Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Henry Payne
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I've lost track of more Porsche people than I care to count, and now & then a name pops up in my skull. I remember a fellow named Henry Payne, from WV I recall, who was a regular at midwest PCA events with his cranky 908. Recall that he had his own mini track where he lived (I think).

Anyone know of his well being these days. Very talkative & his startup regimen for the 908 was srtaight from the factory & would wake up the dead!
URY914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 1 2007, 06:17 PM) *

I've lost track of more Porsche people than I care to count, and now & then a name pops up in my skull. I remember a fellow named Henry Payne, from WV I recall, who was a regular at midwest PCA events with his cranky 908. Recall that he had his own mini track where he lived (I think).

Anyone know of his well being these days. Very talkative & his startup regimen for the 908 was srtaight from the factory & would wake up the dead!

As far as I know he is still around. His son, who looks just like him races with him. One year he was driving around Sebring in a BMW M1 street car. Very cool guy. He runs mostly in vintage events now.
pffft
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 1 2007, 06:17 PM) *

I think a friend of mine mentioned seeing both Henry and his son at VIR last
summer. Beyond that, i think I recall a piece on him in a magazine last fall,
but not sure which one. I'll check.

patrick
Pat Garvey
Intersting thing about the staratup regimen for the 908. Fire it, but no throttle. Let gurgle for about 30 sec's ( & belch out LOTS of smoke), then start ripping the throttle, at increasingly elevating levels. Starts making a noise that sounds just like "brabham, brabham". After 2-3 minutes it settles down (engine temps up) & goes back to a gurgle. Touch that throttle again & it makes an absolutely beautiful noise. I've seen it wake up an entire hotel one day in North Carolina.

What a treat! Sensual thing you never forget - just like you never forget hearing a 917 fire up.
URY914
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.