Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how hot does it get
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
How hot does the cyl head of a 3.2 get at the exhaust port?
Twystd1
Well I was thinking about your question and had to edit this.

If you mean EGT temps at the head... read on.

If you mean the aluminum around the exterior of the port. I dunno.

So please clarfy exactly where you want the measurement taken from.

EGTs would also depend greatly on the engine combo.

Henry at SuperTec or Neil Harvey or Jake and MattR would know the egts off the top of their heads.

They all have lots of dyno time on NA sixes. except I dont know anyone that has checked HEAD TEMP on the material adjacent to the exhaust port.

I CAN tell you what I have seen on a dyno.

We ran over 900 F - 1050 F on a NA honda engine with a EGT probe about 3 inches from the head. Note: Bracket race all aluminum straight 4engine, water cooled on 91 octane pump gas.

I have NEVER seen an engine EGT probe placed right at the junction of the exhaust pipe and the head. So I can only theorize what that temp would be.
Temp goes down fast the farther you get away from the combustion chamber. A few inches makes a difference.

On a turbo there can be 100 degrees F - 300+ degrees F difference in EGTs if you measure before or after the turbo..

Using the 1 5/8s Euro headers on a type 4 with the EGTs checked at about 6 inches from the head. (ChrisNPrider has those headers now)

We never got over 850 F on the in car data logging. This was a Type IV setup to go FAST.

On a turbo 4... Inline 4 (Mitsu) ... At 18lbs of intercooled boost for about 10 seconds full throttle produced 1250 - 1350. depending on timing and A/F.

They won't live for very long at those temps.

For most engines that I am familiar with.
If you allow the engine go over 1400 F for more than a few seconds. They start melting pistons...real fast. Note: Thats a water cooled engine.

Again... The data that i am familiar with is not measured at the header pipe to exhaust port junction.

Wait till the guys with a dyno show up. I want to see what their answers are myself.

I would think on a flat 6 NA air cooled with a high performance factory Porsche grind cam (S spec), good heads, and the right header. And being run very hard at the track or on a dyno. I be guessing 875- 925 F
Measured 12 inches away from the head.
Measured exactly At the exhaust port... Maybe add a couple of hundred degrees.

Lets see what the other guys say.

C
Aaron Cox
memory is failing me at the moment... didnt one size engine (3.2? 3.6?) heads have a coating in the exhaust port?
John
What is the real question.

Are you concerned that your headers won't last?

Are you concerned with the sealing rings I put in my headers to keep the exhaust port gaskets from blowing out (just like the factory heat exchangers did {that's where I got my idea from})?

I used mild steel.

I think what I used was 1 5/8" OD X 16 ga (0.065") DOM tubing

Steel doesn't typically melt until around 2,500 deg F
dflesburg
yup, wrote this the day we talked, i was looking for tubing

now I have the tubing, steel dom

hadn't been able to find anything but copper.

Now I have exactly what I need...

should be very good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.