Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CW pics needed.....58 356 "A" +/- a year....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Joe Bob
Anyone been to a Concour and have a stash of pics of 356 As? Need them to put together a plan for my 58 restoration.....the car is "supposed" to be for my asshole brother but he's yet to fund any of efforts as of yet.

Outlaw pics welcome.....I need detailed pics of engines and interiors....as well as exteriors.....thanks.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 3 2007, 09:01 PM) *

Anyone been to a Concour and have a stash of pics of 356 As? Need them to put together a plan for my 58 restoration.....the car is "supposed" to be for my asshole brother but he's yet to fund any of efforts as of yet.

Outlaw pics welcome.....I need detailed pics of engines and interiors....as well as exteriors.....thanks.

I have some interior pics of a '58, but they're from a Carrera Speedster. Don't know my 356's like I once did, do not sure it will be helpful. However, I do have a good source in Cincy. Let me see what I can come up with. Assume you want stock interiors.
Pat
Joe Bob
yes please....still would like to see the Carrera Speedster.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 3 2007, 09:08 PM) *

yes please....still would like to see the Carrera Speedster.

See what I can dredge up tomorrow
scotty b
First one is proabably the best one (most original) Others have some slight changes but are fairly close

Joe Bob
Cool, thanks.....

I have a LONG ways to go....

Click to view attachment

Do those look like single barrel Solexes?
scotty b
NLA has very nice repro stickers/decals for the engine pieces.

http://www.nlaparts.com/catalog/index.php
scotty b
Carbs should be Solex P 40 II. Anytime you think you have a long way to go remember my Roadster headbang.gif My coupe is only mildy better, it is at least in one chunk.Someday.......... huh.gif

Joe Bob
P 40s are two barrels....those look like singles.

That NLA site sucks for shopping...unless it's a featured item or you have a catalog....ya can't find anything. No search function.
scotty b
Oooopps your right. Zeniths were the single barrels.I don't remember the exact part number but if you need I think I have a set in a box I can take some pics of. NLA has a good catalog, they are new to the internet thing and haven't gotten the site up totally.
scotty b
Zenith 32 NDIX

http://www.356registry.org/tech/zenith_top...eplacement.html

Just thought about something on those carbs. Check the play on the throttle shaft bushings. I did a 1600 S engine last year that wouldn't tune right, vales,timing etc was triple checked. Ended up that the throttle shafts had enough play in the carb body that I could wiggle the linkage and change the idle. Letting additional air into the system.
Joe Bob
Got any of the Knect air cleaners? Looks like I need a set to replace those cheesy ones that are on the engine.....
scotty b
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 4 2007, 10:23 AM) *

Got any of the Knect air cleaners? Looks like I need a set to replace those cheesy ones that are on the engine.....

Pretty sure my old boss does. I'll see him this Fri and find out for sure. Let me know if you get them elsewhere in the mean time.
scotty b
Um yeah there was a Solex single throat. 32 AND 40 PBIC. This is why I stick with metal werk. I can't keep all that mechanical shit sorted out in my head blink.gif
Joe Bob
Can't tell from the angle....THEY might be singles....I guess I'll know in a week more or less....
Joe Bob
It was supposed to be here today....weenie truck driver says the truck broke down....r i g h t.....so next week.
scotty b
Zenith's with 2 1/2" throat.
Joe Bob
I'm bidding on some air cleaners that have a 2 inch opening.

If the fargin car was here I could tell what the hell I have....lazy, lying, bastard trucker flat out didn't feel like coming up to Santa Barbara...prick.
scotty b
Actually I think you have Zenith's on that car. If you look at my first pic, the left carb is actually on the right intake. Swap the carbs and they look like the ones on your car. I got these in the box,put them on the shelf and never paid attention to how they were packed. Maybe that's why the DAPO couldn't get them to run right laugh.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 3 2007, 09:01 PM) *

Have been having major problems uploading pics for the last week. Here are links to the pics of the '58 Carrera Speedster interior. Same owner for over 40 years, raced it when he first got it (hence the roll bar), restored in the late '90's.

First pic: original mirrors, green vinyl sportseats & oatmeal carpeting.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/91...eiss58001-1.jpg

Second pic: Rollbar is removable, top is unoriginal, but he does have the original - likes this one for airflow.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/91.../weiss58002.jpg

Since he is one of the premier 356 people in the country & one of the top engine builders, he gets lots of 356's in his garage. Talked to him & he will start taking more pics to forward to you.
Pat
Joe Bob
Thanks Pat....I let the air cleaners go to a higher bidder as I have no idea as to whether they would fit or not.....just got delivery of a 6v gel cell battery.....I forgot how much fun 6v cars are.....
markb
Mike, check with John at the shop. We *used to* have a lot of 356 stuff stashed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.