Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T Whos got falsies?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Im talking teeth here happy11.gif The years of sodas and sucking on candy have taken their toll. My dentist says I need 7 crowns redone and a bunch of other crap. Who me in braces?? PPLLEASE I have had a bad bite patern for ever. I was thinking long run it may be more feasable to just get them all pulled and get a set of dentures. Cost should be less and I would be able to close my mouth and not have my top teeth over my lowers on one side and vica versa. Also my jaw may just stop bugging me when closed? Any one have them Pros VS Cons??
SGB
I'm sorry.

you're scaring me.
cooltimes
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jan 29 2007, 09:50 PM) *

Im talking teeth here happy11.gif The years of sodas and sucking on candy have taken their toll. My dentist says I need 7 crowns redone and a bunch of other crap. Who me in braces?? PPLLEASE I have had a bad bite patern for ever. I was thinking long run it may be more feasable to just get them all pulled and get a set of dentures. Cost should be less and I would be able to close my mouth and not have my top teeth over my lowers on one side and vica versa. Also my jaw may just stop bugging me when closed? Any one have them Pros VS Cons??

Don't get any teeth removed that are healthy. Keep what you can. You need some to keep the false ones from falling out unless you want to stick them in with PoliGrip?
Love to nibble on things like ..... apples? A good dentist won't pull your teeth unless they can't be repaired or you just ask and you don't appear that dumb to me.
Go for partials if you have your molars as that is what I have and I can eat too many things without any problem except getting heavier.
May cost a couple of hundred dollars more but once they are pulled, they are gone forever and you can't eat things like candy, nuts, apples or chew gum to name a few. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif mrs.K.gif driving-girl.gif
Keep em.

Mike
So.Cal.914
I have my own teeth but both of my brother in laws have falsies and

dentures too. They like having good looking and fitting teeth but wished

that they had paid the extra an saved their teeth. I keep trying to talk

my wife into getting them. biggrin.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 29 2007, 10:09 PM) *

I have my own teeth but both of my brother in laws have falsies and

dentures too. They like having good looking and fitting teeth but wished

that they had paid the extra an saved their teeth. I keep trying to talk

my wife into getting them. biggrin.gif

Sneaking in a funny are you!!!!! Good one. clap56.gif
drgchapman
First off, I'm a Dentist, an Orthodontist actually for the past 20 years.

False teeth = wooden leg.

You will lose 75% of your chewing function. You will give up ~ 30% of taste, most people don't realize that taste buds are in the roof of the mouth as well as the tongue.

You will be a cripple.

An old Dentist buddy of mine has a great saying:
Teeth aren't for everyone............

Think about it. Talk with your Dentist.
ClayPerrine
I try to take care of my teeth. I don't want to lose any. And I have a second complete set of permanent teeth waiting to come in. My dentist even advised me to get a crown on a cracked tooth rather than pull it and let the spare come in.

You don't want dentures. It is kinda scary for a little kit to see teeth in a glass next to the bed (my grandmother).

DanT
ask 100 people with dentures if they are happy with them...
98 will say no
the other 2 are not being truthfull... biggrin.gif

Dentures are the last resort. sad.gif
In order of desirability. Not necessarily cost...
How much is natural function and esthetics worth to you?
natural teeth
fillings
crowns
implants
bridges
removable partials
full dentures.

in that order... smile.gif

and yes I fix choppers for a living (not the motorized type) biggrin.gif teef.gif tooth.gif
John
And I have a second complete set of permanent teeth waiting to come in.

WTF.gif

What are you talking about?
quadracerx
I too have considered complete dentures....all the dentists I have talked to about it recommend that you keep your real teeth for as long as possible at all costs...the ONLY advantage is looks....

As for having a full second set of adult teeth....it is rare but it is not unheard of....

I cant remember the exact name for one of the conditions....one of the previous dentists may be able to give you the exact name....as I remember it was called something like...

Clydo Crainial......* its three words...and I cant remember the third name or even the correct spelling of the first two words but its something like that...my dad had this condition....

Thanks...

