing. Right now I'm leaving it Spec Legal and just playing with the tire sizes and compounds. I put pretty much everything high end on this car per the rules and I came in under $29K which inlcudes 3 sets of rims and tires.

I think a car with the same speed can be built for $20K to $22K. As I track the car and start breaking things I'll report back what they are and how we fixed them.

Thanks,

Bill P.
McMark
It's so quiet compared to the 914 videos. biggrin.gif I want to buy a boxster every time I see that thing! drooley.gif
PatW
Bill.

Looks like you're improving. cool_shades.gif Tires screaching and stuff.. biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(PatW @ Feb 14 2007, 05:33 PM) *

Bill.

Looks like you're improving. cool_shades.gif Tires screaching and stuff.. biggrin.gif

HI Pat,

Yep...I'm getting those tires to squeal.... smile.gif

Dot-r's sure feel different than slicks...but it's the same fun to me!

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.