Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of plastic is the rain tray made of?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&PGirl
What kind of plastic was used to make the rain tray? I have a big crack that needs to be repaired. I plan to repair the crack with a plastic welder unless there are better suggestions.

Click to view attachment

The crack extends up the side of the tray
Click to view attachment

View without circles
Click to view attachment

A&PGirl
STL914
Why try to patch it? I have a couple of trays in very good condition from my 74 parts cars. If you're interested, PM me your e-mail address and I can send you some pictures.

Gary
jd74914
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Jan 28 2007, 02:58 PM) *

Full Time College Student...

That would be my guess as thats my situation laugh.gif
URY914
German plastic.
ClayPerrine
Don't forget to stop drill the cracks. biggrin.gif
JPB
The kinda plastic they used was thin and cheap. It could have been made heavier. It might be good to use some of that plastic bed liner spray on the back side to beef one up. OOOoops, not period correct or true to the mark. beer.gif
So.Cal.914
Could be a polyvinyl or maybe a delrin (500?), if I had to guess.
JoeSharp
If you can't get one of these guys to send you one let me know, we must have four good ones here that need new homes.
SGB
I used black RTV sealer stuff to fix the cracks in mine.
IronHillRestorations
My guess is polypropylene, because it's cheap. You are better off to get a better used one. Once the plastic starts to break down (crack like that) it will do it in other places.
A&PGirl
You guys are wonderful. pray.gif 914World is an incredible resource. Thank you all for your help. pray.gif I am getting a rain tray from Joe Sharp.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
How about forgetting repairing it and buy a brand new one from Performance products? They are making a decent repro and it is cheap! We buy it from them and resell it!!!!
tracks914
College Student....use duct tape, it's good enough for NASCAR @ 200mph.......
JoeSharp
Sorry about the delay in shipping you the tray Carrie. I have been pretty busy. I made up a box and will ship it tomorrow.

IPB Image
Trekkor
How about some more pics of the tile floor... laugh.gif

I have a spare rain tray in the shed. Doesn't everyone?

KT
anthony
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 29 2007, 05:33 AM) *

My guess is polypropylene, because it's cheap. You are better off to get a better used one. Once the plastic starts to break down (crack like that) it will do it in other places.

My rain looks pretty good after 33 years and 160K miles. This one looks like it got smashed some how.

Johny Blackstain
This brings up the old question... huh.gif What did the GT cars do when it was raining? cool_shades.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Jan 30 2007, 07:17 AM) *

You guys are wonderful. pray.gif 914World is an incredible resource. Thank you all for your help. pray.gif I am getting a rain tray from Joe Sharp.

I'm surprised none of these reprobates didn't ask for a picture.....of the car.... blink.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 12 2007, 02:56 PM) *

This brings up the old question... huh.gif What did the GT cars do when it was raining? cool_shades.gif

Get wet! biggrin.gif
A&PGirl
I don't know what happened to my rain tray other than it came cracked and stay cracked till I removed it. Does duck tape work on rear window leakage?

If you want to see my car I'll have to go take a picture, after my Dad brings it back. driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Feb 13 2007, 12:11 PM) *

Does duck tape work on rear window leakage?

Not very well I'm afraid. Try RTV sealant instead. cool_shades.gif
Dr Evil
Rear windows use butyl tape or the butyl that come sin a calk style tube. You would probebly need to remove the window, clean and reseal it. to remove the window you need to remove the back pad and cushions that surround the window. Not easy, but not hard, just time consuming.

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.