Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Two parts in question:

0122.129.637 - rubber elbow. I have eleven of these things, garnered through the years (6 new, 5 used). My parts manual indicates these are for 1.8's (I have a 1.7). Do they have a use on 1.7's? I couldn't find a link. Sorry, no pic's - my camera battery is dead.

Fuel rails - "fuel distributors", as the factory calls them - four spares (old). Started trying to clean up one of these today. Really uglt on the outside, but cleaned up OK. Then I realized that when I flushed water thru it, the water was going straight thru & not bleeding out of the injector inlets. Did some soaking (internal) with Naval Jelly & routed it out as best I could with a pipe cleaner. Lots of rust (maybe) or fuel residue (maybe) came out in chunks. Imagine hooking these up to your injectors! So, how do I rout this gunk out (I suspect it's rust)? Exterior cleaned up nicely (pic's when the camera comes back to life). Any ideas? I have a Dremel, with no flex wand (excuse to buy one?) but not certain it would fit.
Pat

IronHillRestorations
I've got a five gallon bucket of some heavy duty cleaner. It will melt nitrile gloves (you can guess how I know). It's made for soaking carburator parts. I use SS safety wire and hang it in the bucket and everything comes out clean. It's not cheap, but it would last a long time in a home shop. Check your FLAPS.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 27 2007, 10:33 AM) *

I've got a five gallon bucket of some heavy duty cleaner. It will melt nitrile gloves (you can guess how I know). It's made for soaking carburator parts. I use SS safety wire and hang it in the bucket and everything comes out clean. It's not cheap, but it would last a long time in a home shop. Check your FLAPS.

Perry,

OK, I'm stupid! "FLAPS"? What's this mystery goo & how does one get rid of it when finished with it?
bondo
Berryman's B9. AKA cancer in a bucket. smile.gif

It does the job, but try not to breathe it and never even open it indoors.

FLAPS stands for Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

I think you'd have to go to a hazardous waste dump to get rid of it, but it's so potent that for occasional use it would last a lifetime. Heck, for heavy use it'd last a lifetime too, because you wouldn't live very long! smile.gif
DonTraver
I have a 1 gallon can of McKays Parts Cleaner, even comes with a parts bucket, takes everything off, even carbon. I've been carrying it around for years. Not sure you can even buy it anymore in Ca. Sounds a lot like the Berrymans stuff, don't even open it inside or handle without heavy rubber gloves.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.