Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Latch Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mrhurtalot
headbang.gif headbang.gif
headbang.gif headbang.gif
so. i REALLY need to get into my rear trunk.

problem is, it wont open.

PO removed the lock and place an electric latch and put the cool porsche reflector on the back.

are there any alternative ways into the trunk? (access hole on the underside? lmao)
huh.gif

the wiring seems to be fine and all connections are fine. i even have the JWEST fuse panel with no blown fuses.

replaced the inline fuse, POP! about 3 fuses. and then nothing.

ANY IDEAS? headbang.gif headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Feb 3 2007, 01:58 PM) *

ANY IDEAS? headbang.gif headbang.gif

yepp, been there, done that ...

do a search here for a old thread. i used a (unfolded) metal coathanger, from the engine bay through one of the holes that hold the round plastic cups for the top-latch.

best done with a buddy that shines a flashlight through the second hole. it's usually quite dark in there when closed ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
If the solonoid still functions I would run wires directly to the battery, if its going

to work it will work with full volts/amps.

Allan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 3 2007, 02:05 PM) *

it's usually quite dark in there when closed ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

av-943.gif Ya think?
Engman
Try the two person method - one hits the switch while the other pushs down on the lid above the latch.

M
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Engman @ Feb 3 2007, 02:41 PM) *

Try the two person method - one hits the switch while the other pushs down on the lid above the latch.

M

Then order a mechanical rear hood latch. I have one and it works great. Someone here sells them.
Cheers, Elliot
Joe Bob
I hate those electric solenoids....you can drill a small hole in the reflector and use a straightened coat hanger to trip the latch.
boxstr
Remove the engine lid cover, two ten mm bolts, then you can get intot eh area much easier.
I have remvoved, or loosened the two bolts that hold the rear deck lid to teh hinges, you can then pry it up to gain a little more room to acces the rear trunk arera.
I then used a very long extension and a ten MM socket and removed the two bolts which secure the latch which is bolted to the rear tailight panel.
Oh after you are done, you might want to install a fail safe method to access the rear trunk that is not dependent on the electric solenoid.
Just a thought.
CCLINTRUNKMONKEY
mrhurtalot
yeah i had a failsafe on my list of things to do when i get money.....

thanks alot. maybe my girlfriend wont be in trouble anymore.

she left a 400 dollar coat in there. (gift) and her parents are MAD.

its been in there like 3 months too. haha.

i think the solenoid might be fooked.

but thanksa again guys. i appreciate everything i get from here.

(p.s. same topic posted at 914C*** before i posted here. and only got one reply.... compared to what, 9?. pff. im glad i chose to stay here.)
mrhurtalot
ugh... two hours of work. and nothing...

the hanger doesnt work because the lever needs to be pushed down. hard.

im getting so frustrated. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif mad.gif blink.gif confused24.gif

i have thought about busting out one of the tail lights. and dremeling sawzall-smiley.gif my way into the trunk.
chair.gif

anyone got a source for tail lights?

or even better. another suggestion?

SirAndy
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Feb 3 2007, 06:42 PM) *

aha, yes, the solenoid. hanger works on the stock latch.

as mentioned above, put a bunch of extensions together and try to undo the bolts that hold the latch to the body.

10mm socket, if still stock ...
smash.gif Andy
neo914-6
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Feb 3 2007, 06:42 PM) *

ugh... two hours of work. and nothing...

im getting so frustrated. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif mad.gif blink.gif confused24.gif

i have thought about busting out one of the tail lights. and dremeling sawzall-smiley.gif my way into the trunk.
chair.gif

anyone got a source for tail lights?

or even better. another suggestion?

If you can get to the 4 tail light housing nuts (with a long extension), remove them and the lens nuts, and then push out the housing for your access...
Joe Bob
Dude....just yank that fucking reflector off, it's glued onto what three, four tabs....stick a screwdriver in the exposed keyhole and pop the hood.....geez, don't make it a soap opera.....
mrhurtalot
yeah well once again mikez.... PO decided to BOLT the reflector on.

im gonna try the ext. thing tommorrow.!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 3 2007, 10:52 PM) *

Dude....just yank that fucking reflector off, it's glued onto what three, four tabs....stick a screwdriver in the exposed keyhole and pop the hood.....geez, don't make it a soap opera.....
smilie_pokal.gif drunk.gif
boxstr
Hey don't go bustin anything up, we want drama and something to root for. What time do we start in the morning??
CCLINASTHESOCKETTURNS
mrhurtalot
ummm i was thinking like evening. after the OU OSU womens game.. and a trip to the store for those extentions. i only got like 4.
McMark
Use the 'uber' long extension to undo these two nuts....
Joe Bob
Small one inch hole saw...right thru the reflector....or two taps from a .45 ACP.....

