Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Batteries, sizes, shapes, types
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
DanT
OK, will be putting in a new battery. It will either be going back into the stock location or possibly into the rear trunk (passenger side near front bulkhead of rear trunk)(right front corner of rear trunk).
What are folks using. This is a AX/DE/TT car that still has functioning lights. No radio, no heater, just the head and tail lights and the starter/ignition.

What are some options you guys have used for size and placement.

Large motorcycle batteries?

Pics and manufacturers, weights, sizes....

thanks sawzall-smiley.gif
ConeDodger
Dan,
I am just using a stock sized Optima in the stock location so not too innovative...

But... the coolest thing I ever saw was by a guy I used to room with. He bought a demo battery from Sears. A Diehard case with no interior plates. He then relocated his real motorcycle battery to another secret part of the car I never figured out. Inside the fake battery he put a cool can set up. The lid of the battery would come off and he could add ice. The lid had posts on it and the real battery cables were "extended" from this point to the ground and starter.
Worked very nicely... Probably no real advantage since he was always TTOD anyway but very trick.
DanT
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Feb 3 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Dan,
I am just using a stock sized Optima in the stock location so not too innovative...

But... the coolest thing I ever saw was by a guy I used to room with. He bought a demo battery from Sears. A Diehard case with no interior plates. He then relocated his real motorcycle battery to another secret part of the car I never figured out. Inside the fake battery he put a cool can set up. The lid of the battery would come off and he could add ice. The lid had posts on it and the real battery cables were "extended" from this point to the ground and starter.
Worked very nicely... Probably no real advantage since he was always TTOD anyway but very trick.

optima in the stock location is probably my first choice.

Just wanted to know if anyone was using a motorcycle battery and how it works out for them...

Even a battery for a Goldwing (1800cc Honda 6 cyl) uses a battery that is only ~13 pounds with ~310CCA and they are only about $80. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 3 2007, 04:46 PM) *

Just wanted to know if anyone was using a motorcycle battery and how it works out for them...

get the small 3-cell optima. half the size, lots of juice ...

put it down low, front trunk floor or pass. side cabin floor ...
driving.gif Andy
DanT
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 3 2007, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 3 2007, 04:46 PM) *

get the small 3-cell optima. half the size, lots of juice ...

put it down low, front trunk floor or pass. side cabin floor ...
driving.gif Andy

isn't the 3 cell only 6V? smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 3 2007, 08:11 PM) *

well, i *thought* i had seen a 12V 3-cell, but looking through their website, it looks like they're all 6V ...

sad.gif Andy
stownsen914
In my track car I use a battery that I got from Baker Precision (http://www.bakerprecision.com/battery.htm). I believe I have the PB19 model, which has 390 CCA and weights 15 lbs. It easily starts my 2.7L six every time.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2007, 03:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 3 2007, 08:11 PM) *

well, i *thought* i had seen a 12V 3-cell, but looking through their website, it looks like they're all 6V ...

sad.gif Andy

Mueller
mazda miatas supposed to have a nice small battery....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 4 2007, 11:35 PM) *

mazda miatas supposed to have a nice small battery....

that you can't get anywhere else but at the dealer.
and even they don't stock it, you have to order it through them.

dry.gif Andy
Borderline
Waiting for Nathan to chime in here. He has (oops had) a lite wt battery mounted in the driver's compartment next to the firewall between the seats. It's close to the CG and keep the cables a reasonable length.
DanT
QUOTE(Borderline @ Feb 6 2007, 08:25 PM) *

Waiting for Nathan to chime in here. He has (oops had) a lite wt battery mounted in the driver's compartment next to the firewall between the seats. It's close to the CG and keep the cables a reasonable length.

odessy pc680
nebreitling
yup, pc680, mounted behind the passenger seat. kept the cables stockish length (battery cables ain't light)...

had a tech-inspector look at it funny once -- i think he was uncomfortable with it being in the driver's compartment. given the sealed design and the fact that that the terminals were extremely well covered, he passed it.

pc680 is a tough little battery. plenty of power.
sww914
Wal Mart lawn tractor battery, 350cca, $25.00.
It always starts my car, even with 10.5/1 compression.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 8 2007, 12:48 PM) *

Wal Mart lawn tractor battery, 350cca, $25.00.
It always starts my car, even with 10.5/1 compression.

Alright! Now we're in my budget beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
We got a STS guy driving a Civic hatch. his car will not turn over unless his foot is off the brake door closed fans turned off. That little lawn mower battery don't have much grunt.

PC680 will turn over a 13:1 compression Type R Honda motor just fine even if it is cold and fussy.
it can also continue to spin my little motor even if I flood it.
drew365
I have the Odyssey 680 installed in my trunk. It's never let me down, even after sitting for long periods. I made a foam and balsa wood shell and set the Odyssey in the center thinking that if it ever died at the track and I needed to pick up a full size battery the tray and bracket would be ready to pop it in.

eg914
I have a Mazda Miata battery that I bought at Autozone in my daily driver. Starts the car even on cold days (Sacramento cold is around freezing). It was $85 a few months ago. Here is a picture (I hope). Please ignore the lightened battery tray!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.