Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my center console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
Here's a center console I have been working on. I wanted something that was a little more modern.I'm not a big fan of the stock console, it's a little to square and boxie looking. My biggest problem with it was the foot room at the gas pedal. I have size 13's and there was just not enough room.

I added cup holders, man they are nice, there are some mods. to do for the heater lever. I am going to add a oil temp. gauge, voltage gauge and my satellite rec. will be at the top.

to make it I used foam, epoxie resin and fiberglass cloth.

There's still some finish work left to do. It will eventually be black with a C.F. face

toon1
second pic.
Mueller
looks good Keith...thought about adding a small woofer/speaker??
toon1
thank's Mike, I might add one eventually. I am going to leave it this way for a bit. I am concentrating on my FI system.

Hey, is that your new project on your avatar?

How is the family?
burton73
Some of the guys will not like it because it is not stock, but it is very nice I know how much work it takes to massage it to fit just right as I have done this type of work at my work. I have size 13 dogs as well and they can be a problem even hitting the top of the area above the clutch and brake. The German men are not small. But they build their cars for people with smaller feet.

Bob Burton.
toon1
thank's for the compliment Bob. If people don't like it, that's ok. I like it and that is what matters.

This has been a fun project, form concept to install it's gone how I had planned.

It will be nice when it's done but for now I am going to enjoy it and concentrate on other things.

Keith

PORobinSCHE
looks super, and very functional.....when do you start production for public sales? clap56.gif
of course i expect a discount for being the 'southeastern sales rep' av-943.gif
Hammy
Looks nice...... love to see it finished.

You have any pics of the rest of your car?
toon1
I thought I might be able to save the mold but the way it's going that aint happenen. I had to carve out the bottom so it would fit on the tunnel right.

So this is a one off deal. I have pics. of the process I could share if anyone is interested.

I did't post them this time because it takes awhile and the last time I posted a "how I did it" thread no one seemed to care.

Keith

toon1
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jan 27 2007, 06:17 PM) *

Sure, It's nothin special, the paint's faded(orig. paint, Oly. blue). I want to get all the mechanicals done before I paint it. Matter of fact my freinds tease me about it all the time. I can care less, I LOVE MY CAR. It's a joy to get in it everyday and drive to work. It makes me smile when I leave some tank sized SUV in the dust as I cruise at 70 the the S turns.
Joe Owensby
Looks sweet. I 'd like to see a picture when you get it finished. I was thinking of doing something different to mine, and I like what you have. Thanks for sharing. Joe O.
stepuptotheMike
I'd really like to see the process you used. A how-to thread would be great!!

Mike
toon1
thank's guy's, I will post some how to pics. soon
Hammy
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 27 2007, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Jan 27 2007, 06:17 PM) *

Sure, It's nothin special, the paint's faded(orig. paint, Oly. blue). I want to get all the mechanicals done before I paint it. Matter of fact my freinds tease me about it all the time. I can care less, I LOVE MY CAR. It's a joy to get in it everyday and drive to work. It makes me smile when I leave some tank sized SUV in the dust as I cruise at 70 the the S turns.

Same here. Cosmetically, mine is hideous. Needs lots of work. I get people asking all the time "When are you gonna paint it?". No point in having a pretty or hot looking car that doesn't run. Mechanicals are more important to me at this time .... agree.gif
toon1
Talk about waking up the dead!

I finally have this done and installed. I love the look of CF and it's the theme for my interior.

The original intention for the console was to just do the face in CF and paint the rest black. I later decided to do the whole console in CF.

It was a TON of work but I think it was worth it. I layed the CF right over the fiberglass. CF is easier to work with than FG it tends to hold it's shape better.

I used the 45* CF weave so it would go around the corners easier.

After it was alllayed up and the epxie was dry, I sanded it down ( lots of sanding) and then clear coated it. The clear coat was sanded and then clear coated it again.

After the CC was dry, it was wet sanded with 1500 and then rubbing compund, polishing compund and then wax.

Here are some pics
FourBlades

Wow!!! You normally only see things like that on high end tuner cars from
Mercedes, etc.... Really nice job. piratenanner.gif

I'd love to see some pictures of the process.

Where did you get your CF from?

John
davesclassicvws
Man that is really cool
I really like the Carbon Fiber look.
So how many hours do have in making this? Was it worth it?
How hard is something like that to make? Can the average DIY'er replicate with similar results?
toon1
Thank's,

I used 1.5" foam sheet to create the mold. With an idea in mind I started shaping the foam with a file. One I got it where I wanted, I then sanded it and filled the holes and gaps.

Then it was a matter of laying up the FG. Once I decided to go with CF I layed it right over the FG.