BTW, the tabs that ARE bolted on to the back of the CAR, are GLUED to the reflector....TRUST me, rip the MOFO off....BTDT, got the tee shirt to prove it....
McMark
If you only have a large one inch hole saw, you can make it work. av-943.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 3 2007, 11:18 PM) *

If you only have a large one inch hole saw, you can make it work. av-943.gif

If you have a one inch tool....go ahead..... sheeplove.gif
Dr. Roger
i was thinking of a hole saw through the trunk floor.... easily put-back-able.
my $.02.

=-)
Jeffs9146
Just drill a small hole in the floor of the trunk right below the release and use a coat hanger to pull the lever down!

Jeff
Joe Bob
20 years ago.....yeah I know, some of you twits were shitting in yer diapers 20 years ago....my neighbor had the same problem.

I told him those solenoids suck and he was gonna get stuck....moron also put the switch in the dash.....the first time I saw his wife pushing down on the hood while he hit the switch...I chuckled.....

I told him again....put the switch UNDER the license plate AND put a cable release for the time WHEN it fails....he ignored me.....maybe because his wife thought I was hot and lusted after me.....hey....when I was thin, I was a Greek God......now I'm just another goddamned greek....anyways....tip the waitress, try the prime rib....

Moving right along...he comes crying when the stoopid solenoid finally gave up....the wife had left him by that time....what a loser....anyways...I went over, got a flexy putty in between the reflector and the bumper and popped that POS cut down 911 poser reflector off and popped the hood.....took less time than it did to type this.....
Eric_Shea
Did you ever nail his wife? confused24.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 4 2007, 10:07 AM) *

Did you ever nail his wife? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
scotty b
Sell the car, take the proceeds and buy the g/f a new coat and a used Miata with the rest. hide.gif
boxstr
Get off your ass and out in the garage and get the trunk open, it should only take 30 minutes for a first timer.
The womens basketball game you can read about in the paper the next day.
CCLINHOLESAW
Joe Bob
Ohhhhh, tuff room.....next thing someone will suggest that he lose his "Man Card".....
Eric_Shea
Ohhhhh, tuff room.....next thing someone will suggest that he lose his "Man Card".....

I don't think you can lose your man card for having goofy-ass accessories on your car. Otherwise... we'd all be taking a collection for your "operation" w00t.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 4 2007, 11:57 AM) *

I don't think you can lose your man card for having goofy-ass accessories on your car. Otherwise... we'd all be taking a collection for your "operation" w00t.gif

Ohh that hurt..... sheeplove.gif

No collection needed. I don't need a handicap van nor am I in jail.....
Eric_Shea
wub.gif

lol3.gif
rjames
I can't believe the suggestions to destroy things in order to get the trunk open. No holes need to be drilled, nothing needs to be 'yanked off'. Just because some folks don't like reflectors is no reason to suggest destroying one. And why drill an unnecessary hole in your car?

Using a flashlight to enable you to see in the trunk, just use something rigid that's long enough and thin enough to enable you to insert it in the trunk from inside the engine bay and reach the mechanism. Then just press down on the latch while another person presses down on the trunk and then opens it. Voila.
This is easily done in a few minutes after a little trial and error.
boxstr
Robert, Mrhurtalot who posted this thead is watching womens college basketball on television. We have all made sane and some insane suggestions.
We are all just waiting to see which one he accepts and for the outcome.
But yours is a good idea as are some of the others.
CCLINTRUNKMONKEY
mrhurtalot
for future reference... i WENT TO THE GAME.

took the GF and had a nice day. followed by a bad evening...

I like the reflector. so eat me...haha

(any one else notice this at the bottom?
"Invision Power Board v9.1.4 © 2007 IPS, Inc.")

