Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clearing The Air
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
This is not a rant and I don’t want this thread to become argumentative. TIA

Some of my recent remarks about the club-world split were taken as offensive by some of the administrators and members here. For that I apologize. It was not my intention to disparage anybody.
Sir Andy, I respect and applaud your service/commitment to the 914 online community. I vocally supported your position before and during the collapse (in December I wrote on the temporary club site that Brad should hand over all financial control to you) and was hurt by your apparent ignore-ance of that. It was the basis for my “selective memory” remark.
McMark, I came at you first and I am sorry. You didn’t deserve the Attitude I gave you.
To the rest of the admins I apologize for calling you “cohorts” (that’s about the level of the name calling I was accused of) and any other harsh words I had for you recently. You are passionate ‘teeners with a desire to serve the community and I respect that.
To the membership at large who didn’t understand why I was so bent out of shape I would like to provide a brief explanation of my strident position:
Very few members are in my position of being a diehard ‘teener and full time 914 businessman. Nearly 10 years ago when I came to a crossroads I decided to “steer” my little general welding company in the direction of being devoted full time to 914s. The last 914-specific business in this area (Simon Sports Cars) closed 20 years ago. If my choice had been about money I would have chosen a different direction to be sure. Instead I put long-term enjoyment way ahead of income potential. It was not an easy route but in 2006 I achieved a milestone by relocating to a larger building with room to work on several 914s and manufacturing space for exhaust systems, etc.
With the added financial burden I took on in order to grow I am in a position of needing even more business just to survive. One of my best sources has come from having a significant presence online. The stainless fuel lines I manufacture are an excellent example. I never expected to sell over 100 sets in less than a year, nearly all through the club/world site(s).
Displaying banner ads to the primary 914 online community looked like a great place to use a significant portion of my advertising budget when the management of 914club.com presented their plan. While I sent my money to a business entity I placed my trust in the group of people who were working to implement the plan. Within hours of my banner ads being added to the display rotation the site went down. As things unfolded I could have asked for a refund as so many subscribers did. But I am not one to take a commitment lightly, and Brad appeared to be trying hard to fulfill his obligation so I remained in the game.
Based on the limited information I had to work with, when 914World.com was launched the presentation rubbed me wrong in a number of ways. Suffice it to say that I felt lied to and abandoned by many of the people I had trusted. As each day passed I felt worse, not better, and began to act out. The defensiveness of the admins here only fueled my fire at the time. It wasn’t until the poll on banner ads at 914World came out that I saw any light at the end of the tunnel. A phone conversation with Eric Shea that weekend helped me considerably as well. Thanks Eric. Now I hope to complete my resolution of the issue by sharing this.
Thanks for listening,
Chris
TJB/914
Hi Chris,

Just finished reading your message. Never met you, but hope to some day. It takes a big man to apologize for words said in haste. 914er's need you more than you need us. pray.gif You mfg. & supply some of the finest 914 parts available with personal service as needed. I wish you success & a great 2007 year.

Tom
BTW: I've seen you exhaust system & it's a thing of beauty. wub.gif
I need to order a set of S.S. fuel lines for my spring project. I'll do it soon.
michaelt55
I second that response....
Seen your products before I had a 914 thru Jake Raby's forum, great worksmanship, fit, finish.

Hang in there, things always have a way of sorting themselves out.

Michael
TJB/914
Hey Chris,

I just found a picture of your exhaust sytem. I looked under former Rick Hurd's 914 a few years ago & got a woodie looking at your exhaust system. Beautiful workmanship.

T
Eric_Shea
No harm no foul. I always understood the business side and I agree(d) with you. I would have been a bit irritated myself.

We're happy to see you here. You're an invaluable resource to this community.
JoeSharp
Chris: I was very glad to read what you had to say. Myself, I had to leave for other reasons, being responsible for the shut down I think that things have greatly improved here. I also believe that I am the last hold out.
I have returned to find this boards reception friendly and helpful. As they have always been for me. My home site will always be Club NARP, but I will continue to post on The Bird Board and The World when I can help with something. Because thats where I came from.
You are a BIG MAN Chris and a BIGGER asset to the 914 Community.
Joe Sharp
Team NARP
rick 918-S
Thanks for posting this. Being a former SB owner (and maybe falling back into it) I know exactly what you were thinking and feeling. It's things like this that will help us all move forward.
Eric_Shea
I have returned to find this boards reception friendly and helpful.

And we're happy to call you and all the NARPsters "family".

There was a lot of activity behind the scenes during those fateful days that heavily revolved around our friends at NARP. It is because of "you" (the collective) that 914World is what it is today. There's a lot of people here that may not know that. We owe a communal thanks.

It's good to have you back.
Gint
Chris,

If you haven't noticed, I try to stay out of the public controversy threads. I generally work the issues in the background and try to keep my mouth shut publicly to avoid "shooting myself in the foot". This thread encouraged me to make a public post. There was much discussion amongst the world admin team about the banner ad issue that resulted in the poll regarding same. I personally am quite pleased with the results and am happy that we could, with the majority agreement of the member base, "do the right thing".

As you stated the world admin team are 914 enthusiasts trying to serve the 914 community. It's clear that you are a valuable asset to that same community. Thanks for posting this thread and for your service.

And Joe...
Great to see you posting here. Thanks.
r_towle
xxx
grantsfo
Why the need for all this primped rhetoric (This is aimed at some of the people who responded to the post from Chris)? Peoples actions will speak volumes over hollow words, posted on both sites. For example; Chris, Why not offer a group buy similar to your original SS fuel lines to members of both sites.

Enough with peoples silly opinions lets see some real action that is focused on helping this community of 914 enthusiasts.
Misha
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 26 2007, 08:06 PM) *

Why the need for all this primped rhetoric (This is aimed at some of the people who responded to the post from Chris)? Peoples actions will speak volumes over hollow words, posted on both sites. For example; Chris, Why not offer a group buy similar to your original SS fuel lines to members of both sites.

Enough with peoples silly opinions lets see some real action that is focused on helping this community of 914 enthusiasts.

How about you put your foot where your mouth is and stop spreading your silly opinions?

A group buy for the SS fuel lines (i was looking into buying a set myself) would be welcome, however, your primped rhetoric is not.

Misha
Twystd1
I find if I take two aspirin before going to bed..

My "primped rhetoric" is gone by the time I wake up...

Aspirin rocks,

C
SGB
driving.gif
Chris-
When I met you and Jake at Road Atlanta, it was the highlight of my 914 life. Doncha worry 'bout past silliness.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 26 2007, 08:45 PM) *

I find if I take two aspirin before going to bed..

My "primped rhetoric" is gone by the time I wake up...

Aspirin rocks,

C

I find that tequila works even faster. laugh.gif
Joe Bob
One Tequila,
Two Tequila,
Three Tequila,

FLOOR!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2007, 08:29 AM) *

One Tequila,
Two Tequila,
Three Tequila,

FLOOR!

Five Tequila,
Six Tequila,
Seven Tequila,

MORGUE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.