Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dolly_dagger
im new here, so please forgive me if i put this in the wrong spot.

a friend of mine is selling his mothers 914, and its pretty much gonna be a restoration car. he said the main problem with it is the engine. not really knowing much about the 914, how hard is it, and how much would it cost, just to get a reliable engine? i just started talking to him, so i don't know if the engine rolls over when he starts it or not. im assuming not. im not too sure on the year, but i think its a 73. I also don't need an engine that goes 123213211miles an hour(or kilometers depending on where your from wink.gif), just one that works.

thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any replies

Dan
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
Bleyseng
good used 1.7's maybe $750
good used 2.0L maybe $1200-2000
a McMark rebuilt 2.1L-$5000
dolly_dagger
thank you for the reply. since im not really going for performance, as of now, i think a 1.7 should be good.
thanks again
dan
SGB
Thats the cost for the engine. An old-style VW shop will do the swap for somewhere between $500 and $1000 probably.
dolly_dagger
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 5 2007, 06:05 PM) *

Thats the cost for the engine. An old-style VW shop will do the swap for somewhere between $500 and $1000 probably.

sweet thanks. i was reading a thing on pelican parts on how to take out the 914 engine by yourself, but it still sounds like a pain in the ass. thats a nice tip to know. thanks
Dan
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dolly_dagger @ Feb 6 2007, 02:00 PM) *

sweet thanks. i was reading a thing on pelican parts on how to take out the 914 engine by yourself, but it still sounds like a pain in the ass. thats a nice tip to know. thanks
Dan

Not such a pain, a set of tools, a floor jack and some jackstands and your set.

A friend to help is always cool but I have done this by myself many times.

Besides being fun its always nice to say "I did it myself". Have Fun.

By the way...Welcome to the club.
mrhurtalot
are those mcmarks engines any good?

i was thinking about getting one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.