SGB
Felix had a reasonable suggestion as well about the four 10 mm nuts holding the tail light assembly on. Thats pretty much straight back from the top latch cup. Pushing down hard on the trunk lid while someone tries to push the solenoid release is realistic too.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Feb 4 2007, 11:41 PM) *

for future reference... i WENT TO THE GAME.

took the GF and had a nice day. followed by a bad evening...

I like the reflector. so eat me...haha

(any one else notice this at the bottom?
"Invision Power Board v9.1.4 © 2007 IPS, Inc.")

If ya got some...it wasn't ALL bad....
PinetreePorsche
Elliot has a great solution for later on. I want one too, for my 9014 rear. Anyone know where to get them-? Presumably a cable, w/ handle mounted either near the engine hatch pull, or inside the engine compartment. I was considering making my own, but if there's one on the market, I'll spend a litte money save my time and creativity for other projects. So, someone give us a source--or even a list of do-it-yourself parts-- and we'll be grateful.
wbergtho
Once you've successfully opened your rear trunk (with a crow bar?), install the stock button latch on the reflector. You'll need to elongate the actuation pin on the mechanism so it will still work. It's easy to do and I think it looks fine having a stupid hole and an OEM lock...that's right...a hole drilled into the reflector...smack dab in the middle. Then you won't be going through this absurd bullshit again!
Engman
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Feb 5 2007, 10:45 AM) *

Elliot has a great solution for later on. I want one too, for my 9014 rear. Anyone know where to get them-? Presumably a cable, w/ handle mounted either near the engine hatch pull, or inside the engine compartment. I was considering making my own, but if there's one on the market, I'll spend a litte money save my time and creativity for other projects. So, someone give us a source--or even a list of do-it-yourself parts-- and we'll be grateful.

that would be me - pm or email me - details in the member vendor section.

M
boxstr
JLO has a metal pull cord that secures through a hole in the acutuating arm at the bottom of the latch, it exits behind the bumper on the other side of the license plate, so all you do is pull it and the trunk monkey can escape.
CCLINPULLCHAIN
rjames
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 5 2007, 09:51 AM) *

JLO has a metal pull cord that secures through a hole in the acutuating arm at the bottom of the latch, it exits behind the bumper on the other side of the license plate, so all you do is pull it and the trunk monkey can escape.
CCLINPULLCHAIN

I used a brake cable for a bicycle to do the same thing. However, I have learned not to let the trunk monkey out unless abosultely necessary.
neo914-6
there's another piece of advise somewhere in the archives about insuring you get 12v to the solenoid if you continue to use it. IIRC, it's running the ground back instead of through the chassis...

I'd leave this job for women's beach volleyball laugh.gif
banger
Why not drill a 1/8-1/4" hole in the reflector where the old lock used to be. Then maybe you can push the release tab for the lock with a coat hanger, nail or whatever. The hole shouldn't be too noticeable, and you wont ruin the reflector.
wbergtho
Why not drill a 1/8-1/4" hole in the reflector where the old lock used to be. Then maybe you can push the release tab for the lock with a coat hanger, nail or whatever. The hole shouldn't be too noticeable, and you wont ruin the reflector.

Then how do you keep it locked??
scotty b
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 5 2007, 04:26 PM) *

Then how do you keep it locked??

reverie
Man, this is one crazy thread. smile.gif
mrhurtalot
IPB Image

^AFTERMATH

geezus.

IPB Image
"the uber wrench" LMAO

and my garage floor after...
IPB Image

heres the story...

i bought some ext. from wally world. it was working. i even duct taped them all together but i got one bolt out half way and THE WHOLE DAMN THING FELL A FUCKING PART.

so i give up on that. and start to mess with the wiring again.

Lo and Behold.

IT LIGHTS ON FIRE!! confused24.gif

so i run around to the back of the car.
and i PUNCH the tail light out. ( slap.gif OUCH_)
then iproceed to DREMEL THE HECK out of it. just in time to see the last of the wires to the latch ?actuator? burn up.

good thing is i got the trunk open.

.. clap56.gif

suggestions for nice looking tail lights?

DR914 what do those "ITALIAN CLEAR" tail lights look like?
boxstr
That will teach you to go to a wom ens basketball game. biggrin.gif Soryy I couldn't resist. Well You gave it the good old college try. No shortage of extensions now.
If you need a tailight bucket I have few at CAMP 914.
CCLINTRUNKMONKEY
mrhurtalot
yeah i looked there... where are they?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.