Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Birthday Present
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
I finally reached the big 40 on January 26th. For this milestone, my wife gave me a 1973 914 2.0 last Friday. I guess I need another toy to help me through my midlife crisis.

It has an older repaint in the original color and although not perfect, it is pretty nice. The interior needs cleaning, but otherwise in excellent condition. The car included a set of workshop manuals, as well as several other 914 books and manuals. The orginal warranty book shows the car was delivered in June 2003 from Commonwealth Porsche-Audi in Boston, Massachusetts.

The car has black bumpers which look like the correct type, but I have never seen them on a 2.0 that had the apperance group otherwise. I once owned another 1973 2.0 that had the black bumpers, but it was a non-appearance group car without sail panel vinyl and the sail trim was black. I hope to order the C of A from Porsche soon to answer some questions. Do these bumpers look correct?

rwjames
A few more pictures.
gopack
now we all need pics of the wife!
Seriously, great looking car! congrats
jasons
Yeah good wife. But smart too heres why...

She didn't buy you a Vette with 300hp so you would stay out of trouble.

She didn't buy you a project that you would waste all your time and money on. You will still have time and money for her!

Nice Car! Looks clean in the pics
John
Why was it delivered 30 years late? poke.gif

Nice looking car. It should have chrome bumpers if it was the appearance group. (easy enough to change out if that's what you want to do)

After 30 some years, very few are all (completely) original.

Drive it and be happy.
Crazyhippy
I dont think the bumpers are original. But i'm no CW expert... I like the look, much more buisness than bling.

BJH
So.Cal.914
The bumpers do look factory right down to the tits.

Your wife got this for you? Does she have a sister?

Nice car.
911quest
Congrats Rich Chuck showed me pictures yesturday very nice 914
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 29 2007, 10:49 AM) *

The bumpers do look factory right down to the tits.

Your wife got this for you? Does she have a sister?

Nice car.

Dose she have two sister?? You must be doing something right. Congrats dude.
jhadler
Congrats!!

The car looks very good. I agree that the bumpers are probably not the original ones. The '73 2.0L's were all fully loaded... center console, sway bars, Fuchs (all of which you have), and chrome bumpers. The bumperettes on the front are correct, but the first 2.0L's all had chrome bumpers. It's possible the re-paint might have been from some damage? And maybe the bumpers were replaced at the time, or just painted black. It's easier to paint a bumper then to have it re-chromed...

Still, there are plenty of resources on this forum that you can get original chrome bumpers from that won't charge you an arm and a leg.

I personally like the look of the black bumpers better anyway...

-Josh2
Toast
Holey F In Poo Poo! w00t.gif

Your wife does rock! aktion035.gif

Congrats! wub.gif
Brew
I cant wait to show my wife this thread, since my 40th is coming up in a few months! Hint, hint honey!!!

Congrats! Looks like she picked a good car, and you picked a good wife!
rwjames
I think I'll keep my wife. She understands my 914 illness and often supports me in it. After all, she first introduced me to 914's in the first place so it's all her fault, right? She has actually been bugging me to go look at two 914-6's for sale, but they are both a full days drive away and I haven't gotten around to it. I guess the six will wait for a while.

I don't know a lot of history on the car, but a New York plate came in the trunk, so I'm assuming it was repainted during a restoration several years ago after some years in the north. I have not found any evidence of accidents which is normally easy to spot on 914s so I'll bet the exterior finish had deteriorated. The fit and finish of the interior and rest of the car looks original.

The original chrome bumpers may have been replaced with the black bumpers from a non-appearance group car because they don't look like painted chrome bumpers. I guess I need to order the C of A from Porsche to shed some light on the originality of the car.

mueba.gif rocking nana.gif aktion035.gif
rwjames
Tony, I understand you picked up a new toy this weekend too. You need to post some pictures of the six or I will post the ones Chuck sent me if you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.