Steve
So.Cal.914
Kind of like a shark. smile.gif
DanT
cleidocranial dysotosis

many features of this autosomal disease.
heavy brow
wide nose bridge
extended retention of the primary dentition and or a second set of adult teeth.
incomplete developement or absence of clavicle (collar bone) allows the patient to touch their shoulders together in front of them
So.Cal.914
Not like a shark...they don't have sholders.
Jake Raby
I just popped a 6 momnth odl crown out today.... Man was I pissed! so pissed that I walked right into the Dentist' office without an appointment, sat down and waited for someone to ask me why I was there.

Then the shit hit the fan!

These bastards have been pissing me off for the past 8 months, charging too damn much, not giving a damn about the patient and then the work doesn't even last....
So.Cal.914
Here's one for you Jake:

Go to an Orthodontist for braces, he tells me I need six teeth pulled. Ok, he's

a doctor i'll bite (pune intended), so I get the teeth pulled and we are about

half way thru my treatment and he embezzles all of the down payments that

his other patients and I have made and sails off into the sunset. I go to another

Orthodontist and he tells me that I had to many teeth pulled and if I move

my top teeth where they were planning to move them I won't be able to close

my mouth all the way with out doing damage to my jaw.

Thank you.
autohausdolby
sad.gif I opened this thread expecting boobies biggrin.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(autohausdolby @ Jan 31 2007, 07:41 AM) *

sad.gif I opened this thread expecting boobies biggrin.gif

We are. About half of us are boobies. biggrin.gif
You have to choose who. blink.gif

But staying on topic,
Broke off 2 teeth direct center of the mouth, flat with the gums in my fighting days.
What about getting the jawbone drilled and installing the teeth permanent?
Forget the term. Cost too much I thought and eventually the need grew so I got a wire clipon tooth like these I got a few years ago called partials.
autohausdolby
laugh.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 31 2007, 12:15 AM) *

cleidocranial dysotosis

many features of this autosomal disease.
heavy brow
wide nose bridge
extended retention of the primary dentition and or a second set of adult teeth.
incomplete developement or absence of clavicle (collar bone) allows the patient to touch their shoulders together in front of them

The only one of those I have is the extra set of teeth. It was funny. I went to the dentist to get a tooth checked for a loose filling. He took x-rays of the tooth. Then he came back in and said "I want to take full mouth xrays of you." I kinda looked at him funny and he said "Oh.. this is just to check something, I won't charge you for them." so I agreed.

He came back in holding the xrays, and said "We were taught this was possible in dental school, but I have never seen a real person with a second complete set of teeth waiting to come in."

What sucks is that I had my wisdom teeth out at age 17. I have to have it done again for the second set. headbang.gif
cooltimes
Be sure and get Clay to the next saw-alls party in case electric power goes off.

dbu356
Get out of this country!!!

My cousin just got 11 crowns done In Los Algodones, Mexico for $2300.

Went in on Monday for initial work returned on Wednesday for final appt.

Loves them

http://www.losalgodones.com/
DanT
drop me a line in a few years when it all falls apart.... sad.gif

so now this is a Dentist bashing thread? dry.gif

you gets, whats you pays for

Oh thats rights....this is the CSOB group. biggrin.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 31 2007, 05:39 PM) *

drop me a line in a few years when it all falls apart.... sad.gif

so now this is a Dentist bashing thread? dry.gif

you gets, whats you pays for

Oh thats rights....this is the CSOB group. biggrin.gif

What does CSOB mean?
Cowboys Sucks On Boobies? agree.gif
Just funning. Nobody bashing anyone.
Problem is the question asked is still a question unresolved because he can't afford any of the solution any of us offered or he wouldn't have asked. BTDT.

DanT
biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
Wisdom teeth out when I was 35 - 2 needed it, 2 didn't, so all 4 came out- didn't want to go through it again, though it wasn't bad (nurses had to fight me off from SP & they were fat & ugly!)
Went to work that afternoon!

Subsequently, 2 RC's & bridges. Sort of hated to destroy a good tooth for each, but after 14 years I can still chew rocks if I want.

Good decision both times, but my doc was UK & I'm a little "partial" - pun intended!!!!
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.