Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This I cannot tolerate!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I like to make my car lighter and somewhat more modern and the 914 siloutte is beautifull and the over all design next to perfect. It is a great platform for making a great sport/super car which handels very well. As for these modifications, they are just...........SPEAK BRETHERN!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...075873907QQrdZ1
r_towle
The person has talent, lots of 014 stuff from what I can see, and I like the rear body work (just a littel bit)
The front needs work.

Overall, I would go drive by and look closer...its a removable body on what appears to be a decent frame setup...

Rich
nomore9one4
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 3 2007, 06:43 AM) *

The person has talent, lots of 014 stuff from what I can see, and I like the rear body work (just a littel bit)
The front needs work.

Overall, I would go drive by and look closer...its a removable body on what appears to be a decent frame setup...

Rich

agree.gif
BIGKAT_83
agree.gif There is alot of out of the box thinking. If you expand the picture of the car on the rotissere it looks like it has a front wheel drive engine and transaxle conversion.

Look at the rotissere the pivot is made from a rear swingarm and wheel bearing and hub. It still has the rotor mounted. I wonder if he is using the parking brakes to hold the car in position another damn good idea.

A hell of alot of work on these pages. I'd like to see more.....

Bob
nomore9one4
If you want to rip something apart..Hows this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-...077644909QQrdZ1
jd74914
It says in the add that it had a Ford v6 with a 901, but in the picture it sure looks like a v8 . . . it seems like it has too many valves laugh.gif ?

EDIT: I see . . . examples, very nice, I do think the sub frame on the engine tranny seems a little overboard.

IPB Image

It looks like he has experimented with two engine layouts . . . since its definitely mounted longitudinally in the bay in the "finished pictures," but I agree with Bob in that it looks like a transversal mounting on the rotisserie.

I wish I was closer to take a look, the crafsmanship seems very good

IPB Image
John
If you really read the ad, it is most misleading.

The ad says V6 not V8, some of the pics of the engine are (in my opinion) a V8.

The pics seem to swap between 2 cars that he has currently fuched cut up.

As far as the bodywork goes, it appears that you should be able to hang just about anything on it.

Some things look interesting. I am amazed at the car on the rotissorie with most mechanicals installed. That is one beefy chasss (and rotssore).

I am postve that those pics are of at least two different cars.
degreeoff
I believe he is "showing " the other conversions he has done.....AKA V8....looks as though he has talent....just too many things going on...hmmm I know a guy like that.....:-)

heres the engine me thinks....
Click to view attachment
John
I believe he is "showing " the other conversions he has done.....AKA V8....looks as though he has talent....just too many things going on...hmmm I know a guy like that.....:-)

I agree.

But those two pics above clearly show v8 engines. (one sitting in engine bay, and one attached to a 915 or 930 trans)
nomore9one4
He probably just has the pictures mixed up. driving.gif
URY914
Why the headers that look like spider legs? Can't you buy a set that fit already?
Rand
Go easy gang, he is not being misleading about the motor. He makes it clear in the ad that it is a v6 car but "if you are curious about the installation of a v8 I have included some photos of a few v8 projects i've done"
IronHillRestorations
I like the rear clip treatment, excluding the spoiler. Just my .02
cooltimes
This is what he says about the car he is selling and the V8. It's in his ad.
I think he has talent. Lots of car are weird to others. Remember. We own 914's.

"THIS CAR IS 70% FINISHED. I would like everyone who is reading this to know that this car is still a work in progress, I am selling it to finish my turbo miata and 914/v8 turbo. if this car was finished i would not be asking so little for it. as is I have 25,000$ into it.

I have a short list of things that will need finished that the buyer should be aware of. and that I intend to include the finished mechanical construction into the price of the car. what is needed and what I do not have the time for is all the cleaning, grinding down welds, looming the electrical, small exhaust leaks, upolstry, mislanious body work, and paint inside and out.

