Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Suspension Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I recently replaced my rear shocks/springs with Bils and 140lb springs. When I took it apart, there was no rubber bumper or snubber at the top of the shock under the spring "hat". Do I need that part or should the 140's keep me from bottoming? I also reused the OEM spring perch instead of the supplied Bilstein perch, is that an issue?

Kev
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 2 2007, 08:54 AM) *

I recently replaced my rear shocks/springs with Bils and 140lb springs. When I took it apart, there was no rubber bumper or snubber at the top of the shock under the spring "hat". Do I need that part or should the 140's keep me from bottoming? I also reused the OEM spring perch instead of the supplied Bilstein perch, is that an issue?

Kev

Use the adjustable bilstein perch and you do not need the shock damper because the bilsteins are dual action and do not bottom out.
kconway
Thanks Doc!
Kev
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 2 2007, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 2 2007, 08:54 AM) *

Kev

Use the adjustable bilstein perch and you do not need the shock damper because the bilsteins are dual action and do not bottom out.

brer
i've bottomed out my right side Bil a couple times.

huh.gif
groot
Could somebody circle the internal bumpstop in this picture of a Bilstein Monotube?
Click to view attachment

Or.... does somebody have a cutaway picture that shows the internal bump stop?

I've never seen one, but I know they exist, certainly not in every damper.

BTW.....What does "dual action" mean?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.