Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First 914 FIRE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Car is on the rotiserrie. The only thing I left on the car was the wiring harness and the fuse panel. The rear wires were all bundled up nicely in a bag in the engine compartment. devil.gif
I was welding up a patch in the fire wall from the drivers compartment side, and I guess some sparks flew into the engine compartment and started the bag on fire. new_shocked.gif
By the time I noticed it was on fire and put it out I had some big clumps of plastic and the fused together wire was toast!!
Anyone got a good used wiring harness....cheap???
r_towle
possibly from an Ljet, 74

Rich
McMark
I think he needs a whole car harness, Mike. wink.gif
davep
I may have one. Did have lots at one time. PM me if you want to work out something.
markb
You could also check with hwgunner. He's stripping a 76.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Feb 1 2007, 07:46 PM) *

Car is on the rotiserrie. The only thing I left on the car was the wiring harness and the fuse panel. The rear wires were all bundled up nicely in a bag in the engine compartment. devil.gif
I was welding up a patch in the fire wall from the drivers compartment side, and I guess some sparks flew into the engine compartment and started the bag on fire. new_shocked.gif
By the time I noticed it was on fire and put it out I had some big clumps of plastic and the fused together wire was toast!!
Anyone got a good used wiring harness....cheap???

If you have a 73 you need a 73 harness. They are unique. If you have a 70-71 the harnesses interchange. If you have a 74 you need a 74 it is unique. If you have a 75-76 they interchange.
Jeffs9146
I was welding up a patch in the fire wall from the drivers compartment side, and I guess some sparks flew into the engine compartment and started the bag on fire.

............blowup.gif
shocked[1].gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

JK

Jeff
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 2 2007, 07:30 AM) *

If you have a 73 you need a 73 harness. They are unique. If you have a 70-71 the harnesses interchange. If you have a 74 you need a 74 it is unique. If you have a 75-76 they interchange.

agree.gif i put a '74 harness in my '70 car and it was a lot of work to get it all right.
even needed some grinding and welding ...

save yourself a lot of headache and get a complete harness from the same year.
smile.gif Andy
tracks914
I'm not too worried about the engine wiring because I want to go with a 6 or a Raby 4 with carbs. Even if I got one from under the dash to the rear as long as I get all the power, lighting, charging, reverse I think I can make it work from there.
Is there a difference between the 73 1.7 and 2.0 harness?Early 73 and late 73?
GWN7
I've got one out of a 72...not knowing any better at the time I pulled it out by cutting it in 1/2 in the middle of the tunnel.

The tail section should be the same on all years?

You can have it, if it works to splice into your existing harness if you can't find a compleat one.

It's in my shed so I hope your not in a rush as the shed is burried under snow right now.
tracks914
I'll PM you.
Since all I think I need is for everything but the FI it just might work.
Snow? You have snow? We have about 12" in my yard right now. We can still drive anywhere by 4x4 and don't need a snowmachine yet!!!
orange914
ive got a complete 71 still in the car im parting. let me know if your still l@@king
tracks914
If I put a complete 71 in my car will the 1.7 FI still work?
So far the only differences I see (going to the rear) are:
console gauges wiring is not there
RR Def in not there
seat belt warning lights are not there.

From the fuse panel forward shouldn't they all be the same?

If change the whole thing out, what troubles am I looking forward to??
SirAndy
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 18 2007, 02:03 PM) *

'71 in a '73 car won't work unless you do some major modifications, like a '71 steering column etc.

your best bet is to get a complete harness for your year. call EASY and ask john or call HPH and ask rich ...
bye1.gif Andy

EASY

HPH
tracks914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 18 2007, 02:11 PM) *

'71 in a '73 car won't work unless you do some major modifications, like a '71 steering column etc.

So can I splice the rear section into the '73 harness?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 18 2007, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 18 2007, 02:11 PM) *

So can I splice the rear section into the '73 harness?

Whatever you do.... DO NOT SPLICE THE HARNESS TOGETHER

You will end up with problems that will take you months to sort out. I would follow the advice of most of the members here.. get a complete harness from a car of the same year. You will have much better luck by doing that.

Andy wrote an excellent article on how to replace the harness. Pull it now and finish the welding. Then put the replacement complete harness in the car.

tracks914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 18 2007, 07:13 PM) *

Pull it now and finish the welding. Then put the replacement complete harness in the car.

Car is welded, painted and re-assembly is in progress. I was just hoping the colour coding on the harnesses was the same from year to year. Splicing and soldering wires is easy as long as blue goes to blue and green to green!!!! w00t.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 18 2007, 07:25 PM) *

I was just hoping the colour coding on the harnesses was the same from year to year. Splicing and soldering wires is easy as long as blue goes to blue and green to green!!!! w00t.gif

wires are different over the years. even in the rear ....

please don't splice ... i got a complete harness in near perfect shape from EASY for $100. they even took it out of the donor car for me, didn't have to get my hands dirty ...

look for the classic thread on how to remove & install a main harness ...
shades.gif Andy
orange914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 9 2007, 04:26 PM) *

ive got a complete 71 still in the car im parting. let me know if your still l@@king

i think i still have that 71 uncut body harness $100 shipped
tracks914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Nov 19 2007, 03:10 PM) *

i think i still have that 71 uncut body harness $100 shipped

Thanks but I have a great '71 but I need a good '73.

BTW Andy What if I was switching to carbs?? I was thinking of going with a 2256? Raby engine in this car and don't know if I really need all those wires??????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.