I got the CF cloth from TAP plastics, they have it avail. on their web site.

davesclassicvws
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 15 2008, 03:37 PM) *

Thank's,

I used 1.5" foam sheet to create the mold. With an idea in mind I started shaping the foam with a file. One I got it where I wanted, I then sanded it and filled the holes and gaps.

Then it was a matter of laying up the FG. Once I decided to go with CF I layed it right over the FG.

I got the CF cloth from TAP plastics, they have it avail. on their web site.

Is the CF the peel and stick sheets I've seen? Or did you have to vacuum seal the project to get the CF to bond to the FG?
toon1
QUOTE(davesclassicvws @ Jul 15 2008, 03:25 PM) *

Man that is really cool
How hard is something like that to make? Can the average DIY'er replicate with similar results?

I am a DIY'r biggrin.gif I just about built the whole thing on my kitchen table. I had an idea and ran with it.

As far as hours, I cringe to think. To me it was worth it, it's custom and kind of a conversation piece and looks real cool.

It is actually CF cloth layed on with epoxy. I was not able to use the stick on sheet, it wouldn't conform to the contures.

If I did it again, it would use CF from the get go( knowing that's the look I wanted) and not bothered with the FG.

I have some pics. stashed somewhere of how I made the mold. I will dig them up and post em later.
dw914er
cupholders? On a german car?

just kidding (i need cupholders, ive spilled drinks way too many times)

the console looks great, and I am digging the carbon fiber interior/console
stephenaki
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 15 2008, 05:14 PM) *

Man that is really cool

I am a DIY'r biggrin.gif I just about built the whole thing on my kitchen table. I had an idea and ran with it.

As far as hours, I cringe to think. To me it was worth it, it's custom and kind of a conversation piece and looks real cool.

It is actually CF cloth layed on with epoxy. I was not able to use the stick on sheet, it wouldn't conform to the contures.

If I did it again, it would use CF from the get go( knowing that's the look I wanted) and not bothered with the FG.

I have some pics. stashed somewhere of how I made the mold. I will dig them up and post em later.

I would really be interested in any 'how to' thread that shows how you did this and the material used. I don't know that I have the skill to do the carbon fiber but I am pretty sure I could cover it in leather.

I really like the smooth lines of the console versus the boxey style of the stock console or most of the other builds. How does it compare in weight to a stock console?
East coaster
I dig it.......nice work!!

Did you hog out the foam after the layup was completed or leave some in for stability?
toon1
QUOTE(stephenaki @ Jul 16 2008, 02:42 AM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 15 2008, 05:14 PM) *

Man that is really cool

I would really be interested in any 'how to' thread that shows how you did this and the material used. I don't know that I have the skill to do the carbon fiber but I am pretty sure I could cover it in leather.

I really like the smooth lines of the console versus the boxey style of the stock console or most of the other builds. How does it compare in weight to a stock console?

QUOTE(East coaster @ Jul 16 2008, 09:57 AM) *

I dig it.......nice work!!

Did you hog out the foam after the layup was completed or leave some in for stability?

Thank's guy's, Tonight, I will post some picks of the procsess. The CF is not any different than using FG( it's a bit easier IMHO).

I did hog out some of the foam on the inside to get the wiring for the gauges
roadster fan
I like it! smilie_pokal.gif

Looking forward to seeing it at one of the Bay Area Breakfasts. You should post a "How to Thread" inquiring minds want to know.

what was the topic if the "How to" no one showed interest in? I am sure someone benefited from it.

Jim
Todd Enlund
That's pretty sweet... and now that I know that TAP has Carbon Twill, I think I'm gonna go get me some...
neo914-6
TAP has CF again? Nice work, I didn't realize you could work it after the epoxy resin dried. I still have a couple yards for my top but plan to use mylar to get a nice surface after layup and avoid clear coating. It's good to know if it isn't perfect, I can resort to sanding and clear coating. Others have used vacuum bagging.
retrofit
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 16 2008, 08:43 PM) *

TAP has CF again? Nice work, I didn't realize you could work it after the epoxy resin dried. I still have a couple yards for my top but plan to use mylar to get a nice surface after layup and avoid clear coating. It's good to know if it isn't perfect, I can resort to sanding and clear coating. Others have used vacuum bagging.

Nice work! Inventive! More info!
I like the last post about using CF as a veneer for the targa top. Now that would turn some heads...
Allen
seanery
Hi Felix! How's your project?
neo914-6
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 16 2008, 10:15 PM) *

Hi Felix! How's your project?

slooow, but have made a little progress lately. What are you up to?
plymouth37
You do some really nice work! I like it!
AgPete139
Nice work. Repaired small sailboats and rowing (crew) sheels with FG before, and it can get messy (even with just the cloth, not mesh). How many layers did you use of FG? The CF top layer looks great...

Pete
turnaround89
Absolutely amazing, so clean and well done!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.