Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a thread on Steel Flare install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Saw a thread on a steel flare install with photos recently, but searched here and other location with no luck. Anyone have a link?

Thanks.
John
How about these

Steel GT flare.....

Steel flare installation.......

A few more pics here.....
Bad GT flare.....

This s my Favorite (really)
GT metal flares ......

Do your own search f these don't work for you. (It took all of 1 minute for these)
gregrobbins
Thanks John, I did find those, but there was one that was more detailed. The last one is very good and close, but the one I am looking for had detail about measuring and cutting the existing quarter panels.
TJB/914
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Feb 4 2007, 02:56 PM) *

Thanks John, I did find those, but there was one that was more detailed. The last one is very good and close, but the one I am looking for had detail about measuring and cutting the existing quarter panels.

Greg,

I had this one in my files. Is this the one you were looking for??

Tom
gregrobbins
Got that, thanks. There was one recently where the guy showed details of setting the flares on the fenders and correct spacing for the rockers. How the fenders were cut, and detail of all the steps from tacking to finish welding to grinding to body filler for smoothing.
John
Are you looking for this? It's not too recent, but....

AA Extreme Makeover
jfort
on one of these steel flare threads, someone recommended so flared rocker panels saying they matched the flares well. now i can't find that thread. help. what are others doing to have the rockers match the flares?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 4 2007, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Feb 4 2007, 02:56 PM) *

Greg,

I had this one in my files. Is this the one you were looking for??

Tom

beautiful picture. I drew this myself. We measured both the factory m-471 gt car and the 916. Funny how they vary! This should be a great guide though for proper placement. Too many match the flares to the aftermarket rocker panels and therefore get them on wrong
John
From what I have seen and read, the flared rocker panels you can buy are very poor. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I haven't seen any.

I think what needs to happen is one of 2 things:

A. Mount the fender flares where they need to go and fit everything to them.

B. Obtain all parts (flares, rockers, front and rear valences) and shuffle all parts together to make everything align and then mount the fenders in this position. (The flare positioning may not be symmetrical.)

just my $0.02
gopack
On my flare install, the body guys used the jack post and the flared rockers for reference, and the (previously uncut) front wheel arches matched well. I had cut the rear fenders, so it was a bit of a crap shoot. before we left the body shop, we test fitted the wheels to make sure it wasn't all out of line. I got the rocker from Performance products, and it fit really well. There are a few pictures of the flare install on my progress thread, and probably more on my photobucket account, but not the kind of detail i think you are looking for. If I was there for all the work, I would have really concentrated on how the bottoms line up and what was needed to make them flow with the rest of the existing fenders. if you wnat any detailed pictures of how the flares terminate on the bottom, let me know and I will take pictures as soon as it gets above 15 degrees or so!

P.S. Sorry for stealing your avatar idea! It works better for states that are more distinctively shaped, so I didnt have to change Stutgart to Wisconsin like you had to do!
Phoenix-MN
It could have been my thread. When I did my install of factory flares, I lined up the rockers on the jack hole points and then positioned the flares. Measurements came out very close to George's drawing.

http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/flares.html

Paul
gregrobbins
Paul, yours was the one I was looking for. Thanks for posting!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.