Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: before I cut out more... what is the best route
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
here's where I'm at so far, started a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I just bought a Lincoln Elec 150 last week that should do the job fine. My first thoughts practicing with that are that I seem to have picked up welding fairly easily, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about... I've practiced on scrap I've cut out from the car, but welding them back together, exhaust pipe, angle iron... none of it has been too difficult. Time to get some gas before I touch the car though.

Anyway, I will probably remake a new body cart with steel stock... one that I can bolt on adapters to hold the suspension mounting points stable as I think that is going to be a good idea if i take out anymore. I think before I do cut the frame I will add in tangerines rear pickup reinforcement and inner console reinforcements as well as a long and rear chassis stiffening kit.

I just dont want the car to flex... after hammer back down both of my front jack donuts my passenger side is still about 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch off the wooded cart. It may be that its just leaning because its really resting on the center under the tunnel but it could be that the car is tweeked a bit. I think i was 1.4 inch off between the top of the windsheild and the rollbar when i measured those distances. I dont know what they were but thats what the difference was.

comments suggestions. I actually feel like i'm getting closer to sending it to paint. even thought i know im still pretty far away. smile.gif

Thanks

IPB Image
click here for larger of that one

IPB Image
IPB Image
Crazyhippy
An "assistant" will make life much easier. Hold a piece of metal over the back side of the hole, and draw around it w/ a sharpie to get the exact dimensions figured out. Cut it out, and fit untill it's perfect (take your time here, it makes the welding 100% easier).

Then you and your assistant hold the piece where it will live, and tack. Hold the top, tack the bottom and sides... Take a hammer and ensure things are right where you want. Can hold the hammer against the edge to keep the metal in line and tack next to it if needed. tack one side again, then the other, work around the metal, and dont put too much heat in one spot. If you need to adjust, use the hammer.

The pass. firewall might be easier in 2 pieces, and when all is done you grind the welds, and no one will know.

Slow, methodical, and keep the heat spread out.
Krieger
Wait, we'll know!
Andyrew
If you dont have an assistant.. get some magnents... a bunch of them!!
You will use them ALL on this job. (with or without the assistant)

btw, it looks good, A little more work (at least cleaning) on the drivers side, and you'll be good to go.
snflupigus
thanks guys... i bought a bunch of magnets and but joint clamps at harbor freight last week. I need to find some hammers etc.. and I also need to find a place to by the sheet metal stock i'll need to fill this up. Then again, I might just order then trim the panels that AA sells

I'm comparing my job to the red one that AA finished a while back, almost identical repair in the hellhole area. I'm sure im not the only one with the same repair.

Does anybody know the exact gauge specs of the framerail and firewall? I suppose I could measure then call someone. for what I cant buy stamped.

I've been sketching most of today the ideas I have for reinforcement. I like Patrick motorsports tube reinforcements. I think I'll blend their ideas with some others I've seen. Once I get the new body cart made in metal so its more precise and adjustable, I can make sure the car isnt tweeked. even if it is, its only a 1/4 inch out... i'll pull the front passenger corner back in line then weld in the reinforcments and partial cage in.

can the body twist a lot when welding in on this frame rail? What about when putting in the long reinforcements?

I pulled my back kinda wicked yesterday lifting part of the trans up onto jackstands to clean it up a bit... BAD idea bending over to reach for a jackstand while holding half the trans up... I've never pulled my back before but i dont EVER want to feel this again. getting better slowly. I'm 26 and already throwing out my back LOL

well thanks for the help guys. maybe if im lucky i'll drive it next year. LOL.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(snflupigus @ Jan 28 2007, 04:21 PM) *

here's where I'm at so far, started a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I just bought a Lincoln Elec 150 last week that should do the job fine. My first thoughts practicing with that are that I seem to have picked up welding fairly easily, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about... I've practiced on scrap I've cut out from the car, but welding them back together, exhaust pipe, angle iron... none of it has been too difficult. Time to get some gas before I touch the car though.

Anyway, I will probably remake a new body cart with steel stock... one that I can bolt on adapters to hold the suspension mounting points stable as I think that is going to be a good idea if i take out anymore. I think before I do cut the frame I will add in tangerines rear pickup reinforcement and inner console reinforcements as well as a long and rear chassis stiffening kit.

I just dont want the car to flex... after hammer back down both of my front jack donuts my passenger side is still about 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch off the wooded cart. It may be that its just leaning because its really resting on the center under the tunnel but it could be that the car is tweeked a bit. I think i was 1.4 inch off between the top of the windsheild and the rollbar when i measured those distances. I dont know what they were but thats what the difference was.

comments suggestions. I actually feel like i'm getting closer to sending it to paint. even thought i know im still pretty far away. smile.gif

Thanks

IPB Image
click here for larger of that one

IPB Image
IPB Image

The wheelhouse the engine shelf an upper longitudinal repair and a cut piece from a backwall will fix you right up! This car is minorly rusted!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you may want to look at the thread "heaven for the hell hole" to see what is available in the aftermarket. The picture shows a bunch of the aftermarket parts all welded together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.