Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victoracers unshaved....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
I have the opportunity to pick up (4) brand new Victoracers 245/45/17's for free. They are unshaved and unheatcycled. HC is not a problem but how about the unshaved business? I've only gotten shaved Vracers for the Spec Boxster so far. Would these still be good if I take care in scrubbing them in? I was thinking I could use these for Doris' tires this year and keep the V710's for me....
happy11.gif

Of course these are the front tire sizes, but effectively I get 2 sets of tires for the price of one.

Any ideas on how to make these work?

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Feb 2 2007, 03:46 PM) *

Any ideas on how to make these work?

free is a pretty good price. i'd say either just run 'em at 8/10th until they're down to were they should be or see if you can find someone who can shave them down for 'ya ...

i'm not sure how many heatcycles it would take to get them down, hopefully not too many ...

how much difference in material are we talking here?
idea.gif Andy
DanT
Bill, get them and let Doris heat cycle them for you and let her wear down the first 2/32. At her learning pace she will never be able to tell the difference. Or take them to an AX and run them for 1/2 the day and then put them away for awhile... smile.gif
Free is always good....did you run across any 205s biggrin.gif
Series9
Are you kidding? I'll take 'em if you don't.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 2 2007, 05:07 PM) *

Bill, get them and let Doris heat cycle them for you and let her wear down the first 2/32. At her learning pace she will never be able to tell the difference. Or take them to an AX and run them for 1/2 the day and then put them away for awhile... smile.gif

Should I then buy a matching set of unshaved rear tires? The problem here is that I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to switch tires for Doris or I unless it's for timed runs. But I'm also thinking of NOT running the time trial series and only letting Doris run them to save wear and tear on the car. Since I have Amanda's wedding to go to I've decided to skip the Infineon event and I'm missing TT#2 due to Doris' graduation for her MBA. So I'm going to have a hard time pointing out enough to win a class.

Doris can compete in Ladies and probably win with only 3 events. I can't. So I can use the money on other open track events such as my NASA licensing.

I didn't find a stash of lost 205's yet.

Bill P.
DanT
If you are planning on Doris being the only one to run for times. I would get her some unshaved rears to match the fronts and let her go at it. You will find very little difference especially at a course like TH or BW.
You would feel the difference at Sears or Laguna.

After a couple of sessions there wont be much difference anyway.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Feb 2 2007, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 2 2007, 05:07 PM) *

Should I then buy a matching set of unshaved rear tires? The problem here is that I'm a lazy bastard and I don't want to switch tires for Doris or I unless it's for timed runs. But I'm also thinking of NOT running the time trial series and only letting Doris run them to save wear and tear on the car. Since I have Amanda's wedding to go to I've decided to skip the Infineon event and I'm missing TT#2 due to Doris' graduation for her MBA. So I'm going to have a hard time pointing out enough to win a class.

Doris can compete in Ladies and probably win with only 3 events. I can't. So I can use the money on other open track events such as my NASA licensing.

I didn't find a stash of lost 205's yet.

Bill P.

I agree with Dan as one would think that the brand new Victoracers (unshaved) would be safe (most important) as well as effective for Doris.

But before you let her out why don't you run them at a track day, at a known venue just to see how your times vary from previous runs. Of course it won't be exact science given the difference in (rear) tire sizes, but it will be an interesting base line.

And if the unshaved tires are dramatically slower or don't handle, as you'd like at speed, then swap them out.
Crazyhippy
Have them shaved....

Much easier if they've never been run, most places wont shave used tires, as there is sand and crap in the tires that ruins the cutting heads.

sww914
I've been running unshaved victoracers for years, heat cycled. I shave them down on the track during the practice sessions and then they're ready when it's time.
If I could afford it, I'd just use Hoosiers, but I run what I can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.