Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: How big is that monkey?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
welder.gif
I like to work on my car.
Its a 3-D jigsaw puzzle I keep taking back apart- maybe so I don't ever know how many pieces are missing.
I work on it every day (well, night, usually). When I wake up, I start planning for that time. When I go to bed, I review tasks accomplished.

I think I may be, um, not well.

I really don't want to do much else, but when I do, my mind is still under the car.
So what I'm wondering is: Are there owners out there that just DRIVE these things? I like the drivin' too, but I like the wrenching- apparently as much as the driving.

Or maybe you just fix it when it's broken.

Or drive it 'till it stops and get someone else to get it going again.

I'm guessing there are a few DNY (do none yourself) folks here, but not many.

Whats your addiction level? headbang.gif
gopack
Now just start a poll about reading and visiting this site and the answer would be more like "JUNKIE"

I got to admit I agree with the zig saw puzzle sentiment, and I for one am a little scared of the pile of parts and stuff in the garage and basement. Sometimes i don't do anything at all, because I don't know where to begin! (but I think about it EVERY day!)
Crazyhippy
I'm more of a drive the wheels off it, and fix what i break kinda guy...

No option for that though, so i voted Weekend..

BJH
TonyAKAVW
Depends. Lately I haven't been working on it much. When i was knee deep in my conversion I was working on it daily pretty much.

-Tony
VaccaRabite
I actually think about selling the thing as soon as its finished and buying another project. I used to be big into balsa wood model airplanes. Building them - with all the firsteration that went into it, was always more fun to me then actually flying them.

I knwo that when I am done with the 914 I am going to build an old truck, I just don't knwo if the 914 will go to make room for it or not.

To an extent for me, the fun is in getting to the finish, and not so much as the finished project itself. If that makes any sence.
Zach
Rand
I voted weekend as closest answer. If I was single, I would be tinkering with it every weekend. I relate to your position... It's a fun hobby. But I only get to work on it every once in a while.

Fortunately I've been able keep it ahead of the curve and it's been a reliable daily driver for over two years. And I get to do some fun mods here and there.
Mikey914
It is trully an adiction! I have 3 - 1/2 Porsches (only because 1/2 of my sons car is mine so it goes nowhere with out the grades), and I find myself looking for more projects. Last night I was looking at an add in Craigslist, thinking "That is a good price and I could......." The wife said I could only if I sold one. Doah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta keep the wife happy grouphug.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 30 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I actually think about selling the thing as soon as its finished and buying another project. I used to be big into balsa wood model airplanes. Building them - with all the firsteration that went into it, was always more fun to me then actually flying them.

I knwo that when I am done with the 914 I am going to build an old truck, I just don't know if the 914 will go to make room for it or not.

To an extent for me, the fun is in getting to the finish, and not so much as the finished project itself. If that makes any sence.
Zach

Nice Zac . . . my 914 is done and waiting for it to warm up for paint so I've started my next project. Its a 1950 Ford F1 that was rodded in the late-50s with an Olds Rocket 303. My Dad put an F6 dump truck tranny in it because he kept blowing stock 4spds laugh.gif

Anyways, sorry for the hyjack. Related to the question, since I'm in school I only work on cars on the weekends I'm home and not doing stuff with people.

IPB Image

And the picture with 914 content laugh.gif
IPB Image

And the finished look that I'm going for:
IPB Image
SGB
I'm sorry I left the "fix what breaks" option out but this astute group has figured out what applies. Zach's got my sickness. Its the project thing. Except the best thing is you can't ever be "done with the 914". smile.gif

Oh, I have a real life, too. I do all my 914 stuff pretty late at night.

nice truck.
ws91420
Right now it is a w/e thing considering the car is a hour and a half away to work on. Frustratingf when you want to get something done but have to get cleaned up to leave so I can drive home and get enough sleep to work the next day. Not to mention I only get one w/e day to work on it.
BigDBass
I spend a lot of time staring at it under its cover in the garage. I didn't really prepare space to work on it in the garage and in any case it's too cold to work on it anyway. Besides too much 914-related web surfing, I also spend a fair amount of time reading and skimming the 914/Porsche/VW books I've collected, just trying to improve my theoretical understanding of how these things work.
PORobinSCHE
my addiction...... the size of the monkey?? king kong!!! welder.gif
Martin Baker
//////////
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SGB @ Jan 30 2007, 03:40 PM) *

Whats your addiction level? headbang.gif

Look at my signature....but I've scale down a lot. smile.gif
wndsrfr
I'm on it daily, clearly possessed.........oops, I mean obsessed with the wrenching as a path to the driving.
"I need a car that needs me more than I need the car....." biggrin.gif
JStroud
I've owned almost 50 cars and been working on them myself since I was 15, (a long time ago). Alot of them were strictly projects, some I just had to buy biggrin.gif

When I was younger I would work nights, weekends whenever, now that I'm older I find it harder to work after work at night, so mainly weekends now.
Ultimately I like to drive, but there's nothing better than driving a car you built.

Since I'm torn between driving and wrenching, I have 3 cars, one I did what was needed to get it drivable and presentable, with help from McMark to get it on the road quicker. My need to drive sometimes outways my desire to do all my own work, and as I get older some things I just don't want to do....good thing McMarks house needs lots of work happy11.gif

Now I have one to drive when I feel the need, and two projects to keep the wrenching side happy aktion035.gif

The black GT car will be a long term project, everything new or reconditioned from the ground up, lots of custom stuff to make it mine. shades.gif I'll be buried in it.

And yet Im still looking for new project cars everyday, never know when one will come along you just have to have.....I can fix that lol-2.gif ya I've got it bad.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.