Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: perplexing problem persists!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
75 1.8, it idles fine, but when I go to pull away from a stop I have to rev it over 3000rpm or it dies, over that it pulls strong (relatively speaking!) checked timing, have replaced all vacuum and fuel lines, sealed every vacuum connection, replaced fuel filter, air filter, filled it with new gas, (high octane).
anyone have and solve this problem? Thanks, MAtt
JPB
FI or carb? New problem on old system or new problem on new system?
r_towle
oil cap seal
oil breather gasket (box under oil cap...)

If that is leaking (they all leak) then below 3k sucks.

There is a gasket and I think an O ring in that cap, buy new only.

If that is ok, its valve adjustments (Ljet is not as reliant on the valves as Djet, but do it anyways to reduce any possible vacuum leaks in the valve train)

If it is still happening, you may need to test the Air Flow sensor
Easiest test is put on a good known one, see if the condition changes.
If so, the part is still available new, but test it first.
Even if you need to ship it to one of the club members with a good running 1.8, have them test yours to see if it makes the car run bad.

BUT,,,oil cap first.
Also, check the rubber hose that goes between the Air flow sensor and the intake plenum, that hose tends to crack in the inner part of the grooves that allow it to bend, typically on the bottom of the hose, and you cant see it till you take it out, and bend it with a flashlight shining inside.

Rich
mattp
it is a stock system, FI. Oil cap seems tight and the seals seem to be fine, any idea how to check? The oil box was tightened, it did seap some oil but since tighening it seems to be doing the trick. I replaced the "S" hose with a new one, checked it for cracks, none. I have tested all the vacum seals by squirting "quick start" at them. I am reluctant to do so with the oil, but I guess if thats the problem its worth an oil change by now!
I doubt it is valves because it just happend all of a sudden.
any further ideas? thanks, Matt
r_towle
oil cap,
take it off and look at the gasket, it cannot be brittle.
O-ring...gotta have one, lower down on the cap.
Its very very important to the system.

The hose I am speaking of is not the "S" hose.
Rather the large 2.5 inch diamter rubber hose/boot that connects the AFS to the throttle body, those crack in the grooves.

You still need to close it up.
Under 3k idle issues are AIR LEAKS.

At least in LJet.

Rich
mattp
I keep thinking it is an air leak, I have replaced all the vaum lines and sealed them, I then tested each one by spraying quick start at each connection, any other way to test? Matt
r_towle
the oil cap is the most frequent culprit.

QUOTE FROM PELICAN WEB SITE
This seal is very important, especially for 914 1.8 owners. Having a poor seal here results in a vacuum leak that can affect engine performance.

022-115-315-M100 Oil Filler Cap Seal, 914 1.8 (1974-76), Each
Brand: Genuine Porsche [Photo] [Photo]

$6.25

022-115-331-M213 Oil Filler Cap O-Ring, 914 1.8 (1974-76), Each
Brand: D P H [Photo]

Rich
mattp
I think it is my throttle position snesor or throttle switch. I unplugged it and it made no difference?
anyone know where I can get one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.