Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat exchanger question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
I have built a 1911, I have the option of putting early 1.7 heat exchangers on or putting later two piece exchangers on, what is the opinion, I have always had problems with exhaust leaks with the one piece system, I was thinking that the two piece system may be better since the j-pipe would install very easily. ???
Mueller
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Jan 28 2007, 08:41 AM) *

I have built a 1911, I have the option of putting early 1.7 heat exchangers on or putting later two piece exchangers on, what is the opinion, I have always had problems with exhaust leaks with the one piece system, I was thinking that the two piece system may be better since the j-pipe would install very easily. ???

if you mean the heat exchangers from a '75/'76 1.8 or 2.0, expect a loss of 4-8 hp and a increase in head temperatures.....

trust me, the single piece is a PITA as well....
Brando
Scrounge the classifieds for a set of SSI 2.0 heat exchangers and heat hardware. They have a larger inside diameter than stock early 2.0 heat exchangers and should give you a wee bit of hp over those 4-2-1 late style heat exchangers.

Believe me, the backdate is worth it. You just gotta find all those little pieces.

Or if you don't care for heat, a guy named ed (willowcreeklane) has what looks like a euro race header available in anaheim hills, ca.
Joe Bob
Go with 73-74 HEs with the appropriate hanger and muffler.....only thing better is a header...but no heat.
1bad914
I just sold a full SSI HE setup last year, This wil be a daily driver, I have access to multiple early 1.7 HE's, since my wife and I will be using this car as a weekend beach cruiser also(yes we have beaches in Michigan) smile.gif I would like heat, so the one piece 1.7 HE with heat hardware will do the trick.

Thanks!
ottox914
Go to the for sale section and buy my SSI package, everything you need but the gaskets and a few bolts. PM me of you want. I'm in NW wisconsin, hopefully shipping wouldn't be to bad, or if you come down to the Mpls/st paul area for work or play, we could meet and do the deal.
r_towle
The stock 1.7 and 2.0 liter 72-74 all have the same size inner diameter of the tube,so the difference is the upturned end on the 1.7 setup, the flange on the end is different as well as the gasket/muffler connection.

They do require different muffler hangers, and different mufflers, and gaskets.

The front side, head side/heat side is basically the same.

Rich
Bleyseng
Hmm, why the different size gaskets at the HE to muffler? I measured the stockers years ago IIRC inside diameter is bigger on the 2.0L HE.

Now on the SSI HE's the pipe is the same dimension inside with only the upturn at the end being the difference.
r_towle
The inside diameter of the 1.7/1.8 versus the early 2.0 liter are the same. I have both on the floor.

the gasket is different cause the tubes are closer together on the 2.0 liter, and the flange is a different shape. They are close, but no cigar.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.