Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahle Gasburner Pricing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krk
Dropped in on the bird board this afternoon for a second -- noticed Otto adverts for Mahle gasburners:

> Mahles Gas Burners are $2k for a set of 4 after all the are the lightest wheel mounted by
> porsche on their cars. Steve
>
> Last edited by SteveStromberg on 11-15-2003 at 06:08 AM

2K as set (of 4). Hm. I'll admit it's been a while since I've been shopping, but that seems like a pretty stiff increase. Like 100%. Is this real or is it memorex?

kim.
redshift
It's steep. Highest I have seen so far.

Previously $1600 for 5 nicely refinished, with caps, I think.

M
krk
That certainly seems a little more sensible.

I shopped more actively perhaps 2 years ago, and then I would have said that 150-200 per wheel in good condition was what I was seeing. Otto's numbers are 500/wheel. No comments re: centercaps/lugs/etc. There seems to be tires in the pictures, but who can bet on brand/condition/etc.

I've not yet priced pro-refinishing so I'm not sure what that could run.

Nice to hear I've not lost it completely. Well, at least on that front. laugh.gif Thx for the post.

kim.
GWN7
I like the look of the bottom ones......
steve@ottosvenice.com
The gas burners have a rarity that most wheels do not have. If you need inexpensive wheels use Rivera's I have them for $25 each. The photo above is from
http://www.gasburner.net Steve
abm914
Hi all, the gasburners in the picture were all owned by a chap called Biaggio in England. He's a top class wheel polisher in his spare time. The black and polished wheels are now on my 914! (paid about $1400, polished with centrecaps).

IPB Image

Adam wink.gif
GWN7
Hi ABM914...yep I stole that picture off the UK Classic Porsche site.

Are the centers powder coated? or painted?
krk
abm914: they look great on yours!
gwn7: I'm guessing that the background coloring idea probably works with differing results based on car color. Is that what you meant? Or was it sort of a universal opinion for you?

kim.
rhodyguy
wow. i wish i had $6k worth of mags laying around. beers for everyone.

kevin
GWN7
In the picture I posted the ones in the front have the centers in Black. (the ones on abm914's car) This makes the centers look like they are deeper than the unpainted one above them. The unpainted ones centers look like they are raised to the level of the spokes. I like the look of the offset style. smile.gif
krk
GWN7: got it. I do like the black-background/polished-vein look. But it's sort of a car by car thing for me. I'm guessing that darker color cars show off the original style better than the lighter ones. But without pics, that's a saturday night judgement call!

kim.

(yeh, I'm gonna look for pics this weekend)
abm914
Hi all, the centres on the black wheels are just painted. Due to the crap weather in England, the wheels take a lot of work to keep the polished areas looking good. Mine have corroded a bit so I need to take the rims off and have them polished again.

Adam
Brad Roberts
Uh Steve ?

If you need inexpensive wheels use Rivera's I have them for $25 each.

Kim owns 2 9146's and a 930 Turbo.. I dont think he is looking for "cheap" wheels.

BTW Kim... Bontempi has about 4 sets of these gas burners in nice shape.

b
davep
The gasburners were not too popular in their day due to cracking. I do not believe that they were available in a tubeless version either. So, the light weight of the rim was offset by the need to use tubes in them. Are tubes still available? All of my tubes have been packed in boxes for twenty years at least.

DaveP
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(steve@ottosvenice.com @ Nov 22 2003, 04:30 PM)
The gas burners have a rarity that most wheels do not have. If you need inexpensive wheels use Rivera's I have them for $25 each.

there are 5-lug Rivieras ?
krk
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 23 2003, 02:48 AM)

BTW Kim... Bontempi has about 4 sets of these gas burners in nice shape.

b

ROFL -- You just wanna get me in trouble, don't you! I can imagine the reaction if I brough yet another set home -- my very understanding SO has sort of noticed how many wheels I have... oh oh.... so I'm now sorting through them. I've discovered that I can leave a set at Moddermans for extended periods of time, thus creating the appearance of motion and reduction of total wheel stock -- but it only works for a while... laugh.gif

The garage is a staging area for house reno materials and right now it's more her domain than mine! (she does most wood staining and so forth -- I lift things.) She recently started "rearranging things" to prepare for the return of the turbo from the paint shop -- it's get's the inside treatement from now on -- we may be only the second people on the court to actually put a car in the garage, which could get us voted out of the court -- we''ll see how long that lasts -- which led her to my stock of wheels (turns out I have something like 4 complete sets, plus extra spare tires and so forth and other stuff. (I mentioned else where that the realization that some of them (4-bolt) don't even fit any of my cars... ouch.. "but I like holding on to car parts") yeh, that one was a little lame -- I don't always think fast.

But I digress.

So gasburner's are not a tubeless tire? I did not know that. The fuchs from the day were tubeless though? (yeh, I've a set of 15"s for originality reasons but they need tires)

kim.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(krk @ Nov 23 2003, 07:51 AM)
So gasburner's are not a tubeless tire? I did not know that. The fuchs from the day were tubeless though?

i ran tubless tires on them and they worked just fine... not a recommendation, just an observation.

the very early Fuchs were also tube-type wheels... somebody (Jeroen?) had a nice page showing all the part numbers and classifications, with offsets, backspacing, sizes, and such ...
Mueller
so, by it being the "lightest Porsche production rim" it should cost more than lets say a 15x7 911R rim?? (35 or 43mm offset??)
smile.gif

being the lightest does not mean everything, if I'm correct, the Gasburners are only 5.5" wide, which is fine if you 1) have to have a rim that size, 2) like a rim that size for stock size tires (yes you can go a little wider) 3) just really dig that style rim

some people get all excited about them being the lightest rim, but you don't see too many racers (auto-x or time trailers) using them do you??

Last few times I've seen G/B's for sale, they've been in the 1000 to 1200 range for all four

Adams car looks great with the gasburners, he has the perfect combination of black and white on the car.

I also think the Gasburners look better on a 914 than a 911.
thesey914
Adam, did you just turn up really early to get a photo of your car on the lawns of Walton Hall? The photo I have is taken much later. Does Baggio still do the wheel polishing? I had his number somewhere from Stanford, his work was really excellent -my fuchs have some curbing so I think they may need more than hand polishing.
IPB Image
abm914
James

Adam, did you just turn up really early to get a photo of your car on the lawns of Walton Hall?

Yep, was the first '14 at Walton Hall. Got there so early in fact that they weren't ready to take any money on the gate, so didn't have to pay!!!!

Biagio has joined the classic porsche site if you need to get in contact.

Adam
Brad Roberts
Porsche "classic" site ??

B
abm914
Brad

The classic Porsche site is at

Classic-Porscheuk

Adam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.