Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT that monitors all four cylinders?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I want to add a CHT to my 2tr. After shopping around, it seems the aircraft suppy houses have the best deals.
I was thinking about a Westach Model that allows you to switch between any of the 4 cylinders. It is not temperature compensating...how impt. is that? I thought I would leave it monitoring cylinder 3 (the hotest) normally.

1) Is temperature compensating that important?
2) Am I wasting my money on one that monitors all four?
3) Is the range of 0-600 by 50 degree increments accruate enough?
4) Digital?
Sorry for all the questions, but I figure many of you have already answered these questions for yourselves.

Second picture a little better to see but it's the 100-700 range option
McMark
As long as you understand that your gauge isn't compensating then you're fine. You have to do the math in your head. If the gauge was calibrated at 72 degrees and it's 52 outside, then you have to 72-52=20 so head temps are 20 degrees higher than what the gauge is saying. Not having compensation isn't BAD, it's just a hassle and it's something you need to be aware of.

Monitoring all four isn't necessary if you know your induction (FI/Carbs) are tuned well, or at least evenly. CHT is not the greatest way to tune the induction either (common thought).

Most CHT reading you'll be interested in are from 200 to 400. So the more resolution you have in that range the better. My Micro1000 gauge is a little hard to read because the numbers are so small. But on the other hand, I may not be able to see if it's 250 or 260, but I can sure tell the difference between 250 or 300. So that's good enough.

Digital is nice because you get an accurate, readable temperature. But you have to make an aesthetic choice there.
turbo914v8
Same company how about this guage.

Quad gauge
Joe Bob
Just hang a sensor on #3 and be done with it....EGT also is a good thing.
Hoss
Or go with a set up that monitors four temperatures like this one.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 4 2007, 10:04 AM) *

Just hang a sensor on #3 and be done with it....EGT also is a good thing.

agree.gif

just keep it simple and not over 400F
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.