Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Went out to start the 6 today. She's got a stock Bosch Ignition system, Bosch distributor and CDI box.

Anyway, she cranked but wouldn't start. So I hooked up a timing light to check for spark, no spark. Installed a spare Petronic's CD box to replace the original Bosch CD box. Started right up.

Let her run for about 10 minutes while checking some other things, lights, turn signals, etc. Reached in to goose the throttle, she died and wouldn't restart.

Hooked up the timing light again, no spark. Replaced the CD box with my last spare and she fired right up.

Now I'm wondering if this is just coincidence or is there something causing the CD boxes to fail.

It's got me baffled, I know that's easy to do.

Anyone got any ideas, I really hate to fry these things, they're not cheap.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Don
brp914
Don't toss the bosch CD. I had mine rblt for ~$100. But that was probably 10 yrs ago. I may still have the contact info, but not with me since I'm at work. The rblt doesn't whine, which is too bad since it sounded kinda cool before and let you know it was working.

As for cause, unfortunately I'm easily baffled too, so besides coincidence, these are WAG's:

did you drive it in the rain? maybe water in the wiring.

check wiring from CD to coil for abrasions causing short to ground

clean contacts on CD and coil

low coil primary resistance

DonTraver
Ok, cleaned checked all connections, checked for shorted wires, worn/abraded wires. Found nothing wrong.

Replaced MSD coil with orginal Bosch Coil, installed my last Permatune Module.

Fired right up, nice steady low idle while cold, warned up, came up to normal idle, nice and steady. Pushed throttle linkage, rpms came up nice and smooth, ran perfectly.

All auxilary circuits working normally, charging, lights, instruments, etc.

In other words, except for the ignition modules dying, everything else checks out fine. I hate that, damn. Maybe it was just coincidence.

Anyone know where I can get the CD module checked/rebuilt in case brp can't find his rebuild info? It's going to be a while before I trust the thing and would like to carry a extra, just in case.

Just another day in paradise.

Don
DonTraver
Permatune called back, there is a test procedure on their website, the Permatune failed.

Just a bad day in CD box land.

Installed the last box, ran for about 1/2 hour, restarted half a dozen times, so it goes.

Don
brp914
Don,

I looked high and low for the business card I had from the guy who fixed mine. No luck. My log book shows it was done in 1990! Time flies.

Anyways, more recently, I've seen them rblt from Ollies (see Excellence ad)
ClayPerrine
Send the CD box to Zim's. They rebuild them.

http://www.allzim.com/

800-356-2964
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.