Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing front wheel bearrings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Getting ready to replace the front wheel bearrings and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know before attempting to follow the incredibly in-depth procedure that the Hanes manual presents the reader. Keeping in mind that I've never done this before on any car.

Any tips, pics or "whatever you do, don't do this..." would be much appreciated.

beer.gif

Thanks!

SGB
It is pretty goof-proof. PVC pipe (I dunno, 2 1/2 in diameter maybe) is good to press the bearing race onto the hub.
Pelican sells a a little bearing seal thing that you could put on first, but I've never had 'em, and I don't think many folks do.
Look at the new bearing carefully before you put 'em in. I had one with a flaw in a ball, caused a hard to diagnose problem I thought was tire or alignment related until it disentigrated completely.
PRS914-6
Although the concept is very simple (knock out the old and press in the new) a little mistake will drive you crazy.

DO NOT just stick a tool through the hub and beat the races out. The lip where the races are pressed against in the hub is critical. If you ding that area, the race will not go back in perfectly straight. The result will be a slight wobble and brake shudder or you will have to tighten the bearing too much to get rid of the play since the races are not parallel. That will generate more heat.

Whatever method you use, just use caution to protect the machined areas.

The races will press in a little easier if you put the races in the freezer and warm the hubs in an oven. You have to be fast at the installation though since it doesn't take long for the pieces to equalize their temperatures once touching each other.

Good Luck....
SGB
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:13 AM) *

The races will press in a little easier if you put the races in the freezer and warm the hubs in an oven.

Very good point. I did not heat the hubs (it was August) but did freeze the bearing races.
rjames
Cool, just the type of info I was looking for.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.