Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: psi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
what is the recommended psi for tires (falken azenis rt615) for street use?
autocross?
thanks
Allan
I run 30 lbs. all the way around for the street.

Seems to work for me...

I think it varies for a/x depending on the tires, suspension, track condition, etc...
SirAndy
QUOTE(will @ Feb 3 2007, 02:20 PM) *

what is the recommended psi for tires (falken azenis rt615) for street use?
autocross?

depends entirely on the make and model of your tires and i don't know nothing about the falken's ...

i run my goodyear R250 at 16lbs cold ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
anthony
If I put 30psi in my tires, my teeth rattle. I do a few psi over factory recommendations for street and for AX I bump it about 10 psi.
will
falken azenis rt615 recommends a max of 50 psi. I currently have it at 40 psi. would you go higher? Anyone running Azenis?
SirAndy
QUOTE(will @ Feb 3 2007, 08:31 PM) *

falken azenis rt615 recommends a max of 50 psi. I currently have it at 40 psi. would you go higher?

for AX, the lower, the better.

lower tire pressure means more stickage. until you start rolling over the sidewalls ...

start with your 40, mark the sidewalls, find a empty parking lot, do a few nice turns and see if the sidewalls are rolling over.
if not, drop pressure until you can clearly see them flexing, then up by 2 pounds or so.

that should get you very close to the optimum. just remember, when running, pressure will increase with heat, so once you know your prefered temperature, make sure you check them (and bleed if needed) after each AX run ...

for the street, i'd set them a few pounds over your AX pressure, ~5lbs plus or so ...

i'm running my street tires on 32lbs ...
Andy
sean_v8_914
several of the PCA San Diego guys down here run RT 615s, including me. they have much stiffer side walls than their predecesors. its my 3rd set. we all start at 25 psi cold. after a few laps you can take tire temps. the hotter tires will also show higher psi . fi the backs are higher psi or hotter than your loose, let a pound out. if the fronts are higher than your pushing.

on teh street I run 28psi. since Im not pulling Gs, teh tires dont get as hot and teh difference between hot and cold psi is not as dramatic
Borderline
When I bought my Azenis last year Trekkor recommended 39/41 psi f/r. They seemed to work pretty well, but I think I will try 25psi and see if I can feel the difference.
sean_v8_914
hmmm 39/41?

I wonder if his recomendation is based on teh old RT 215 version of teh Azinis. teh side wall was not so stiff.
...interesting because I know Trekkor gets his fair share of seat time. I hope he chimes in here.

next week I'll be getign a new set of RT 615s unless someone sells me on a different choice. I dont have enough points left to go softer

PS. Azinis are kinda soft for street use. OK on a fun car but they go away in less than a year if driven daily. I think I get about 10 events out of them

PSS. the factory recomendation on teh side of the tire typically states a max psi and not a running psi. if you put the max recommended psi when cold, it will be over when hot
sean_v8_914
you wisconsin guys can run 180 psi in teh garage cuase by the time the car gets outside there will be a vacuum in teh tire wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Doesn't all of this depend on what your car does at the track (oversteer/understeer)?

I can see a standard 36 psi recommendation for street (or whatever the manufacturer states) but at the AX track I've always thought it to be more specific to what the car is doing.

Understeer - You may want to let some out up front.
Oversteer - You may want to add some.

confused24.gif
Trekkor
My data is for the old 215's... BillD runs the 615's.

KT
Trekkor
Whatever you do, I would run the front tires 2 psi lower.

KT
sean_v8_914
yes, I tune based on what the car does. car setup will change results but teh temp thing holds true. if your scrubbing the tire it will get hot and expand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.