Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB New Chrome Steelies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
Hello World,

I am looking for chrome steelies (is that an oxymoron - or am I a moron for wanting them) for my 72 (4 bolt lug).

I will keep my steelies (pitted badly) in case I hate the chromes.......

I thought Performance Products had them - but that was awhile ago.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
brant
Mike,

where in Kansas are you?

sorry I don't have any leads on the wheels.
brant
Kansas 914
Hi Brant,

Just outside Wichita.

I haven't seen another 914 around since I moved here (from Dallas) in 2001.

markb
mikez had some chromies made special a while back. Maybe he would know. Personally I like the look. smile.gif
brant
Hi Mike,

there are a couple of teeners on the board from your area.
the PCA group has a few nice guys with teeners.

I think I'll be running mine at heartland park this summer for a vintage race. give some thought to coming out!

brant
Kansas 914
Mark - Thanks for the info - I will check with mikez

Brant - I will make Heartland Park for sure. I was there for the runoffs last year (a friend of mine from Florida was there in Spec Racer Ford). I haven't gotten involved with PCA here but need to. My neighbor has a '78 911SC an we keep saying we are going to get involved... and then another year passes.
Pat Garvey
I personally prefer the look of the chromes, though I've had my steelies restored & have them on the car right now. Use the chromies for regular driving, to save the originals for most shows.

Got my chromies from PP about 20 years ago & with reasonable care they've lasted as good as new. Wouldn't want them get near salt though.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 4 2007, 08:43 AM) *

I personally prefer the look of the chromes, though I've had my steelies restored & have them on the car right now. Use the chromies for regular driving, to save the originals for most shows.

Got my chromies from PP about 20 years ago & with reasonable care they've lasted as good as new. Wouldn't want them get near salt though.

That is exactly what I am looking for - great for daily driving - a liitle bit of WOW - without losing originality completely.
IronHillRestorations
I have a set of NOS (New Old Stock) not (Nasty Old S#*&!) chrome wheels. I don't know the backspacing right off hand, but I think they may be the VW backspacing, which actually gives a little wider stance, but would prohibit anything larger than a 195/60. $260 plus actual UPS. PM me if you are interested. Here's a pic I found.
Joe Bob
www.jbugs.com

They have special offset for the 914s. You HAVE to call them and ask for the owner, they aren't listed on the website. I'm running 7s and 8s on my Bath Tub....
Gint
Somebody say chrome steelies? Not for sale, but here's a pic anyway.

IPB Image
ahdoman
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 4 2007, 11:59 AM) *

www.jbugs.com

They have special offset for the 914s. You HAVE to call them and ask for the owner, they aren't listed on the website. I'm running 7s and 8s on my Bath Tub....

Mike -
Will those wheels (speedster) fit on the 914 w/ GT flares?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Feb 4 2007, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 4 2007, 11:59 AM) *

www.jbugs.com

Mike -
Will those wheels (speedster) fit on the 914 w/ GT flares?

Ones in the pic are VW offset. I don't know if they will....you can come down and try them out if ya want.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 4 2007, 02:00 PM) *

Somebody say chrome steelies? Not for sale, but here's a pic anyway.

IPB Image

Great photo - now I know I want them. I think that is a combination that is hard to beat - at least for my stock looking '72.
r_towle
The way to properly restore a chrome wheel (think CW 356 crowd) is to cut the middle out...I.E. cut the weld that hold the middle in.
Clean and chrome each piece seperately
Then re-weld them.

So, that being said.
Any decent wheel shop, or the resotration shops can take a 15*9 inch ford wheel, and weld a 914 center into it without blinking an eye, and they can set it to any backspacing you need.

Rich
brant
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 4 2007, 09:17 AM) *

Mark - Thanks for the info - I will check with mikez

Brant - I will make Heartland Park for sure. I was there for the runoffs last year (a friend of mine from Florida was there in Spec Racer Ford). I haven't gotten involved with PCA here but need to. My neighbor has a '78 911SC an we keep saying we are going to get involved... and then another year passes.

Cool,
would be great to meet you
its not a PCA event though.
its a vintage club event.
its a late addition to our calendar
the dates not 100% yet, so I'll update when its finalized.
(june or july)

will be a good time, with lots of different types of cars
brant
Kansas 914
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 4 2007, 08:14 PM) *

Cool,
would be great to meet you
its not a PCA event though.
its a vintage club event.
its a late addition to our calendar
the dates not 100% yet, so I'll update when its finalized.
(june or july)

will be a good time, with lots of different types of cars
brant

Brant,

Have you been to Hartland Park before? I'm curious as to your take on the track/facilities.

I love Vintage Racing - hope to get to Laguna Seca for the Monterey Historic Races (August 17 - 19).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.