I will be very flexable with the price to the person who I feel will finish the car right...

if you are curious about the installation of a v8 I have included some photos of a few v8 projects i've done, and would advise to anyone whos building a 914 of racing caliber to invest in the installation of one. the v6 is great and would put a smile on anyone face who drove it. but ask a shelby cobra owner what its like to stab the throttle on a v8 under the hood of a 2200 lbs car."

Andyrew
Hmm... That looks like it would look nice next to mine..
JPB
These answers prove once again the quality of the people that are posting here regularily and thoughfully. I figured there was enough Ford stuff to stir up the masses. Apparently not. happy11.gif

Again the good 914 people prevail beer.gif
Pat Garvey
I guess you'd call it a "Porstangvette". Rear looks nice, though I'd trash the spoiler. Front end is mess, almost like 2 different designers involved. For the most part, the craftsmanship is really nice, though.

Lotsa money invested in something that, I think, is worthless. Misdirected purpose?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(faux916 @ Feb 3 2007, 10:46 AM) *

If you want to rip something apart..Hows this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-...077644909QQrdZ1

Hey look everyone - I sat a motor on the ground inside a 914. Must be something special, huh. Nothing's connected, no axles or anything else, but YOU should buy it....right?

One of the worst abominations I've seen! LTBB
rick 918-S
QUOTE(faux916 @ Feb 3 2007, 06:46 AM) *

The front needs work.

Rich

agree.gif

agree.gif With some work the rear doesn't make me vomit. The front could be scraped along with that tiny 6 motor.
Mueller

The front needs work.

Rich

he might have some talent, but no common sense

This engine screams!! (never installed a tach, but everyone thinks Im shifting at 8000 rpm)

Who the hell builds an engine and sprouts off what it has in it yet is not running a Tach???

i do like the german Ford Capri V6 motors, neat little 60° engines.....

McMark
This rotisserie is cool! He used trailing arms as the pivot. That's really freakin' cool. Most rotisseries are a pain to rotate. I bet that one is SMOOTH!
cooltimes
That garage is huge. The rear flairs are unique too. Looking back at them from the front end, this is saying he knows his body skills very well. Those are works of art to me. The hood that opens like that is puzzling to me but I would bet he doesn't give a hoot whether I like it or what I see as strange. I know it wouldn't matter much to me what someone else thought beyond the buyer. The hood looks like he used a computer to edit the exact shape of the hood out.
I have never seen tires that wide on the front end of a 914 either even though the lines are not exactly cloning of the 914 body or engine. The whole vehicle appears totally modified so I think it's a hand built racer, one of a kind. He is the master of his art and personally, I agree with Kwales (says on down below this edit) 1000%.
soloracer
I don't think it looks too bad actually. Reminds me of the old Beach Boys Racing kits. I really like the tube frame front end. I bet that his reserve is $10k plus and that the car won't reach it's reserve price.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 3 2007, 02:55 PM) *

Hmm... That looks like it would look nice next to mine..

Hey Andrew, Fresno's only a couple of exits down from Modesto! laugh.gif

Large shop, 914 modifier...

Looks like a 935 nose on a 914

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Cough..

Couple of exits??

Its an hour and 40 mins of exits!!!!!

Though.. Im tempted to go downt there...HECK if there was no reserve, I would bid on the stupid car!! (parts car.. HAHAHA)
Andyrew
Oh ya, thats a popular body kit.. Beach boys like soloracer said.. Im guessing he has the molds to them, IIRC SOMEONE told me someone in CA had the molds to them.
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(JPB @ Feb 3 2007, 06:38 AM) *

I like to make my car lighter and somewhat more modern and the 914 siloutte is beautifull and the over all design next to perfect. It is a great platform for making a great sport/super car which handels very well. As for these modifications, they are just...........SPEAK BRETHERN!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...075873907QQrdZ1

