Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DFW Tech Session/BBQ - Feb 10
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
All,

Clay has graciously volunteered to help me put the L-JET FI system back on my single carb 1.8L '74. blue914.jpg After some discussion we though we would open it up and make it a tech session and invite all who would be interested in learning/helping to the party

The event will be at Clay's house, as he has the lift, tools and access to extra parts we might need.

Clay mentioned maybe doing burgers etc. jsharp.gif I don't know how these things usually work, but it might be a kind of cool pot-luck event.

Thanks Clay and Betty for opening your Garage (and home) to us! aktion035.gif

Doug
spare time toys
About what time? I have basketball with my Special Olympic guts untill 11.
dagdal1967
Clay can chime in on this one, but last time we started about 10:00 AM and were there until well into the afternoon (3:30 or 4:00) ...

I have a feeling this session might last a little longer, but I could be completely mistaken!

Clay?
ClayPerrine
10 am is fine. Anyone who wants to come or go during that time is welcome.

Doug, it should only take a few hours to do this. The hardest part is running the wiring for the relocated fuel pump.

dagdal1967
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 30 2007, 06:30 PM) *

10 am is fine. Anyone who wants to come or go during that time is welcome.

Doug, it should only take a few hours to do this. The hardest part is running the wiring for the relocated fuel pump.

Great! I hope we don't run into anything weird. Would love to have it done so that I can get some miles on it testing it out. Once it's running reliably, it will become my daily driver and the Jeep will get a (well earned) rest.

I'm so excited! boldblue.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
dagdal1967
Clay,

If the FI conversion isn't going to take more than a couple of hours, can we also shoot to swap out the shift bushings? Would be a great opportunity while it's up on the lift.

Doug
tat2dphreak
awesome! I gotta check the schedule and stuff but I'm anxious to see this...

sorry I haven't been on the site much lately
Grelber
I'll try to be there. What to bring?
MBowman325
I oughta be able to make it. Was hoping to get down to that part of TX around then anyways... I can bring something. smile.gif Or somethings...

Can't tell you how much I miss seeing the Texas Flag. Everytime I see a TX area code on the phones, that's what it makes me think of.

flag.gif
dagdal1967
Clay, you wanna chime in here about how you wanna do the BBQ thing?

Should people bring side dishes, drinks, meat, etc?

Let us all know!

Doug
ClayPerrine
It is probably going to be cold, so I don't want to stand outside to tend a BBQ. We can all chip in for pizza, we have the fridge for drinks (BYOB). Bring some folding chairs, or you gotta stand up, I only have a few.

We can do the shift linkage after the FI fix. If someone wants to take pictures, I can write this up.

I wish I had the webcam up so the rest of 914World could participate. Hopefully this can happen in the future.

Oh.. and everyone can see the second generation AC compressor brackets for my Six. They are about half finished right now.

Address

3309 Austin Ct.
Hurst, TX. 76054

If you need directions, Just drop me a PM.

dagdal1967

icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
Thoward914
To add a little variety I'll bring the 944. I want to replace the timing belt before my daughter Cathy does the PCA autocross schools. The weather for Saturday is a high of 44 degrees. It sure would be nice to do this in Clay's garage instead of my driveway. bye1.gif
LowGT
I think my wife is working some overtime on Saturday, so I might be able to come. My V8 conv isn't running yet, it's a wiring nightmare. So I guess it will be the Ford Ranger beater as usual. tongue.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Feb 6 2007, 10:43 PM) *

To add a little variety I'll bring the 944. I want to replace the timing belt before my daughter Cathy does the PCA autocross schools. The weather for Saturday is a high of 44 degrees. It sure would be nice to do this in Clay's garage instead of my driveway. bye1.gif

You wanna dis my crib by riding a WATER PUMPER ?!?!?!?!?! I might just put a cap in yo ass for that!! poke.gif

You realize that it will take hours to do the FI on Doug's car? So I won't have time to help with the belt. You can use the garage, but we are going to be busy.

QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 7 2007, 01:17 AM) *

I think my wife is working some overtime on Saturday, so I might be able to come. My V8 conv isn't running yet, it's a wiring nightmare. So I guess it will be the Ford Ranger beater as usual. tongue.gif

What kind of wiring problems... I may be able to help.
jr91472
You guys and girls have fun without me. Too many kids activities this weekend.

beer.gif
dagdal1967
I'm really looking forward to this. boldblue.gif

I've had AC guys in (and above) my garage this weeks so to save potential damage due to idiocy or accident, I've been driving the 914 to work every day. This has helped me remember A) why I own one in the first place, and cool.gif how crappy the carb conversion is and how anxious I am to get back to FI.

