Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody tried mounting these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MartyYeoman
Anybody mount these in the stock speaker locations yet?

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/mmc460/
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jan 30 2007, 12:29 PM) *

Anybody mount these in the stock speaker locations yet?

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/mmc460/

we use the blaupunkt 462 speakers and just modify the mounting frame slightly and they then fit great.
wilchek
I think these were the same ones I used. They will fit just need to bend the heat tubes slightly. However, I think they sounded poor. Way too much treble. I would recommend modifying the mounts a little and going with some 5x7 They will be tight but it is doable if you get the right speaker. Get something with a small magnet depth. These are not the best speakers but they have a good mount depth

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W2EnNEaguau/c...p;s=0&cc=01
banger
I have these speakers in my car. Pretty easy to fit. They dont line up with the stock holes, so you will have to bolt them through the grills. They sound Ok, but definately do not have much bass. I am adding an 8" sub to help the bottom end.
mightyohm
Totally in another direction, but I just installed a new stereo with morph's speaker pods and a set of round 6.5" Polk db650 speakers and WOW was that a HUGE improvement over the 5x9's someone had crammed into my stock speaker boxes. I can only imagine how bad 4x6's would sound because of the lack of bass response. If you are going to spend any money on speakers and you can handle non stock appearance I would totally go with the morphenspectra pods.
TonyAKAVW
I just installed these a few weeks ago, just after Christmas. I had to modify the plastic flanges a bit with a dremel tool, but they fit okay. One way to improve the mid-bass response of these it to completely enclose them. Its very tight inside the stock speaker panel and thats why I gave up on it. It would have been a real serious project to get that done correctly. Its true that they don't have much bass response but you will never get much bass from an unenclosed 4 inch driver. I suplemented mine with a 6 inch JL Audio subwoofer with amplifier. The whole thing (amp, sub, enclosure) sits in the passenger footwell and comes out when I want less weight or more foot space for a passenger.

I'm reasonably pleased with the sound considering the amount of work I put into it. Ask Clayton (twystd1) about good sound in a 914. He's the authority here.

-Tony
krazykonrad
If they're Momos, they'll definitely w00t.gif w00t.gif make it go faster!
pbanders
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 31 2007, 01:42 AM) *

Totally in another direction, but I just installed a new stereo with morph's speaker pods and a set of round 6.5" Polk db650 speakers and WOW was that a HUGE improvement over the 5x9's someone had crammed into my stock speaker boxes. I can only imagine how bad 4x6's would sound because of the lack of bass response. If you are going to spend any money on speakers and you can handle non stock appearance I would totally go with the morphenspectra pods.

I've got 6.5" Boston Acoustic speakers in my doors, and I recently bought a set of the same speaker pods you mention, with Blaupunkt speakers.

I'm sure the 6.5" speakers are better than the 5x9's you had, but when I compare mine to my door speakers, they don't even come close. It's just too small a cavity to get decent bass. I had some expensive 4"x6" (2-way Infinity's) in there before, and the switch to 6.5" was only a marginal improvement (but at least I got rid of the super-fragile plastic stock speaker grilles), and probably due as much to the increased volume as to the change in speakers.

IMO, if you want decent sound, you either need to bite the bullet and cut the doors, or add a subwoofer in the console.
pbanders
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jan 31 2007, 02:14 AM) *

I just installed these a few weeks ago, just after Christmas. I had to modify the plastic flanges a bit with a dremel tool, but they fit okay. One way to improve the mid-bass response of these it to completely enclose them.

What did you do to "completely enclose them"? I was thinking about backing the whole cavity with dense acoustic foam.
BigDBass
Wasn't someone working on a setup to put a subwoofer in passenger the footwell?
TonyAKAVW
Brad: I didn't end up enclosing them. However my plan was to use some high density fiber board and make a 'gasket' to fit between the speaker and the plastic housing, and from the edges of the gasket, make an enclosure with 1/8 inch fiberboard and glue it all together. The gasket would require some careful work with a router and lots and lots of fitment. 1/8 inch fiberboard is probably not any good for a speaker enclosure, but there's no room for anything else. Reinforcing the walls inside might help. For a 4 inch driver you don't need much enclosed volume.

Another method would be to make a fiberglass enclosure. You could use the speaker pod as a mold, or just glass right to it.

-Tony
MartyYeoman
Thanks for all the input, espcecially your comments Tony.
These units sound 100% better than the Polk ones I currently have.
Now that I know they'll fit without too much issue I'll get myself a set.
(Probably a booster amp also.)
smilie_pokal.gif
orthobiz
My 76 914 had Dahlquist 3-way speakers. The car was recently sold off this forum (black/black with 80K miles).

Anyway, Dahlquist had a German 3-way speaker in a box. Weighed a ton. With the speaker's original mounting bracket, which allowed for turning, it was a simple matter of putting two bars of metal bracket to perfectly fit them in the factory position. Just barely fit under the trunk release (no palms-up pulling on the handle!).

This image from Andy's post (hope it works).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/and...mm/100_0523.jpg

biz
orthobiz
Upshot of the story: the sound was fantastic, no holes in the door and original location. My wife tells me to tell you that my hearing is going bad. Couldn't possibly be cranking these with the top off? They could still fill the car.

Who knows, maybe the Dahlquist Car Speakers will come up on eBay someday. If the woofer surrounds survived, I know a place who can probably re-surround them.

They do require a regular amplifier to drive them.

Paul
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jan 31 2007, 07:49 AM) *

Wasn't someone working on a setup to put a subwoofer in passenger the footwell?

Yeah, one of the fixed sites had instructions for putting one under the front of the pass. side, sort of like the pedal board position on the driver's side. I think it was a Pelican posting, but not sure.
If you want more bass, and more surround, too, find some really thin-profile home speakers, and put them behind your seats. Does wonders, and costs next to nothing if you prowl the goodwill, salvation army, etc. thrifts. might take a few months, but I've got some that really fill the car. Wire to rear speaker channels, and you can tune the output to get surround sound.
scotty b
Don't remember who it was but I saved a pic. James also makes his center console with a sub provision. 8" IIRC. I personally don't see any need in anything larger then 8"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.