Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hockey History in the making
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
The Edmonton Oilers will play the Montreal Canadians tonight in Commonwealth Stadium Edmonton in front of 58,000 fans in the first ever OUTSIDE NHL game. Televised on CBC. Fortunately, I live in a part of the USA that gets CBC. Pre-game activities features a game of Edmonton Oiler ALL-Stars vs. Montreal Canadian All-Stars. Quite a line-up!!! aktion035.gif
seanery
there is an allstar old-guy edmonton vs montreal game on right now on HDNET outside.
Curvie Roadlover
That's it!
GWN7
All that is, is a TV show about a bunch of rich guys doing what kids do every night of the winter up in the Northern climate. Bet you won't see any of them out shoveling the snow off the ice for an hour before they can play a game.

Newspaper here said they are importing snow to spread around the rink to make it look more like winter for the viewing audience.

$5 on Edmonton
seanery
it looks like the old guys are having fun, edomton by 1
krk
Ha. I grew up shovelling the snow of the ice to play. It warmed you up. (but, I will point out that when we moved to artificial ice, we stopped all that crap, and I was perfectly fine with that!)

Montreal was _it_ for me in those days. Buddy's entire family was Chicago. Very difficult to watch and not shout out (!) as we kicked blackhawk butt.

We know who will take this one.

kim.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 22 2003, 02:12 PM)
All that is, is a TV show about a bunch of rich guys doing what kids do every night of the winter up in the Northern climate. Bet you won't see any of them out shoveling the snow off the ice for an hour before they can play a game.

Newspaper here said they are importing snow to spread around the rink to make it look more like winter for the viewing audience.

$5 on Edmonton

Kids in the northern climates don't share the ice with names like Gretzky, LeFleur, Messier, Fuhr, Coffey, Kurri, etc, etc every night! And by the way, the rich guys DID shovel off the ice between periods! Not a hockey fan, Bruce? confused24.gif
GWN7
I saw the two guys shoveling, while the rest stood around. Liked Fleur and Randford doing headstands. Don't watch much hockey since the Jets left town. When I played at the local CC level my team was the Blackhawks (they lost almost every game that year). sad.gif

The game looked like everyone had fun.
seanery
they say it's -20 right now! is that F or C ?
Curvie Roadlover
"C"
krk
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 22 2003, 03:38 PM)
they say it's -20 right now! is that F or C ?

Not sure where you are looking. Here's what's happening in Edmonchuck. (obref)

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/CAXX0126_f.html

kim.
seanery
what is that in F ?
seanery
OOOHHH that's still cold, looks like about -2 F
krk
Dude, when you hit -20, the scale starts to get uninteresting. They meet at -40. The closer you get, it's less likely that it's P-car weather.

Oh, it gets worse with wind. And colder in Manitoba. (some kind of NEP rule) GWN7 can update you if you are in doubt. laugh.gif

kim.
seanery
the game was delayed for like a half hour cause the ice was too cold! HAHA!
seanery
did anyone else lose their feed?
GWN7
I wonder if the reason for the game delay was so they could pry the fans frozen corpses out of the stands. laugh.gif

The high tec ceramic blades on the skates don't like to be too cold either cool.gif

It is interesting to watch the uncontroled condishions that the outdoor rink has created. Rebounds, stiff gloves, extra bounce the puck has..... smile.gif Guess it beats hockey in Florida where they had to freeze puddles of water with CO2 extinguishes smile.gif
seanery
4-3 Montreal with 3 minutes left.
Curvie Roadlover
Seanery,
Did your feed include "Coach's Corner" with Don Cherry in between periods? Or is he exclusively a CBC phenomenon.
GWN7
What was the final score (fell asleep on the couch)?

Best hockey interview I ever saw was with Gordy Howe. The interviewer asked him if he was playing hockey now, how many goals would he score in a game. Gordy answered "well I hope 1 or 2" The interviewer said he thought Gordy should be able to score 4-5. Gordy answered "well I am 72 now" laugh.gif
Curvie Roadlover
I was at the Redwings game here last wednesday. Gordy was there signing autographs. He looked about 50 tops!
Final: Habs 4 - Oilers 3
seanery
I had the CBC feed, in High Def. So, everything the canucks got, I got. No offense to the canucks for saying canucks. I know some canucks don't like the term, so I want them to know that I meant no disrespect for using the term canucks.
rick 918-S
I have this friend who skate boards. He told once his Dad is still pissed he doesn't play hockey. I looked at him all confused... We prononce his name like any american would. Richard right? Then it dawned on me... His dad has a thick French Canadian accent! It's REESHARD! (and he is related to the legend) Oh well you can still have you front teeth knocked out with out playing Hockey.. and he did.. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.