Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel fiting the 914-6 steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
What factory VDM 911 steering wheel fits the 914-6 steering column? Is an early 911s OK?

Thanks,

Bob
Lightweight_911
Any Factory 911 steering wheel from '65-'73 will physically fit the 914/6 column but they will be too big - 914 steering wheels (both 4 & 6 cyl versions) were 380mm diameter whereas the 911 versions were either 420mm (swb) or 400mm (lwb).

Any 914 steering wheel can be adapted/modified to fit the 914/6 column (all 914 & 914/6 wheels have the same splines) - the 4 cyl versions will need the rear black plastic 'spacer' removed & the rear of the wheel drilled/tapped/countersunk to accept the correct turnsignal-cancelling ring. The correct 914/6 wheel already has these countersunk/tapped holes.
burton73
I see the drilled/tapped/countersunk holes to accept the correct turnsignal-cancelling ring and lots of the wheels have turnsignal-cancelling ring for 911s are you saying this will not work on my 911 column? What wheel is used in this 916 car? I have a 400MM set to buy.

Thanks,

Bob
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 4 2007, 09:30 AM) *

I see the drilled/tapped/countersunk holes to accept the correct turnsignal-cancelling ring and lots of the wheels have turnsignal-cancelling ring for 911s are you saying this will not work on my 911 column? What wheel is used in this 916 car? I have a 400MM set to buy.

Thanks,

Bob

I don't think he is saying you can't use it, but the stock 914 wheel was already

large, if your a bus driver maybe you will be happier with a giant wheel.

There is a company that makes a smaller version of the stock 914 wheel

(out of stock P wheels). I have seen one on this site, looked really bitchen.
dflesburg
Just take the black cone plastic thing off the back of a nice 914 wheel and poof! you have a 914-6 wheel
dflesburg
oh yeah

you might want to swap shafts from one column to the other... I don't remember anymore..

so much water and issues under the bridge.... I have forgotten more than I know.
burton73
I am building this car to what you see in the 916 picture are far as color of car and color of leather interior but with one moving seat. The Steering wheel gives me the feel I had in my 70-911s. My first Porsche. One of a lot of cars. The wheel had a feeling that should make my mind go back in time. When you are older than 50 you may understand. This picture is the interior now and the wheel is a little small. Nothing wrong with it as there is anything wrong with the seat just not for this car.

Thanks,

Bob
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 4 2007, 10:20 AM) *

When you are older than 50 you may understand. Thanks,

Bob

howard.gif

Bob i'll be 50 this year, your wheel will be personal preferance. I go for a

wheel that is comfortable and inhances the handling of the car. I have

found that a smaller wheel cuts down the turns it takes to reach the same

wheel placement. Less hand movement. IMHO
burton73
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 4 2007, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 4 2007, 10:20 AM) *

When you are older than 50 you may understand. Thanks,

Bob

howard.gif

Bob i'll be 50 this year, your wheel will be personal preferance. I go for a

wheel that is comfortable and inhances the handling of the car. I have

found that a smaller wheel cuts down the turns it takes to reach the same

wheel placement. Less hand movement. IMHO

Paul,

Thanks. I will hold off in the wheel till I can find one that is correct look and size. You have saved me from getting the wrong part. Thanks.

Bob
Bleyseng
the 916 looks like it has the stock 914/6 wheel in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.