Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Height required to remove 6 cyl.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
I'm a new 914-6 owner. I need to drop the engine but don't know the height required to get the engine and trans out. Anybody know if ramps are ok vs. axle stands?
Jeffs9146
It depends on the motor and the jack you are using! See the attached photo! I couldn't lower the motor very far with this type of jack so I had to raise the car.

Jeff
dflesburg
Good Grief man,

Bad jack! Bad! Bad!
Joe Bob
Not too tall, Clay can do it.....
Jeffs9146
Good Grief man,

Bad jack! Bad! Bad!

agree.gif I had to do it like that because I was working alone and I needed a stable surface to roll the motor around on!

Next time will be different!

Jeff
Joe Bob
Why did you pull the swing arms?
jimkelly
can't you just use a furniture dolly and lower the car to the motor. i suppose removing the rear wheels would allow an even lower drop to motor if needed?

this is how we did a v8 install and this is an easy/safe way to do a type4 install too.

jim
Jeffs9146
Why did you pull the swing arms?

One was bent so I took everything off, replaced and powder coated everything. Now it is all nice and new!

Jeff
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 28 2007, 07:34 PM) *

can't you just use a furniture dolly and lower the car to the motor. i suppose removing the rear wheels would allow an even lower drop to motor if needed?

this is how we did a v8 install and this is an easy/safe way to do a type4 install too.

jim

It's really hard to bolt the engine in when the car is sitting on the ground. A

couple jackstands and a floor jack and your rocking.

Mike I am shocked by your avatar, why didn't you put in the rest of her?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.