Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What's a 944 convertible worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
it needs approx $2k of head work, and is in rough to good condition
-seat tears
-top tears, falling apart
-dent in pass door
-small crack in windshield
-cracked drivers mirror
Aaron Cox
968?
Eric_Shea
No such thing. That would be a 968 and those things are awesome. Check the Excellence prices and shoot for "low"
jasons
944 cabrios do exist. But, they are all S2's like my coupe. Similar to the 968, they have a 3.0L 16v motor. The biggest 4 ever put in a production car.

With all the stuff you listed it needs, I would try to get it for less than $3k for sure. 944 parts add up fast, especially on a 16v head.

A hot swap is a 944 turbo motor into the S2 cabrio body. They shared basically the same chassis(brakes, suspension, trans). But, Porsche never built a turbo vert, which makes it really cool. I bet you could snag a turbo motor for $2000-$2500.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2007, 03:38 PM) *

No such thing.

944 S2 Cabrio

Sure do exist. poke.gif
Solana-Bob
Carefull with putting a non-S 944 motor in a 944S or S2.
I spent a lot of dollars and time to solve an electrical problem (?)
or rather an electrical difference between the two...
It is a simple fix but hard to diagnose.
What happens is that the car will run fine for a period (varies) of
time then shut off the same as turning off the key....then it will not start
for an extended period of time...
Other than that they are great cars...
Andyrew
Well.. I'll say that in excellent condition they go for $15k+

All those interior parts are serious cash... You thought the 914 was bad? HAHA.. plan 5k to redo the interior.. 2k for the head (timing belt broke eh?) and 3k for paint.. Lets subtract.. that means 5k. But then you have labor and time involved.. I'd try and get it for about 3k..

You want a 944? Dads is for sale.. 6500 is how much he wants (advertised for 7k). You know all about that one.. My daily driver past 4 years.. 30mpg 160+mph low 5 0-60, great condition..

PS.. you dont need the hastle on the convertable..
Andyrew
Just saw the ebay link.. lol I guess good dont I? lol
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(jasons @ Jan 27 2007, 04:14 PM) *

944 cabrios do exist. But, they are all S2's like my coupe. Similar to the 968, they have a 3.0L 16v motor. The biggest 4 ever put in a production car.

A hot swap is a 944 turbo motor into the S2 cabrio body. They shared basically the same chassis(brakes, suspension, trans). But, Porsche never built a turbo vert, which makes it really cool. I bet you could snag a turbo motor for $2000-$2500.

Actually, the Germans *did* make a 944 Turbo Cabriolet, but they never imported them for U.S. consumption. Was on the cover of Excellence back in 1990 or so.

944 S2 Cabrios are fairly common and can look great. I like them better than 968 Cabrios for some wierd reason. And they're one of those rare Porsches that I really like when they're dead stock. Factory 16s, stock ride height, etc. Friend has a black/black one and loves it. Has had it for 8-10 years and has been very reliable in the grand scheme of things. Good value/space/etc. when compared to a contemporary 911...

Powertrains are pretty good, clutch jobs are $$$, and the interiors don't wear to so well. Still not a bad choice. I'd see what kind of price you can get from your mechanic with everything mechanical fixed, then get an estimate for re-doing the rest. If you can get it "done" for less than a good car on the market, then why not? idea.gif

pete
Eric_Shea
Sure do exist.

Here? In the US? At a lien sale?

Naaaaaaaaa biggrin.gif

(my bad... I thought all the converts were 968's)
boxstr
Thorw a SBC at it.
Pay $2500.
CCL
Andyrew
rennegade has a kit..... muhaha
rick 918-S
What's owed to the shop? Storage? Get it as cheap as he'll sell it. $ 500.00 The 928 head will swap I think. Typical 944 electrical issues, cheap upholstry mat. Can look good when done right.
Brando
Get it for as little as he will let it go (mentioned above).

That head work and timing belt job will cost you $3k to $4k if you have the machinework done and do the belts job yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.