Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: WOOHOOO! Did my taxes...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Good old Turbo Tax and I sat down last night and did my taxes, and it turns out I'm getting a refund of around $4,600!! boldblue.gif

A good share of that is going to be spent on the car! A couple of finishing touches and then the big expense of putting A/C in!

Anyone else feeling the love from the IRS?

Doug
nomore9one4
You= beer.gif
Me= headbang.gif
IRS= smilie_pokal.gif

My turbo tax seems to be on jackstands!
dagdal1967
QUOTE(faux916 @ Feb 3 2007, 07:26 AM) *

You= beer.gif
Me= headbang.gif
IRS= smilie_pokal.gif

My turbo tax seems to be on jackstands!

Ugh .. Hope that they're not sheeplove.gif you too hard!

Paying is stromberg.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Feb 3 2007, 10:20 AM) *

Good old Turbo Tax and I sat down last night and did my taxes, and it turns out I'm getting a refund of around $4,600!! boldblue.gif

A good share of that is going to be spent on the car! A couple of finishing touches and then the big expense of putting A/C in!

Doug

Umm, just why did you let Uncle Sugar use nearly $400/month of your money for the last year? Patriot?

Sorry, the accountant in me will never let go. Enjoy the windfall!

I OWE the good uncle $4! That's planning baby. No waste!
So.Cal.914
Around my house IRS stands for INSERT in RECTUM and SCREAM.
rhcb914
Cool you'll have some bucks to spend on the car.

Don't mean to rain on your parade butyou just gave the govt a $4600 interest free loan. I typically try to keep my refunds to a minimum.
dagdal1967
Colour me crazy, but I've never been bothered by giving Uncle Sam the interest free loan. I don't feel the govt is screwing me, and the extra $380 a month would be spent on day to day CRAP instead of on the car.

Ok I'm wierd... So what!
vertigo
I try to get my taxes where I owe just a bit. They take just too damn much already, everyday you do anything.
ArtechnikA
As a taxpayer I appreciate you generously lending the government this cash at zero interest all year...
70Sixter
QUOTE(vertigo @ Feb 4 2007, 07:37 AM) *

I try to get my taxes where I owe just a bit. They take just too damn much already, everyday you do anything.

agree.gif
snflupigus
i'm "exempt" for the 1st 2 months this year... i've calculated that by doing that i get my "refund" now instead of at the end of the year, i shouldnt have to pay anything extra.
VaccaRabite
I did my taxes yesterday. The first time that Erin and I filed together. Wow, she really does make twice what I make. sad.gif

Anyhow, we had a huge refund this year, mainly due to mortgage interest and the fact that we bought a prius before the tax credit decreased.

I had planned out state taxes about right though, we owed a little bit for them.
I'd also rather owe a little then get money back. When it was just me doing taxes, my refund each year was rather small. This year, well, it was pretty shocking.

Zach
biosurfer1
I did a quick check on mine (this is before all the stock 1099's and other misc roll in) and it turns out I get exactly $0 back. Last year I didnt do any planning for that, actually sort of funny the way it worked out.

I graduated from college in may and started working full time in june. If I had worked part time all year, i would have gotten back a large refund. If I had worked full time all year, I would have owed large (single, no house, etc) but sine it was 50/50, I think thats why it averaged out to $0, just didnt think it would be that exact. After I factor in stock losses, write off college expenses, etc I should get a bit back.

i agree the optimum refund is $0 (or some believe owing as much as possible for the same reason) but it is nice to get a check from anyone, even if its your own money with no interest:)
BMXerror
I'm getting about 850 back from 'em this year. Not bad for a kid who makes 200 bucks a week at his part-ime job. And yes, it's going into the Porsche.... probably a Kerry Hunter exhaust and some GT Performance seats.
Mark D.
John
This one always stirthepot.gif stromberg.gif .

My first year out of college where I started working in September full time, I received more money back than I had paid in.

My dad was pissed. He was so mad that he redid my taxes by hand just to prove to himself that I was right.

Well, those days are over, but kids, a wife and a mortgage help to take a bite out of taxes. My wife and I usually owe less than $100
tdgray
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 3 2007, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Feb 3 2007, 10:20 AM) *

Doug

Umm, just why did you let Uncle Sugar use nearly $400/month of your money for the last year? Patriot?

Sorry, the accountant in me will never let go. Enjoy the windfall!

I OWE the good uncle $4! That's planning baby. No waste!

Damn skippy my man.

I just love that everyone thinks that they are getting "something from the government"

It's your money man... the IRS withholding tables are specifically configured to do this to people.... wake up guys. $4,600 at 5% interest = $230 in interest or lost spending power however you want to think about it.

I screwed up this year and took too much out of my bonus... I'm now getting $160.00 refunded and I hate it.
dagdal1967
QUOTE(tdgray @ Feb 6 2007, 05:42 AM) *

Damn skippy my man.

I just love that everyone thinks that they are getting "something from the government"

It's your money man... the IRS withholding tables are specifically configured to do this to people.... wake up guys. $4,600 at 5% interest = $230 in interest or lost spending power however you want to think about it.

I screwed up this year and took too much out of my bonus... I'm now getting $160.00 refunded and I hate it.

Oh, make no mistake.. I am not ignorant of the situation, nor do I believe that the Govt. is "giving" me anything. I know its my money and I know the "theory" that at 5% I could have had an Extra 0.17% of my annual income. Big Whoop!

But the theory doesn't hold water. The money that Uncle Sam was borrowing from me would not have gone into savings, but would have been spent on normal day to day items, to the end that I would never even have noticed the money.

I'm happy enough to let Uncle Sam use the money, and for me it's like a "christmas club" where money goes in that I forget about all year until I get that nice cheque at the beginning of the year to use to make myself happy.

I could easily adjust my deductions, etc to "fix" what some of you consider a problem, but to me it's a choice.

Nuff said.

dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.