In the mornings when its cold outside, the car runs like stromberg.gif, but once the day has warmed up, especially the last 2 days, she drives like the car I remember! driving.gif

Once again HUGH thanks to Clay for helping me get everything ready and for actually doing the conversion back to FI.

You da Man!!! pray.gif
LowGT
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2007, 07:49 AM) *

Hack job wiring problems. THe original owner who did the comversion decided to eliminate the relay board himself, i.e cut off connector and run 3-4 connections off each wire. He had the same ideas about connecting accessories to the fuse panel. A good example being, when I turn on the hazards every light in the car blinks. dry.gif So I've been slowly cleaning up his wiring attempts.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 7 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Hack job wiring problems. THe original owner who did the comversion decided to eliminate the relay board himself, i.e cut off connector and run 3-4 connections off each wire. He had the same ideas about connecting accessories to the fuse panel. A good example being, when I turn on the hazards every light in the car blinks. dry.gif So I've been slowly cleaning up his wiring attempts.

It sounds like it would be simpler to remove the harness and replace it with a good used one.

Ask some of the members here if they have a harness they would sell you. It is easy to change it out.
dagdal1967
icon_bump.gif for those that might not have seen it...

2 days and counting...
Red86944

QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Feb 6 2007, 10:43 PM) *

You wanna dis my crib by riding a WATER PUMPER ?!?!?!?!?! I might just put a cap in yo ass for that!! poke.gif

You realize that it will take hours to do the FI on Doug's car? So I won't have time to help with the belt. You can use the garage, but we are going to be busy.

QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 7 2007, 01:17 AM) *

Dis your crib????? A Water Pumper would IMPROVE your crib!!! you know my car looks so good.....
you are so funny..... you know that you would love to see what makes a water pumper tick I always see the sparkle in your eye every time she is around you.
Come on Clay its ok to admit it.

av-943.gif
Bryho
Wish I could stop by but I have family stuff to attend too.
Would like to meet more of you DFW guys.
Maybe I can get some help getting mine up an running someday...
zen motorcycle
I am out as well, although I would love to get more familiar with FI I am in the midst of moving so it is a fun filled weekend of packing up my own garage. headbang.gif

Have fun
spare time toys
SOOOO how did it go? wavey.gif
jr91472
Yea, what no pics or nothin???

Actually I spoke to Clay today, they were out frantically looking for a fuel pump for Doug. The L-jet was all installed and ready to go, but no fuel pressure. sad.gif

Hang in there Doug!! She'll be running in no time....

Grelber
Doug: So that old fuel pump we were kidding about didn't work? You should have called, I've got a brand new rotary pump sitting in the garage (it's for mine, but I'd let you have it for now).

ClayPerrine
Yep.. the whole thing is back together.. fuel pump would thunk but not turn. I had a bunch of spares, only one would turn, and it leaked. headbang.gif We managed to unstick the one Doug had, but it wouldn't make any pressure. headbang.gif headbang.gif

I am going to call Zim's this mornig when they open, and get a fuel pump. Then its home to install it and test the fuel system.

Grelber
Clay: I read the new thread on wiring the fuel pump thru the relay board. Right now mine is run off the coil, and when I move the pump to the front, I want to rewire it. How bad of a sin will it be to run it off a switched terminal on the fuse block (with an inline fuse as well)?
MJHanna
QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 7 2007, 12:49 PM) *

I've got a parts car you can have what ever wiring you need but you have to pull it yourself. aktion035.gif
Bleyseng
Busdepot has the Ljet pumps on sale
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=043906091
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 12 2007, 08:01 AM) *

Clay got one at Zimms for $150, rebuilt. So he'll be able to get it on the car tonight and try to get things running.

Sorry Ron... Didn't even think to call you. Not that many people have parts like that lying around... I'll remember you for my next emergency! ;-)

Grelber
$150.00!!?? Holy Sh*t, a brand new rotary was under $100.00, shipped. (with a new filter).
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Grelber @ Feb 12 2007, 12:07 PM) *

$150.00!!?? Holy Sh*t, a brand new rotary was under $100.00, shipped. (with a new filter).

This is a rebuilt factory pump. Yours will work , but I know this one is an exact bolt on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.