JohnB: He's from California, for heaven's sake, cut him some slack. Obviously a hard worker, too. It's only one out of tens of thousands of roadable 914s. As the Chinese said: Let a hundred flowers bloom!
IronHillRestorations
I say the more car that get chopped up like that (good job, bad job, great job, whatever) the better it is for our nice pristine ones! Whatever makes you happy!
sean_v8_914
I wonder if this is Gene of Red Dawg Racing. teh V8 sub frame in teh pic is from him
cooltimes
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 4 2007, 10:01 AM) *

I wonder if this is Gene of Red Dawg Racing. teh V8 sub frame in teh pic is from him

Matthew Crow?er listed as the seller
wbergtho
I was thinking the same thing. I have visited their "shop" in Tehachepi and have mixed feelings about their work. Some of which is innovative & interesting...some of which gives me a head ache to look at.

jimkelly
jpb -you are the man for pointing this one out : )

all i can say is i hope it was not a pristine 914 he ct up to make this customs : )

everyone has their own style - but i stand firm - everyone should think like me : )

jim pb

beerchug.gif

--

QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 4 2007, 07:02 AM) *

I say the more car that get chopped up like that (good job, bad job, great job, whatever) the better it is for our nice pristine ones! Whatever makes you happy!

Katmanken
Unlike most of us, this guy is the real deal.

That is, somebody who gets off his ass and goes out and makes things happen. Judging the quality of his work on that chassis, I know I'm not there yet. Look at that custom front suspension, real racer stuff., and the custom welded up gas tank, WOW. He even designed up (and possibly made) a custom exhaust. That alone is a ton of work not to mention custom shifter linkages. Anybody notice the horizontal radiator? Nice idea, getting that to work will be hard but I bet he can pull it off.

As per the body shape, that is a race car. "Pretty" just doesn't matter, getting the tires and other stuff under the 914 shell does. Looks like a pack it all under there and shape it to control the airflow across the car. Took a bit of work to figure out that an existing back end could be grafted onto a 914 to cover his huge wheels and engine. Bet if he finished it, he would change the body around to be as efficient as the chassis.

He is the kind of guy I would like to know. Have a problem or want to try something trick, he probably has done it or has an opinion on a good way to go. If I was him and read this thread, I wouldn't come back.

Kensittingonhisassandnotmakingthingsbutappreciatingtheskillandworkofothers
army dude
agree.gif

I do appreciate people who have the skill, knowledge, time, money and resources to try anything out of the norm. Our cars are not normal, we are not normal but, who are we to judge an idea if we don't like it. That is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Give the guy credit for DOING and not just dreaming. I am impressed with the level of craftsmen we have here and EVERYBODY has something valuable to add. And when I start doing my welding, cutting and painting I know I will be judged by it, but ya know what, I am havin a ball!!

My 2 cents worth, plus shipping

Ian in Iraq...Again
sean_v8_914
I dont think anyone has been particularly harsh with their comments here, just opinionated.

I agree with kwales about the real deal comment. some guys talk and some guys DO. this guy is inovative and he puts his inspiration into motion. I have little respect for people that are quick to critisize if they dont have the experience to back up their trash talk. I need a name for this...keyboard customizers. its like a 4 cyl 914 turbo...you cant do that.
BigD9146gt
To be 100% honest, I'm Porsche snob. Anything but the original VW or Porsche engines does nothing for me. But I gotta hand it to this guy, this is bad-ass. If your going to modify one of these cars, hell ya. This thing rocks! Well done, thats all I gotta say.
jd74914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 4 2007, 12:31 AM) *

i do like the german Ford Capri V6 motors, neat little 60° engines.....

agree.gif IMHO that was one of Ford's best engines. It was a very cool powerplant . . . actually, I like the whole Capri. The whole car was pretty revolutionary IMHO.

Besides the little hijack, it would seem that this guy has some serious skills. I especially like the front end tube design. I would really liek to see more pictures of his designs.

I'm still wondering why he kept it trailing arm in the back though? I would have gone double a-arm if I was going to a semi-tube like he did.
sean_v8_914
I dropped him a link
mrdezyne
Bodywork is definitely a Red Dawg kit with slight modifications. Not sure if they are still in production but its a nice design...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.