Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I tell what type of strut I have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jagalyn
How do I tell what type of strut I have? I have a 74 2.0 liter. From what I've read, stock shocks were Boge and I would like to replace my original shocks with Bilstein. Can I use a Boge strut with a Bilstein insert?

Thanks in advance for the help.

J.
TheCabinetmaker
Short answer. Yes.
jagalyn
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 31 2007, 01:15 PM) *

Short answer. Yes.

So what is the long answer? How do I know what type of strut I have?
Thanks,
j.
Aaron Cox
is your strut black?? then its boge.

unless your car was specifically ordered with bills or koni's, then it should have boge housings....

you can get koni/bilstein/and boge inserts for a boge strut
TheCabinetmaker
I assume you have stock struts. they will be boge. Bilstein makes a direct replacement. They will give a little stiffer ride, but they make handling much better IMHO.
jagalyn

Shock absorbers: Most 914 LE cars were standard-equipped with Bilstein shock absorbers, where standard 914 Porsches received Boge shock absorbers. Bilstein and Koni shock absorbers were available only as optional upgrades. According to an acquaintance who contacted the Porsche Classics Center in Germany, the definitive source of factory 914 information, Bilsteins were not originally planned to be included with the 914 LE cars, but the decision to include them on the 914 Can Am cars was a safety decision. The factory was concerned that 914 cars with factory anti-roll bars and standard Boge shocks would have unacceptable and potentially unsafe oversteering. But I must mention that there is conflicting information from other sources. One of the earliest 914 LE cars on the 914 Can Am Registry has a COA stating that it was originally equipped with Koni shock absorbers as optional equipment. Maybe a few early 914 LE cars were built then the policy changed, hence the discrepancy?

This is from the rennlist 914 Limited Edition site. It states that most LE's came with bilsteins... but not all. My COA lists options but does not list bilsteins as one of them. So is color of the strut the "only" way to identify what type of strut I have or is there other distinguishing marks?

Thanks,
j.
Aaron Cox
pull the strut. pop off the dust cap...

bilsteins are inverted shocks. they are a very fat shaft outside the housing, while a boge/koni are a 5/8 diameter (approx) shaft above the housing...
scotty b
Check the housing just above the spindle. There is a stamping in the housing for Boge, I think others also have their name stamped in the housing confused24.gif
stugray
WOW, massive thread resurrection Batman.

I have a Vw(logo) 1208 cast into the spindle right behind the wheel bearing.
I assume that means a BOGE.

So where do I get racing inserts for these?
I have Koni kits for the rear coming from Ground Control, and havent taken the fronts apart yet.
I have 23mm hollow torsion bars and 22mm Welt sway bar.

Some of the hardware looks new(ER), so I assume the PO replace the front inserts.

Stu
stugray
Cmon, How to identify which strut & insert I have without taking it all apart?

Stu
r_towle
Get the PET parts guide...its online on the club site, or here...but its out there.
Look up the part number.

Rich
stugray
Tried that.

The ONLY # I can find on my strut is 1208 which does not look like any part #s from the official parts data.

Someone has upgraded the strut inserts on this forum, I just need to know what to tell ground control for new inserts.

Maybe they are all the same if you have a 914-4 or have NOT upgraded to 911 front susp.?

Problem is that the PO DID do some upgrades, and I cannot tell how far he went.

Stu
stugray
^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.