Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm so dizzy....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sportlicherFahrer
So my dizzy decided to finally wear out. Got another one to put in, and it misfires somethin awful. Thinking it may be a bad coil, as it was hooked up backwards for a few weeks but still working. I switched the wires back on the coil, put my old dizzy back in, and now it has NO power. The other dizzy I have now is really nice, has good FI points, sweet bushings, and seems to be ok. Kinda wondering about the centrifugal advance though. Are the parts in there supposed to make a little noise from moving around? Or should they be tight and in place?

Workin with a VW# 039 905 205 dizzy.

HELP!!!!!!! headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
uh... did you time it?
sportlicherFahrer
lol. yes. Im not that new Aaron......
Aaron Cox
ok.. just checking the basics LOL. too retarded would have no power but still run....

sorry smile.gif

AA
sportlicherFahrer
hey, its cool. The car might not be retarded, but the driver...........that may be another story. WTF IS THE BEER!
messix
you shouldn't hear ant rattling or noise.
sportlicherFahrer
kinda what i was thinkin troy. wasnt sure though. both dizzies do it
messix
yer in trouble then . call me tomorrow.
sportlicherFahrer
UPDATE: I have a new coil in the car now(bosch blue). I put all the good parts into the better dizzy. I static timed the motor to 0 and the rotor lines up with the mark on the dizzy. I am getting spark, however it looks weak. I am getting fuel. I can smell it in the exhaust. Car cranks, and sounds like it doesnt wanna fire. Not even trying. I am stumped! I have looked over everything 2-3 times and it all looks good. All the hoses are hooked up, all connections are tight. confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Feb 3 2007, 04:29 PM) *

UPDATE: I have a new coil in the car now(bosch blue). I put all the good parts into the better dizzy. I static timed the motor to 0 and the rotor lines up with the mark on the dizzy. I am getting spark, however it looks weak. I am getting fuel. I can smell it in the exhaust. Car cranks, and sounds like it doesnt wanna fire. Not even trying. I am stumped! I have looked over everything 2-3 times and it all looks good. All the hoses are hooked up, all connections are tight. confused24.gif

you might need to charge the battery to get the cranking voltage up over 10.5v.
alpha434
Points?

If the gap isn't good, then your coil won't have time to recharge for a good spark.

I had this point set in my car. Bought it brand new, and installed it myself. I found out almost a year later that the point block was cracked! It had been for a long time when it finally gave up, and would no longer fire the car.
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 3 2007, 05:27 PM) *

Points?

If the gap isn't good, then your coil won't have time to recharge for a good spark.

I had this point set in my car. Bought it brand new, and installed it myself. I found out almost a year later that the point block was cracked! It had been for a long time when it finally gave up, and would no longer fire the car.

He was running a brand new Petronix unit. But put in brand new points and condenser and new plugs this evening thinking maybe the Petronix isn't allowing as strong a spark as it should. (He's really anal about checking new equipment so I'm sure they're good.) He forgot to mention that last night he didn't get the dizzy pushed all the way in before cranking it. Let off a nice backfire, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the police for a 'shooting' that was the sound equivalent of my M38. He has fuel and spark. So my guess is it's something timing related. Ignition timing or fuel injection timing.

Let's try and get him up and running again guys. It's his only vehicle and he's been slaving out in the rain all day trying to get her going again. He starts a new job on tuesday so he really needs her back in service.
McMark
Have you used a timing light? Using the mark on the dizzy only works if your drive gear is installed correctly.
KaptKaos
You sure the spark plug cables are plugged in the right order? I know you're not new, but when in doubt, start from the bottom.
sportlicherFahrer
SO.... I figured out that I was looking at the wrong mark on the fan for TDC#1. After I found the correct mark, she started nicely. Go figure! Now the car runs better than ever, due to the nice tight dizzy that is in her now. Thank you for all the help guys! It turns out that I hadnt had enough beer to stumble across my mistake..... beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Feb 4 2007, 11:03 PM) *

SO.... I figured out that I was looking at the wrong mark on the fan for TDC#1. After I found the correct mark, she started nicely. Go figure! Now the car runs better than ever, due to the nice tight dizzy that is in her now. Thank you for all the help guys! It turns out that I hadnt had enough beer to stumble across my mistake..... beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

told ya you were retarded smile.gif (timing that is)

used a light to verify correct?
sportlicherFahrer
I wasnt retarded, I was advanced! biggrin.gif I then pulled the vac lines for the dizzy and set it up at 27 full advance, tightened her down, and checked again. We need a "purrs like a kitten" smiley...... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.