Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looks like I'm picking up another 356.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Thanks to Ray Mital....of course my wife isn't thanking you....but it does keep me outta the bars. Anyways....it's relatively complete per the pics....

It's a 59 A and it's with drum brakes, 6 volt and all the old school schizzle....who else on the list has a 356?

The last one (Frankenstealth).....real one that is...was a "C" and it was pretty close to a 911 and 914 due to be 12 volt and 4 wheel discs.....when I gets it I'll decide whether it's a CW, driver or Outlaw candidate.
dekman
What happened to the 930? What are you a "used car dealer" or something? thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Joe Bob
930 is sold....

IPB Image
echocanyons
Looks like you are becomaing a regular ole flipper poke.gif

I really like the lines of the a and pre a 356's. I had an 57 A for a couple of years, they are pretty cool cars.
r_towle
I have one. 64 C
I might have one (stored in my barn right now) 60B

I would say, keep it CW, its worth alot more...get the COA, paint and interior should match.
Im all for outlaw, but I think B/C are better candidates..(my C will be outlaw, if I get the B it will go CW, due to unique features, colors, motor etc.)

If CW then that car is worth 40-60k, if its all done, floors, rockers...etc and documented...at least the body/metal work.
Whats the original color combo? exterior/interior??
You know where to look, the registry has all the codes in the login section.
I can help you with the motor matching if needed, there are loads of cases around.
Rich
Joe Bob
Yeah, should be fun......my asshole brother wants it, since he was born in '59....but he hasn't thrown any money my way.

Just got a PM from a certain newer poster that said he was in negotiation for it as well.....he can chime in if he wants to....
Aaron Cox
outlaw.. but no bondo this time!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have always loved the 356 models (the original porsche) and have owned one since 1976. I currently own a 60 silver cabriolet, a 1960 blue roadster, a 61 red roadster, and am restoring a 65 sc coupe! They drive great are simple to restore and get great talk going from non porsche types anywhere one stops!
Joe Bob
Thanks....wonder if a set of adapters and either the Mahle Gas Burners or Deep Sixes would look good???? idea.gif

Gotta lose that vinyl top...... barf.gif
Aaron Cox
outlaw = 7" widened steelies smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Put a tail on it and some spinners... huh.gif

I want it.

It would be silver with a red interior. Mobil pegasus' on the sides and screens over the headlights. Done.

I see a fellow musician owned it once (Sunn amplifier sticker on the front bumper).
nycchef
mike i saw that car when it first came in to movietime cars (the garage that lets us screw up our 914"s in our spare time). had i not just bought my teener i would have grabbed it up right there. looks like a great project, keep us posted.
Joe Bob
So....I see the 59 is a transition year.....did they make both the "A" and the "B" in 59?
Eric_Shea
I thought just A's 1.5 and 1.6... confused24.gif
Joe Bob
link

The 356 site is a little unclear....
davep
All my 356 are now gone. I had almost all at the same time, a 57 coupe, a 59 coupe, two 59 conv D's, and a 65 with a super 90 motor. Still have some copies of the workshop manual.
r_towle
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2007, 04:32 PM) *

So....I see the 59 is a transition year.....did they make both the "A" and the "B" in 59?

Quote Dr B Johnson
From Feb until September 1959
Carrera 1600GT
356A/1600
356A/1600 S

From Sept
356B/1600
356B/1600 S
356B/ 1600 S-90
Carrera 1600 GS
Carrera 1600 GT

For this one
Engine Serial numbers
Carrera Gt (you wish) 95001-95114
1600 72469-79999
1600 S 83146-84770

Body (Coupe, no vinyl, sorry I know you love the vinyl)
106175-108917
Joe Bob
The title is a crappy copy....

ID#P6995 and another number of 101000....maybe it's a left over 58 that got titled as a 59? I also remember hearing that they used the engine number as a VIN and when they changed engines...if they did...the owners came into a shock when trying to sell them. I guess Chebbies matched the engine to the VIN...while them "furrin" cars didn't....
r_towle
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2007, 05:04 PM) *

The title is a crappy copy....

ID#P6995 and another number of 101000....maybe it's a left over 58 that got titled as a 59? I also remember hearing that they used the engine number as a VIN and when they changed engines...if they did...the owners came into a shock when trying to sell them. I guess Chebbies matched the engine to the VIN...while them "furrin" cars didn't....

57 is 100001-101692
Get the numbers off the car and make sure you dont have a title for another car before you buy it...
BTDT and it takes a long long time to sort out if the paper is not right.

Check the tags on the door post, drivers side, front of door..
Also look at all the lids, they should match the numbers on the car (if your lucky)
Typically its the last three numbers are stamped into the deck lid, and hood...

Rich
echocanyons
There is further seperation in the A's form T-1 and T-2 you can thell the difference by where the door jambs are located.

I had an early T-2 that was 101654. so your title is at most a 57
drewvw
I would trade all my cars for a good 356....

saw a white 914 in southern maine today at a repair shop, near sunday river.
rmital
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2007, 05:40 PM) *

Thanks to Ray Mital....of course my wife isn't thanking you....but it does keep me outta the bars. Anyways....it's relatively complete per the pics....

Congrats Mike! (sorry to your wife sad.gif ) Hopefully the trek from east to west is smooth.

...looking forward to some progress pics on the restoration.
brer
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jan 27 2007, 02:32 PM) *

There is further seperation in the A's form T-1 and T-2 you can thell the difference by where the door jambs are located.

I had an early T-2 that was 101654. so your title is at most a 57

my 57 was 101505
boxstr
Looks like an example of a PIMP MY RIDE from the 60's...
CCL
Crazyhippy
4 lugs (ugly to boot) on the ground, wide 5 in the trunk??

Nice looking car.

BJH
Joe Bob
Those are hubcaps ya maroon....

How about VIN#103992? Engine # 69951, 3 piece engine case....

On the registry, this comes back as....

production year: 1958
model year: 1958
type: T2 A
style: coupe
coachbuilder: Reutter
click here for more information on Reutter and Porsche coachbuilders

begin: 102505
end: 104659

This vehicle would have come with an engine from the following types and number ranges:

616/1 T2 1600 68217 72468
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

So, looks like a 58, registered in 59......because the engine search comes back with....

production year: 1958 (may not be correct for Carrera engines)
internal designation: 616/1 T2
common name: 1600
first number: 68217 last number: 72468
first serial number: 67001 last serial number: 79999
first manufactured: 9/57 last manufactured: 9/59
mikey
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2007, 12:40 PM) *

who else on the list has a 356?

I have a 1954 356 bent windshield cabriolet. Body work has been done and it's waiting for paint and assembly. I had planned to restore it when I found my 6er. I'll get to it after the 914-6 is complete. Your 59 will make a much better driver. Pre-A 356s had pretty crude suspensions.
dbu356
Congrats!!

I had a '56 cab About 20 yrs ago I restored as a daily driver and currently have a '55 coupe in boxes to be a outlaw soon as I can scrounge up some funds...Anyone want to buy my '71 914-4?
scotty b
'59 Roadster (in MULTIPLE,rusty pieces. You've seen the pic of the front clip) and a 60 Coupe hopefully will start on this fall. Coupes gonna be something "a little" different, and undone before, just to really piss off the CW's ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.