Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum lines w/ carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bahnzai
I did do a thread search first and of course found quite a bit about vacuum lines, but I didn't see anything specific to carb applications. Most of it was related to FI and appeared a fair bit more complicated.

I've got a 1974 2.0 with dual Webber 40's and non-vacuum advance distributor (mechanical). The way the car is plumbed is the ports on both heads are T'd into the PCV at the oil fill, and this is T'd to a hose running back to a port on top of one of the air filters.

Is this how most other carb set-ups are plumbed? What are the ports on the heads for? Just vents? And it seems some heads have them & some don't (late vs. early maybe). And should they be tied to the PCV?

Also, I would think from past V-8 experience that the PCV would be tied into an intake manifold instead of on top of an air cleaner (i.e. more vacuum). Of course there is no port on the manifolds, so this may be the best you can do.

Anyway, some insight would be helpful.
Thanks,
dt
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
DT.
I have almost the same! 40's, i use a V.W. breather on the fire wall centered between the two carbs, three conections!. from pcv valve to the breather box, ( drill out the center of the pcv so there is no block to pressure excapeing) this to the middle fitting on the breather. 2. Run 2 hoses from each side of the breather
to the top of the rain hats on my carbs. Pressure is vented thru the pcv to the breather and then to the carb top. Any oil in the mist collects on a sponge in the breather,when engine is shut off any oil collected drains back to the crank case.
If you have heads with beather ports run the two hoses in them.
My system works well for me . Dave slap.gif
bahnzai
Thanks Dave!
Any chance you have any pictures of the VW breather?
Is that something unique or should I be able to find it in a local auto parts/on-line?
I think it would help with oily blow-by.
thanks again,
dt
GeorgeRud
The breathers are available @ VW buggy type stores (ie CB Performance) and the like. There's nothing special about them, just a box with some hose connections and some foam to keep the oil from getting all over the top of the engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.